Seatime OSV

First off sorry if I touch on topic that might already be shared on here. I searched and didn’t find it. But it’s given that it’s around.

I am currently hold Master 500 NC / 3000 ITC. Next month looking to upgrade to Master 1600 NC / 3000 ITC.

As far as I know you have to have 720 days as Master/ Mate. 360 days over 100. Tons.

I work on offshore OSV. As of March 2014 changes, does my seatime on OSV working a 12 hour watch still count for 1.5 day of seatime???

Any help is appreciated.

Yes, just make sure that the company writes up your sea service letter in 8 hour day equivalents.

Is that different than before when they write that you worked so and so in a 12 hour period?

I hope not. That's how all mine are written. Should be fine.

[QUOTE=samat3;152962]Yes, just make sure that the company writes up your sea service letter in 8 hour day equivalents.[/QUOTE]

Negative.

The company does not have the authority to write up sea time in that fashion.

They can write up the calendar days on board that were actually worked and state they were 12 hr watches. The final decision is up to the USCG as to whether or not your vessel is approved for a 2 watch system.

Day and half sea time is complete and utter bullshit just like company sea time letters, but don’t start leading people to believe that the companies can type up whatever they want. Too many already do.

The system is already a joke, let’s not make it worse.

Day and a half for a day seatime for those of us standing watch 12 hours a day on vessels that are allowed to run a two watch system is legal and appropriate.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;152970]Day and a half for a day seatime for those of us standing watch 12 hours a day on vessels that are allowed to run a two watch system is legal and appropriate.[/QUOTE]

So then how is it appropriate for ship’s mariners working multi-faceted 12-14 hrs a day (not all the time, but a lot of it) to only get 1 day for each calendar day aboard?

I never said it wasn’t legal, just that it is BS. We need one system across the board.
No mariner should be able to upgrade a license faster than any other just because they worked on a different type of vessel.

You mean that those of us that didn’t happen to go to KP for free at taxpayer expense should get be able to use our many years of under 1600 GRT seatime toward unlimited licenses the same as they do in Canada, the UK, and everywhere else in the world? I could agree with that.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;152985]You mean that those of us that didn’t happen to go to KP for free at taxpayer expense should get be able to use our many years of under 1600 GRT seatime toward unlimited licenses the same as they do in Canada, the UK, and everywhere else in the world? I could agree with that.[/QUOTE]

Really, KP? My dreaded achilles heel which the bare mention of renders me incapacitated… You know I’d just as soon see the place razed. However, since you are so smart, then you must be intentionally lying saying that it is “free at taxpayer expense.”

Don’t change or twist the subject; this is just a discussion about national licensing. I could give a shit about what other countries do. You don’t like the UL license scheme here, move to one of those grandiose places you mentioned.

And if you don’t like day and a half time, move to any other country that doesn’t give credit for it!

Any one have an idea how the coast guard would interpret “cargo mate” on a sea time letter? I’m getting moved to a new vessel as the cargo mate and I’m pretty sure the company is going to put cargo Mate on the sea time letter. I have a feeling this is going to hold me back from upgrading. Any thoughts anyone?

One of the great things about America is that we all have the right to petition government to things differently

Since the government decided to sign on to the IMO STCW system, it seems reasonable to advocate that the US change its requirements to more closely conform to the other STCW countries.

I still think it will just state mate or OICNW. I’ll ask our cargo mate and see if he knows.

[QUOTE=z-drive;153010]And if you don’t like day and a half time, move to any other country that doesn’t give credit for it![/QUOTE]

I figured that was coming, but rolled the dice anyway. I don’t like that they (USCG) use different standards to apply a 1.5 for 1 rule. Anybody working 12 hrs a day should get it, or no one should.

I partially agree when you’re working nonsense hours on a foreign coastwise run or working cargo, but when it’s 8 hours plus 4 optional OT what would stop it from being given to everyone out of convenience? Time should just count on a regular factor regardless, with the requirements revised in some cases to make it more practical for certain upgrades.

I too cringe thinking someone is mashing buttons pushing into the bank for weeks at a time getting time and a half.

Same as Those MSC hacks who never get underway.

If you’re talking about MSC the NMC has accepted it as chief mate or second mate time. I know a few people that moved on up without much watch standing. I know at least one guy that went from new third mate to chief mate and never stood a single day of OICNW (I hear he now holds a master unlimited but hasn’t sailed in it). It’s all a farce.

[QUOTE=DeckApe;153043]If you’re talking about MSC the NMC has accepted it as chief mate or second mate time. I know a few people that moved on up without much watch standing. I know at least one guy that went from new third mate to chief mate and never stood a single day of OICNW (I hear he now holds a master unlimited but hasn’t sailed in it). It’s all a farce.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Its all a farce!

I can only imagine that they will list your time as Mate or OINCW not “Cargo Mate”. They can’t issue time for a position not recognized by the USCG. Like for an example “2nd, or 3rd Captain”

[QUOTE=PR-9;153170]I can only imagine that they will list your time as Mate or OINCW not “Cargo Mate”. [/QUOTE]

OICNW? As in an [I]officer in charge of a navigational watch [/I]that doesn’t stand navigational watches…?

Judging by the picture in the guys profile. I am guessing he works a HOS and a “Cargo Mate” it’s a regular mate that does stands a navigational watch underway as well as on DP. The only difference is that they assist the engineers with Mud transfer and ballast operations.