Sea Time question

I want to test for Mate 500 Near Coastal. I currently hold Master 200 Near Coastal, Master 500 Inland/Great Lakes. I noticed that the sea service requirements for the Mate 500 NC is pretty much the same as the service required for the Master 200 NC which I have already. So can I apply to test based on sea service already submitted?

I don’t have enough time >100 GRT yet to sit for the Master 500 NC.

Something else for you to look at is the OICNW assessments for a mate’s license. You should be able to test for the national part, but assessments may be needed for the STCW. Those assessments need to be on a vessel bigger than 200 gt.

“Those assessments need to be on a vessel bigger than 200 gt.”

I thought they changed it to 100 tons? I might be wrong though. The way I’m looking at the checklist on the NMC site, all you need for tonnage is 360 days over 50tons for 500t mate. And 360 days over 100t for 1600t mate.

[QUOTE=fishyluke;155396]I want to test for Mate 500 Near Coastal. I currently hold Master 200 Near Coastal, Master 500 Inland/Great Lakes. I noticed that the sea service requirements for the Mate 500 NC is pretty much the same as the service required for the Master 200 NC which I have already. So can I apply to test based on sea service already submitted?

I don’t have enough time >100 GRT yet to sit for the Master 500 NC.[/QUOTE]

You can’t be approved based on time “already submitted.” But you can use the same time over again, but you’re going to have to re-submit it. You will also need to show at least 90 days of service in the past 3 years.

[QUOTE=dncartersweatte1993;155404]“Those assessments need to be on a vessel bigger than 200 gt.”

I thought they changed it to 100 tons? I might be wrong though. The way I’m looking at the checklist on the NMC site, all you need for tonnage is 360 days over 50tons for 500t mate. And 360 days over 100t for 1600t mate.[/QUOTE]

You are referring to getting the national license. I was pointing out that for his stcw he should see all thats involved for the OICNW assessments before he gets commited. To my knowledge, I could be wrong, the OICNW assessments need to happen on a boat bigger than 200. I was going to go for a 1600 ton mate last year and did my assessments and remember seeing in the checklists the OICNW was the same. Either way it is best to research well before you spend the money for evaluation.

Or you can do like I do and have painfully drawn out one sided cryptic emails with the NMC that take weeks.

[QUOTE=dncartersweatte1993;155404]“Those assessments need to be on a vessel bigger than 200 gt.”

I thought they changed it to 100 tons? I might be wrong though. The way I’m looking at the checklist on the NMC site, all you need for tonnage is 360 days over 50tons for 500t mate. And 360 days over 100t for 1600t mate.[/QUOTE]

Partially right,and for the wrong reason. And you’re mixing up a several different things. The minimum tonnage for service for an unlimited license was changed from 200 GRT to 100 GRT.

For assessments for STCW endorsement as OICNW. there generally is no tonnage requirement, the vessel needs to be capable of performing the assessment. Also, the assessor has to have at least one year of experience as the OICNW on a vessel over 200 GRT/500 GT. A vessel under that tonnage may not have anyone on board who meets that criteria.

If you go for the STCW endorsement for OICNW, there are other things you’ll need besides assessments. You will need a valid radar observer endorsement, and the following courses:

Basic Safety Training
Proficiency in Survival Craft
Advanced Fire Fighting
Bridge Resource Management
GMDSS (to work on a vessel with GMDSS)
ARPA (to work on a vessel with ARPA).

There will be a lot more required courses after December 31, 2016. If you are considering an endorsement as OICNW, you should do it sooner rather than later.

Derail the thread here, but is there any provision for us Towing vessel folks? Comical, but I don’t think I have a year over 200GRT as almost every tug I’ve worked on is under 200; this applies to a lot of guys. Rules are rules, just curious if there are any exceptions? Would combined tonnage count?

I have all those other things except BRM and GMDSS… Just need to get the sea time over 100 GRT… I work on a tug over 100 GRT so I will eventually have the time… Though my current licenses would allow me to complete a TOAR and sail as mate, my employers want 500/1600 ton Oceans licenses/ STCWin the wheelhouse, even though they rarely sail foreign…

Hawsepiping is getting expensive!