Hold 500 Master-What do I need for 1600 mate

Hi to all,

I just recently passed my exams and obtained 500 master NC. I had 100 master NC for 3 yrs before upgrading. I do have time on big boats as Able seaman, so when I upgraded my license to 500 master i thought the coast guard would have automatically given me 1600 mate along with it, but they didn’t. So my question is… to get 1600 mate do i just have to apply for it with sea time and the coast guard will issue it to me, or will I have to test for it ?? Thanks in advance for any answers

Did you apply for it along with your 500 ton Master? I did the exact same thing, twenty years ago, and when I then applied later for 1600 ton Mate they just gave it to me. But that was before everything changed in 2002 so I don’t know what you’re going to have to do.

§ 11.414 Service requirements for mate of ocean steam or motor vessels of not more than 1600 gross tons.

The minimum service required to qualify an applicant for an endorsement as mate of ocean steam or motor vessels of not more than 1600 gross tons is:
(a) Three years total service in the deck department of ocean or near coastal steam or motor, sail, or auxiliary sail vessels. Service on Great Lakes and inland waters may substitute for up to 18 months of the required service. One year of the required service must have been on vessels of over 100 gross tons. One year of the required service must have been as a master, mate master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels, or equivalent supervisory position while holding a license or MMC endorsement as master, mate, master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels. Six months of the required service as master, mate, master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels, or equivalent supervisory position must have been on vessels of over 100 gross tons; or,
(b) Three years total service in the deck department on ocean or near coastal steam or motor, sail, or auxiliary sail vessels of over 200 gross tons. Six months of the required service must have been as able seaman.
[CGD 81–059, 54 FR 138, Jan. 4, 1989, as amended by USCG–1999–6224, 64 FR 63228, Nov. 19, 1999; 66 FR 20936, Apr. 26, 2001; USCG–2006–24371, 74 FR 11241, Mar. 16, 2009

No, i did not apply for it with my 500. I think I’ll just re apply, and go from there. Hopefully they’ll just issue it to me, and not make me test again. Thanks man

[quote=Capt_Anonymous;12062]Did you apply for it along with your 500 ton Master? I did the exact same thing, twenty years ago, and when I then applied later for 1600 ton Mate they just gave it to me. But that was before everything changed in 2002 so I don’t know what you’re going to have to do.
[B]
§ 11.414 Service requirements for mate of ocean steam or motor vessels of not more than 1600 gross tons.[/B]

The minimum service required to qualify an applicant for an endorsement as mate of ocean steam or motor vessels of not more than 1600 gross tons is:
(a) Three years total service in the deck department of ocean or near coastal steam or motor, sail, or auxiliary sail vessels. Service on Great Lakes and inland waters may substitute for up to 18 months of the required service. One year of the required service must have been on vessels of over 100 gross tons. One year of the required service must have been as a master, mate master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels, or equivalent supervisory position while holding a license or MMC endorsement as master, mate, master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels. Six months of the required service as master, mate, master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels, or equivalent supervisory position must have been on vessels of over 100 gross tons; or,
(b) Three years total service in the deck department on ocean or near coastal steam or motor, sail, or auxiliary sail vessels of over 200 gross tons. Six months of the required service must have been as able seaman.
[CGD 81–059, 54 FR 138, Jan. 4, 1989, as amended by USCG–1999–6224, 64 FR 63228, Nov. 19, 1999; 66 FR 20936, Apr. 26, 2001; USCG–2006–24371, 74 FR 11241, Mar. 16, 2009[/quote]

If you just took your unrestricted 500 Ton Master NC and already have at least 1 year of sea time as an AB on vessels over 200 tons you should be able to automatically upgrade to 1600 ton Master after 1 year of sea time with no further testing. Worst case scenario you have to do 2 years as 500 ton Master and then automatically upgrade to 1600 ton Master. That is what I did. I tested off a crew boat for my 500 ton Master and then 2 years sea time they issued my 1600 ton Master with sea time only. You should have a 3000 ton ITC endorsement on your license. If you don’t you can get it with 90 days sea time on a vessel over 1600 tons ITC. With that endorsement you can run as Master on almost any of the newer supply vessels because they are all under the ITC tonnage and most do not even have a domestic tonnage designation. Also you can qualify for the large OSV program that will allow you to operate vessels over 3000 tons ITC as Master. If I am understanding you correctly getting your 1600 ton mate would be more trouble than it is worth. If you want the 1600 ton Mate I am pretty sure you would have to test for it. After you get it you would be getting your 1600 ton Master shortly after so you might as well just do it once.

Thanks Capt. Lee !!