Question on 1600 ton mate

Trying to make some sense out of this…

The minimum service required to qualify an applicant for an endorsement as mate of ocean steam or motor vessels of not more than 1600 gross tons is:
(a) Three years total service in the deck department of ocean or near coastal steam or motor, sail, or auxiliary sail vessels. Service on Great Lakes and inland waters may substitute for up to 18 months of the required service. One year of the required service must have been on vessels of over 100 gross tons.
I meet this requirement

One year of the required service must have been as a master, mate master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels, or equivalent supervisory position while holding a license or MMC endorsement as master, mate, master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels.

I meet this requirement as there is no tonnage minimum specified.

Six months of the required service as master, mate, master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels, or equivalent supervisory position must have been on vessels of over 100 gross tons;

This is the one I am having difficulty with…I hold 100 ton master and 200 ton mate NC, along with AB unlim…I work on a 300 Ton vessel…I don’t see where my credentials fit the category of " equivalent supervisory position"…

How does one go about filling this requirement as an AB?

One thought I have been having, is testing for 1600 GL/inl …After getting that license I could then have the company write my sea service letters as a " mate in training" The requirement just calls for 6 months service…In the meantime I will be taking the STCW OICNW courses for the Oceans endorsement…Would something like that fly?

or,
(b) Three years total service in the deck department on ocean or near coastal steam or motor, sail, or auxiliary sail vessels of over 200 gross tons. Six months of the required service must have been as able seaman.
[CGD 81–059, 54 FR 138, Jan. 4, 1989, as amended by USCG–1999

I 'm just shy of a year on this requirement ,so it’s not an option at this time…

Hey there Shellback:

…One year of the required service must have been as a master, mate master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels, or equivalent supervisory position while holding a license or MMC endorsement as master, mate, master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels.
I meet this requirement as there is no tonnage minimum specified…

Ya I dont read any tonnage requirment either… BUT I dont think we can use the Small Vessel Sea Service Form and self certify our time.

…Six months of the required service as master, mate, master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels, or equivalent supervisory position must have been on vessels of over 100 gross tons;…

Sounds like we are going to have to be a mate on a boat greater than 100 grt. Take a look at the 1600 mate NC only check list. There is not master/mate requirment only AB time and tonnage, plus the bulk time.

Ill have the time and tonnage for 1600 NC mate and thought Id take the OICNW courses then go do 180 days as mate on >100 grt boat. Ta-Da: 1600 grt mate Ocean

But that is my take.
Bob

Thanks Bob, that is what I saw too…The 1600 Ton NC is what I figured on too but when the ultimate goal is unlimited, you keep looking for the next level…

They have an updated checklist that is the most comprehensive I’ve seen. It may explain the sea service requirements for you. In reading your posts there are some other items that I’m not so sure you are aware of, or maybe they don’t apply to you for various reasons, either way I think it could help.

There is more than one flavor of this checklist, so start here and select the one you’re interested in: http://uscg.mil/nmc/checklists.asp

Thanks Cal, the only question I have is what does the CG mean when they refer to equivalent supervisory position.??

I have almost every checklist that the CG has on their web site ,printed off and cataloged in my note book.I think they are the most current ones…If there are something you think I may be overlooking I would appreciate it if you could point them out…I am never opposed to more information…

I have almost every checklist that the CG has on their web site ,printed off and cataloged in my note book.I think they are the most current ones…

Make sure they are the most current ones. I had one saved on my computer for about 2 years that I kept referring to. In a class I had about 6 months ago the obnoxious instructor gave us updated sheets, but it was generic, it merely listed the basic requirements for a license. The format of it however was different than what I had, so I went and checked and the CG had changed it, not only the format, but the content. Before I posted today I checked again, you guessed it, another change.

On the 3 year old form it states, “equivalent supervisory position”. On the 6 month old and new form it states, “equivalent position”.

The terminology matches the updated CFR as revised 10/1/2008. Service requirements for mate of near coastal steam or motor vessels of not more than 1600 gross tons.

Make sure you’re using current tools and backup…

Cal, thanks again, thats a very good lesson…

The original post I took off NMC’s site two days ago…unreal…

Well I am off to start the first, of the many OICNW courses…see ya all later…

try 46 10.416 2 years seatime on deck and 180 days as ab of that 2 years 1 year may be inland the way i read it there are several ways to go about it but if you need the ocean right now go for it