Requirements for 3rd Mate oceans to 1600t Master

I currently hold a 3rd mate unlimited oceans license. I would like to obtain a 1600 ton masters near coastal license. My coast guard evaluator has informed me that i am required to take all of the modules for the 1600 ton license. This makes no sense to me. I’m going from an upper level license to a lower level license. I should just be able to pay the required fee’s and be issued the 1600ton masters near coastal license, end of story. Am i missing something?

Are you sailing 3rd now and do you have enough time for your 2nd’s? You can take the crossover exam when you upgrade.

[B]§ 11.412 Service requirements for master of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of not more than 1600 gross tons.[/B]

The minimum service required to qualify an applicant for an endorsement as master of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of not more than 1600 gross tons is:
(a) Four years total service on ocean or near coastal waters. Service on Great Lakes and inland waters may substitute for up to two years of the required service. Two years of the required service must have been on vessels of over 100 gross tons. Two years of the required service must have been as a master, mate master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels, or equivalent supervisory position while holding a license or MMC endorsement as master, mate, master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels. One year of the service as master, mate, master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels, or equivalent supervisory position must have been on vessels of over 100 gross tons; or,
B An applicant holding a license or MMC endorsement as chief mate or second mate of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of over 1600 gross tons is eligible for this endorsement upon completion of a limited examination.[/B]
[CGD 81–059, 54 FR 138, Jan. 4, 1989, as amended by USCG–1999–6224, 64 FR 63228, Nov. 19, 1999; 66 FR 20936, Apr. 26, 2001; USCG–2006–24371, 74 FR 11241, Mar. 16, 2009]

46 CFR 10.403 shows the crossover as 2nd mate AGT to 1600 Master w/ limited exam…not 3rd Mate AGT.

It is confusing, but an Unlimited 3rd mates license is NOT a Masters license. To put into another context, what is the largest vessel you can be a master of with a 3rd mate?

[QUOTE=cappy208;35251]…To put into another context, what is the largest vessel you can be a master of with a 3rd mate?[/QUOTE]

Any vessel less than 100 GRT. See 46 CFR 15.901(a)

Thanks for that; I was trying to get him to figure it out, but nothing like leading lemmings around! This is one of the hardest trials to show recent graduates, that their license is NOT superior or ‘better’ than anyone else. But they must matriculate UP the system to advance. I have actually had a trainee (out of frustration at his inability to get signed off) hold his 3rd mates license out to me and ask: “Why won’t you sign me off since ‘my license is bigger than yours’!!!” Hmmm. sort of hard to foster any type of sympathy for that kind of attitude :slight_smile:

If he gets it he’ll find out soon enough when he sees which one gets listed in his MMC first.

I didn’t realize that the order was indicative of superiority???

a slight tangent off of this topic and a little behind the times, my apologies…

46 CFR 11.412 (a) says “[I]Two years of the required service must have been on vessels of over 100 gross tons”[/I]… and yadda yadda, 2 more on T/Vs, 1 of which on 100T T/Vs… Unless I am missing something, does that mean that the first two years of service mentioned can be in any capacity so long as the vessel is 100GT? Because the rest of the service is does specificy the capactiy.

Four years total service on ocean or near coastal waters. Service on Great Lakes and inland waters may substitute for up to two years of the required service.

• Two years of the required service must have been on vessels of over 100 gross tons.
  • Two years of the required service must have been as a master, mate master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels, or equivalent supervisory position while holding a license or MMC endorsement as master, mate, master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels.
    - One year of the service as master, mate, master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels, or equivalent supervisory position must have been on vessels of over 100 gross tons

They are all independent clauses except where specifically mentioned. Two years as master, mate, etc, one of which has to be over 100grt. Therefore, out of the two years required over 100grt only one must be as master, mate, etc, the other year can be as any capacity on deck.

gotcha, took me a few times, that but it sunk in. Makes sense. I shouldnt have a problem, all my service is on vessels over 100GRT regardless, but I do have some seatime as AB that would be nice to include, that year allowance is kind of a nice cushion of sorts. Thank you much.

If all your sea time is over 100 GRT then read that CFR like this:

1440 days total on oceans (up to 720 of which may be on inland/GL)
720 of those days as master, mate, or equivalent

Regarding this, as I’m still trying to figure some of this out, I was working on an uninspected research boat. It was over 100GT and ocean-going. Will that time count for any of this upgrading or qualifying to sit and take the exams?

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;44735]
720 of those days as master, mate, or equivalent[/QUOTE]