Question about Upgrading from 3rd to 2nd Mate/ 1600 ton MAster

I’m trying to upgrade from my third mate ticket to 2nd mate/1600 ton master and am a little confused about whether or not i have the right amount of sea-time.

I read from the CFR’s that you must have 360 days of sea-time on an ocean going vessel while holding a third mate ticket to qualify for the upgrade.

I have 4 months on an unlimited vessel sailing as third mate and over 10 months on a 500 ton ocean going research vessel as chief mate. Will this all count towards my required 360 days? Will it qualify me to take the 1600 ton masters test?

Also, what do i need to do? Call up my local uscg office and go from there?

Thanks

See 46 CFR 11.402. At least half of the required service for 2nd Mate Any Gross Tons must be on vessels over 1600 GRT. Since you do not have this service, you may get a tonnage limitation. The tonnage limit would either be 1000 GRT (150% of 500 Tons rounded up to 1000), or the actual tonnage of the “unlimited vessel”, whichever is higher. If the the “unlimited vessel” has a tonnage of 10,000 GRT or more, there would be no tonnage limit.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;25312]See 46 CFR 11.402. At least half of the required service for 2nd Mate Any Gross Tons must be on vessels over 1600 GRT. Since you do not have this service, you may get a tonnage limitation. The tonnage limit would either be 1000 GRT (150% of 500 Tons rounded up to 1000), or the actual tonnage of the “unlimited vessel”, whichever is higher. If the the “unlimited vessel” has a tonnage of 10,000 GRT or more, there would be no tonnage limit.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much for the good info!

Would I qualify for the 1600 masters?

Can anyone answer my last question in above post ^ ?

Here’s the relevant CFR:

46 § 11.412 Service requirements for master of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of not more than 1600 gross tons.

The minimum service required to qualify an applicant for an endorsement as master of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of not more than 1600 gross tons is:

(a) Four years total service on ocean or near coastal waters. Service on Great Lakes and inland waters may substitute for up to two years of the required service. Two years of the required service must have been on vessels of over 100 gross tons. Two years of the required service must have been as a master, mate master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels, or equivalent supervisory position while holding a license or MMC endorsement as master, mate, master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels. One year of the service as master, mate, master or mate (pilot) of towing vessels, or equivalent supervisory position must have been on vessels of over 100 gross tons; or,

(b) An applicant holding a license or MMC endorsement as chief mate or second mate of ocean or near coastal steam or motor vessels of over 1600 gross tons is eligible for this endorsement upon completion of a limited examination.

Thanks for all the good info! Guess ill be upgrading when i get off this POS

Everyone, please download 46 CFR 11 and do your homework. If you can’t figure it out after reading the CFR, you might not be ready to upgrade anyhow. If you’re stumped, then go ahead and ask for help. It will really help us out if you cite the CFR you don’t understand.

Help us to help you.

Doug, you hit the nail on the head. I’m pretty sure I have at least two rants going somewhere on this forum about mariners taking some initiative / responsibility.

Jim Cavo and Jill Russell are way nicer than I am.

I know its a couple months late, but I have my 2nd Mates license and I know I am eligible for the 70 question add-on test for 1600 ton master. Anyone got any insight on this test? Hard? I figured I’d just get Lapware and study for a few months before I take it. Any insight is extremely helpful.

Don’t study, go take the test. At least 70% of the answers should already be in your head or in the books supplied in the testing room.

Are there any classes required for the upgrade? I have 360 Days+ as 3rd mate unlimited already…I should be good to just sign up and take the exam? Thanks!

Thread closed because it has outdated info and a duplicate post.

1 Like