1600 mate near coastal requirements?

Can anyone clear up the confusion on the exact requirements for 1600 mate near coastal? I currently have 200 mate/apprentice steersman. Looking to upgrade, I have required sea time and tonnage, stcw 95, radar observer and basic/Advanced firefighting. Also want mate of towing.

I’m confused now too since they went and put the checklists into separate lists between STCW requirements and sea time/tonnage requirements. But I think as far as STCW you need life boatman, ARPA, Bridge resource management, RADAR and AB. Not exactly straight forward on the NMC site so I could be wrong.

Basically you need to look at it as two Separate Items, make sure you meet all the requirements on the national endorsement checklist, then also make sure you meet the requirements of the STCW. (Oicnw over 500) On the national endorsement checklist the sea time breakdown is pretty well written I think.

Keep in mind (from checklist) “NOTE TO EVAL: A person holding Mate 1600 may qualify for an STCW endorsement, according to § 11.309”

1600 NC mate:
720 days of service in the deck department on Ocean, Near Coastal OR Great Lakes waters, OF WHICH

1. Service on inland waters, other than GL, may substitute for up to 360 of the total required service, AND
  2. 360 days of service on vessels of more than 100 GRT, AND
  3. 180 days of service while performing bridge watchkeeping duties under
    the supervision of the master or a qualified officer; OR
  4. 180 days as AB, Boatswain, Quartermaster or equivalent position on vessel over 100GRT (while holding AB) (if service began before March 24, 2014)

It may have changed now but it was easier to go to master 500/1600 than mate then master as far as STCW went.

Ok thanks, I wasn’t sure the OICNW over 500t was the equivalent in the STCW list.

I am waiting on permission to test. Turned in all prereq’s and paperwork six weeks ago. Today I looked at the checklist and it looks like I got in just in time before the massive changes. I was a bit confused too!

So I know this thread is a few months old, but I am trying to plan out next year’s classes for my 1600 Mate NC, as I work very long hitches so I must get an idea soon. After checking with the NMC checklists (both STCW and National) and talking to shipmates and the school I have the following list of required courses. Please correct or add as you see fit. Thank you for any and all input guys and gals!

Advanced Fire Fighting
Bridge Resource Management
Radar
Arpa
GMDSS
First Aid/CPR

[QUOTE=TOWBOATTED;141065]So I know this thread is a few months old, but I am trying to plan out next year’s classes for my 1600 Mate NC, as I work very long hitches so I must get an idea soon. After checking with the NMC checklists (both STCW and National) and talking to shipmates and the school I have the following list of required courses. Please correct or add as you see fit. Thank you for any and all input guys and gals!

Advanced Fire Fighting
Bridge Resource Management
Radar
Arpa
GMDSS
First Aid/CPR[/QUOTE]

You don’t need ARPA and GMDSS to get the endorsements, but if you don’t have them you can’t work on vessels with this equipment. You also need to be current on basic safety training.

For STCW you also need the OICNW assessments.

All of this only applies until 12/31/2016. There will be a lot more after that, don’t wait.

Do you need the celestial assessments though, that are part of the package?

I don’t believe so if you are not going for a oceans endorsement. But double check.

I am starting classes for my upgrade from AB to mate and from all the research that I have done you only need celestial for an oceans endorsement–I could be wrong though…

[QUOTE=jmad;142646]Do you need the celestial assessments though, that are part of the package?[/QUOTE]

See Encl 2 of NVIC 12-14 at http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/regulations/NVIC/NVIC_2014/nvic_12-14_oicnw_signed_28apr14.pdf. It notes what assessments can be omitted for an endorsement limited to near coastal.

Thanks guys

I really hate to ask inside this thread but I think it is relevant I have my 1600 mate NC and wanted to get the Mate OSV because I will be working on OSVs and the mate OSV license has no tonnage limitation but I was told by a maritime advisor that having a 1600 mate means when working on OSVs there is no tonnage limitation either first question is that true now second question I still need my OICNW to work as a mate more than 7 miles offshore so what stcw exactly do I need to be able to use my 1600 mate NC I only have about 740 days seatime and the more than 500 ton OICNW requires 1080 do I absolutely need the OICNW any response will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Little confusion on (6 months of training). So along with my completed book, does this mean I have to have a company letter saying I have trained for 180 8 hr days? Or letter from assessor etc? Or just turn in the completed book?

[QUOTE=jmad;143050]Little confusion on (6 months of training). So along with my completed book, does this mean I have to have a company letter saying I have trained for 180 8 hr days? Or letter from assessor etc? Or just turn in the completed book?[/QUOTE]

I am not sure what 6 months you are referring to. I assume it is the requirement that at least 6 months of the service required for an STCW endorsement as OICNW be performing watchkeeping duties under the supervision of the Master or the officer in charge of the watch.

This isn’t traininig, it’s just performing watchkeeping duties, e.g. lookout or steering. Your assessment “book” doesn’t show that, it only shows you were assessed. A service letter would note this if it included language concerning the amount and scope of your duties performing watch duties.