1600 mate Near costal what stcw do I need

I just recently got my 1600 mate NC and im looking for jobs. on my stcw all I have is BST RFPNW PSC and Advanced Fire Fighting what else do I need in order to work as a mate on Near coastal voyages I was told I need OICNW but when I looked at the OICNW on the NMC website I see 2 different ones a less than 500 and more than 500 the <500 says NC but the >500 doesn’t specify OC or NC and on the >500 it says I need 1080 days sea time and I only have 720 days why would the coast guard let you get a 1600 ton mate NC license at 720 days but not OICNW this is all very discouraging because I was feeling pretty proud of myself for getting the mates license and now I’m finding out I can’t even utilize it. Can someone please help me understand all this and tell me what I can work on with a 1600 mate NC without the OICNW

[QUOTE=Fino.nick;142877]I just recently got my 1600 mate NC and im looking for jobs. on my stcw all I have is BST RFPNW PSC and Advanced Fire Fighting what else do I need in order to work as a mate on Near coastal voyages I was told I need OICNW but when I looked at the OICNW on the NMC website I see 2 different ones a less than 500 and more than 500 the <500 says NC but the >500 doesn’t specify OC or NC and on the >500 it says I need 1080 days sea time and I only have 720 days why would the coast guard let you get a 1600 ton mate NC license at 720 days but not OICNW this is all very discouraging because I was feeling pretty proud of myself for getting the mates license and now I’m finding out I can’t even utilize it. Can someone please help me understand all this and tell me what I can work on with a 1600 mate NC without the OICNW[/QUOTE]

It’s just another free service that they offer… Confusion! Lots of peoples gonna be in your shoes so don’t feel isolated. The requirements for national “license” is different from the STCW “endorsement” upon your national “license”, even though both are called “endorsements”. You must hold the national portion to have the STCW so you are ahead in some respects. Now all you have to do is get the requirements for the STCW, including sea time and send it in. You won’t test for STCW, only test is for national.

[QUOTE=Fino.nick;142877]why would the coast guard let you get a 1600 ton mate [/QUOTE]

They are different endorsements with very different requirements to get them. You don’t get one just because you have the other.

The STCW that corresponds to Mate 1600 is Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch (OICNW): http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/pdfs/mcp_fm_nmc5_62_web.pdf?list2=%2Fnmc%2Fchecklists%2Fpdfs%2Fmcp_fm_nmc5_62_web.pdf&B1=GO!

If any of the asea time you use for thi9s is from before March 24, 2014, you can get the STCW endorsement until December 31, 2016, wiithout doing all of the training on that chaecklist.

I also have a similar question. I just completed all classes. (Adv fire, Brm, radar, medical care, OICNW assessments) I have all requirements met for 1600 mate nc & OICNW. Except the 1080 days required for OICNW. I roughly have 800. Testing in few weeks. If I ask for OICNW will It recieve it? Or no? Also I work for a large OSV company in GOM. Will OICNW be required to train or no since I will be working alongside a capt. Thanks

[QUOTE=Jarodwho43;143399]I also have a similar question. I just completed all classes. (Adv fire, Brm, radar, medical care, OICNW assessments) I have all requirements met for 1600 mate nc & OICNW. Except the 1080 days required for OICNW. I roughly have 800. Testing in few weeks. If I ask for OICNW will It recieve it? Or no? Also I work for a large OSV company in GOM. Will OICNW be required to train or no since I will be working alongside a capt. Thanks[/QUOTE]

You will not receive it if you don’t meet all the requirements unless you qualify under one of the national crossover options listed at the bottom of the checklist.

[QUOTE=Jarodwho43;143399]I also have a similar question. I just completed all classes. (Adv fire, Brm, radar, medical care, OICNW assessments) I have all requirements met for 1600 mate nc & OICNW. Except the 1080 days required for OICNW. I roughly have 800. Testing in few weeks. If I ask for OICNW will It recieve it? Or no? Also I work for a large OSV company in GOM. Will OICNW be required to train or no since I will be working alongside a capt. Thanks[/QUOTE]

It won’t be required to train, but you won’t be able to serve in any capacity seaward of the demarcation line on a vessel over 200 GT short of a few exempt vessels such as some fishing and uninspected vessels. You will not have valid seatime for the balance of the seatime needed for your remaining STCW requirements. The CFR’s are online and free. You might read up a bit.