Requirements for 200-Ton Mate

Does someone out there know the requirements for the 200-Ton Mate (Inland or Coastal) License? I’ve looked around and all I see is stuff about the Master or the Master/Mate. It all seems a bit muddled.

I’m testing for my 100-Ton Inland Master in March.

I have the documented 360 days required, of which:

[ul]
[li]260 days are served (inland and near coastal) on various vessels around 100 tons and[/li][li]100 days are served (near coastal) on a 200-Ton vessel[/li][/ul]
Now I know I can’t go for the 200-Ton [B]Master [/B]yet, but I’m thinking I can obtain the 200-Ton [B]Mate[/B] along with my 100-Ton Master ticket.

I’m doing a study course for the 100-Ton Master ticket, after which I will take the test that they administer. Would I have to do an additional study course and test for the 200-Ton Master just to get the Mate ticket?

Thanks, beforehand!

http://uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/MCP-FM-NMC5-47%20Mate%20GL-INL%20200.pdf?list1=checklists%2FMCP-FM-NMC5-47+Mate+GL-INL+200.pdf&B1=GO!

Thank you. I have reviewed this form as well as many others. Yet I’ve also been told that I would need to take a 200-Ton course as well and pass the corresponding exam. If you have time to elaborate, that would be grand. Again, thanks.

The 200 ton is almost worthless! If you dont need it right now skip the 200 and go to the 500.I went to the 200 and took the class then never even turned it in I went and got my 500 because there is not a whole lot of boats that require a 200.

[QUOTE=windofheaven;44980]Thank you. I have reviewed this form as well as many others. Yet I’ve also been told that I would need to take a 200-Ton course as well and pass the corresponding exam. This form doesn’t list such proof of documentation, but I still have doubts. If you have time to elaborate, that would be grand. Again, thanks.[/QUOTE]

I believe you are looking for any differences in examination? Maybe this will help: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2010/octqtr/pdf/46cfr11.910.pdf. Code 17 is specified as, “Master or mate, Great Lakes/inland, 200 gross tons (includes master, Great Lakes/inland, 100 gross tons).” Meaning that the examination requirements for a 100-Ton Master Inland and 200-Ton Mate Inland would be exactly the same.

I guess a little clarification on EXACTLY what license you are hoping to attain would be helpful. Specifically, Tonnage and Route. I understand the 100-Ton Inland Master. From the sea time, as stated, you would qualify for the 200-Ton [U]Inland[/U] Mate, but Near-Coastal would be sketchy at best. Furthermore, the exact tonnage of the vessels is important for your sea time. “Around 100 tons” isn’t specific enough and there aren’t many vessels that are exactly 200 tons, 199 does not count as a 200 ton vessel.

You’re on the right track though. Don’t necessarily listen to everything you are told, go by what you can verify. As confusing as they may be, the answers are there in the CFR’s, Policy Letters, and NVIC’s. You just have to dig and find them.

[QUOTE=captkris;44981]The 200 ton is almost worthless! If you dont need it right now skip the 200 and go to the 500.I went to the 200 and took the class then never even turned it in I went and got my 500 because there is not a whole lot of boats that require a 200. [/QUOTE]

Keep in mind, the portion of the industry you have experience with may not be the same elsewhere. I work in New York Harbor and the NE. For the 70 some odd vessels the company owns, only 3 are in excess of 200 GRT, so a 200-Ton license covers 95% of them. That does not, however, address the ever increasing insurance requirements. While a 200-Ton license may cover it, they get a huge premium break for having personnel with 1,600-Ton operating them. I am not familiar with the differences between a 200-Ton and 500-Ton [U]Inland[/U] license. The difference for a Near Coastal or Oceans license is HUGE due to STCW requirements. Not to mention the fact that the Coast Guard will be phasing out the 500-Ton license in the near future. While they will renew an existing 500-Ton license, they will not be issuing new ones. You will get either a 200-Ton or a 1,600-Ton.

[QUOTE=windofheaven;44971]I’m doing a study course for the 100-Ton Master ticket, after which I will take the test that they administer.[/QUOTE]

I just re-read your original post. Are you taking a 100-Ton Master course at an approved school? If so you would need to look at the course as approved by the Coast Guard. That will tell you what the course qualifies you for.

http://uscg.mil/nmc/approved_courses.asp

Thank you, yes - New England Maritime in Hyannis

Thank you, Cal.

My understanding is that I wouldn’t be eligible for the 200T at this time; only the 100T Inland, the reason being that the 200T requires 360 days while serving as a licensed captain or mate, which I am not. I have 360 days as a deckhand, that’s it. Once I obtain the 100T Inland, I can then document the next 360 days for the 100T NC and beyond.

No, the vessels worked on were not exactly 100T, but between 75 and 100, and having seen the formulas they use, I’m thinking there shouldn’t a problem. And I do have 98 days on a 197T vessel, so I think I should at least find out if the 200T Mate is attainable.

Chiefly, the reason for my lack of assurance in general is because I heard that to obtain even the 200T Mate, there would be 20 additional deck questions I would need to test on (meaning that I would need to do the 200T study course as well, because I’m not going to try to study the phone-book-sized test manual on my own for time’s sake).

I’m a tall-ship sailor. The 200T would be sufficient for me to sail even the larger square riggers. Don’t see the need for the 500T at this point.

Thanks, captkris. I’m a tall-ship sailor. The 200T would be sufficient for me to sail even the larger square riggers, and is the only one I could fulfill tonnage-wise as well. Don’t anticipate a move into commercial anytime soon.

There are subjects required for mate and master 200 GRT that aren’t on the Master 100 exam, so you need another course, there are many 200 ton “upgrade” courses to weother go from Master 100 to Mate/Master 200, you can take this with a Master 100 and together they will cover 200 Tons. If you test or take a course for Mate 200, you won’t need one when you go to Master 200.

Appreciate the input!