Renewing licenses

I Have held an unlimited Master of Rivers license since I was 21 years old, also First Class Pilot on the Mississippi River since I was 19 years old. I served as a tug Capt., then ship pilot, for many years until 1997 when I was injured in 1997. My doctors all advised me to retire, which I did, and now years later at age 66 I am terribly bored and would consider any type of teaching job as I feel it would be terrible to take almost 50 years experience to the grave with me, but I failed to renew my licenses since I retired. I recently been told I would have to start all over to be able to get my license renewed, it wasn’t like this years ago, the CG would renew your license out of respect with some proof of need. If I graduated from college would they take my Diploma back 50 years later, I don’t think so. Well, I guess my knowledge is destined for the graveyard, what a shame !

I don’t think you need a USCG endorsement to teach. There may be specific employers that want you to have one but from what I’ve read it’s not required, (kinda like a DP Cert.!)

Every teaching job I have ever seen advertised requires a license. Most require unlimited oceans. I think it is required by the USCG for their course approvals.

(To clarify, this is in relation to the deck department. Engineering is probably quite different.)

No need to think, go to the source.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmC/marpers/pag/1-99.pdf

J-Dude,

Review the CFR info Steamer posted. In addition, I know for certain courses you need 1600 Master or higher for the specialized stuff (Radar, etc…) However, you may be able to become a lecturer. Someone with the license would “supervise” the course and you could lecture and be part of the course as kind of an adviser. I also think you would be an excellent candidate to be on a bridge simulator team.

I do not know where you are located but it sounds from your post there is stuff close so hit the phones and start networking.

Good Luck!

The first thing you need to do is take the “train the trainer” course. And be prepared to fight for approval because the standards that apply to applicants don’t apply to the NMC employees or even the CG gang that runs the place.

For example, I had an approval to teach a steam course at a maritime college and did so. A couple of years later, after sailing on steamships as 1st and 2nd engineer I applied for approval to teach steam at another school. I was denied because I “lacked time in that propulsion mode.”

It took a while to explain to them that a chief engineer with a steam license who held that endorsement since the first issue of a 3rd’s license really did have to spend time working on a steamboat. The stack of steamboat discharges must have been too difficult for them to figure out and who knows why they figured a previous approval meant nothing.

Prepare for a frustrating experience - or not - I think it all depends on what someone had for breakfast the day your application arrives because it sure as Hell doesn’t have anything to do with rules or reason.

I know that some of Delgado’s teachers don’t have a License. In fact the course for there 100 ton or apprentice mate, cant remember which, was written by a guy who has never held a License. When asked he said as long as there was somebody on staff and on the campus available to answer questions while the class was being taught it was legal. At least that is what I understand. I’m sure there is more to it.

Maybe there is someway you can get your license back in a continuity state. I know a few of the guys at Fletcher have done that as they don’t sail anymore.

After reading the policy letter with your experience you should still be able to teach a few things because of your experience even if you haven’t worked for a almost a decade because you have so much experience.

Contact Captamericas on here as he works for Fletcher in dealing with all of their CG paperwork when he’s not sailing. So he might be a good person to ask.

[U]Quality Maritime training[/U] Ask for Capt. Trowbridge. He had an add not to long ago for instructor(s), I’m sure he would enjoy talkin to ya.

I am sure each place has its own set of ‘rules and procedures’. I am also equally sure these ‘rules’ can be flexed. Typically when I have attended classes of some sort the instructors have always shared their curriculum vitae to show their competence to teach the course. IIRC one instructor told me that the instructor had to have at least as high a license as what the course was he was teaching.

The discussion from steamer rings bells. A friend of mine went to renew his unlimited masters oceans. They wouldn’t reissue his PIC tanker because in the last 5 years he had no loads or discharges. BUT he was teaching the PIC course at MMA for three of the years! They finally let him have it back. What a bunch of crap.

Anyway, back to your problem. No, unfotumately they vigorously enforce the one year grace period. I have never heard anyone getting around that if they have let things expire. Sorry!

For what it’s worth, the guy teaching the C/M Upgrade ECDIS class at Star Center never sailed a day in his life nor holds a license.

[QUOTE=New3M;60647]For what it’s worth, the guy teaching the C/M Upgrade ECDIS class at Star Center never sailed a day in his life nor holds a license.[/QUOTE]

Not much…The guys that built the space shuttle never went to space.

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;60545]I don’t think you need a USCG endorsement to teach. There may be specific employers that want you to have one but from what I’ve read it’s not required, (kinda like a DP Cert.!)[/QUOTE]

Durinbg the timne I was involved with course approvals at NMC (1997 to 2009) a license wasn’t required, only relevant experience. The license was viewed only as evidence of the minimum experience it took to get it. Someone with sufficient and relevant experience without a license would be approved, someone with a license and no relevant experience would not. As noted above, some schools/employers may want their instructors to have a license, but it is not required (or was not in the recent past).

[QUOTE=anchorman;60652]Not much…The guys that built the space shuttle never went to space.[/QUOTE]

Touche. I meant in regards to the discussion at hand, not to the quality of the teacher. I didn’t know until 3 days in he never sailed - he certainly knew his stuff.

[QUOTE=New3M;60713]Touche. I meant in regards to the discussion at hand, not to the quality of the teacher. I didn’t know until 3 days in he never sailed - he certainly knew his stuff.[/QUOTE]

That is because ECDIS can be a tool (like me) and a powerful one at that (unlike me) or a video game and when taught needs to be reinforced with, “…then look out the window to make sure that what is on the screen is what is actually happening unless you really do not want to keep that license.”