Renewal/Extension of TWIC

That effective security card that we all love,unfortunately didn’t die a natural death and go away,so, many of us are coming up for renewal in the next year. Due to the complete failure of the TSA to provide a working card reader,they are offering a 3 yr extension for $60. The downside is that the only way to apply for the extension is having to call the TWIC help desk 800 number. Be prepared for a VERY long wait on hold before you get to talk to someone. The call center opens at 0800 EST,I called at 0810 and ended up waiting on hold for 1hr and 15min. Also,there has been such a huge response to the extension offer,they are overwhelmed and recommend applying at least 4 mos before your card expires.

Also,maybe a little known fact,if your TWIC expires it makes your MMC invalid and you can’t sail on it.

It doesn’t make your MMC invalid. You just can’t go to any docks. LOLOL

[QUOTE=sfmariner;89026] Also,maybe a little known fact,if your TWIC expires it makes your MMC invalid and you can’t sail on it.[/QUOTE]

No it doesn’t. An MMC is valid until it’s suspended, revoked, or (the MMC) expires. Not holding a valid TWIC is a reason to begin a proceeding to susopend or revoke, but it doesn’t automatically invalidate an MMC. See 46 CFR 10.203(b).

I just renewed my twic last month. I decided to do the standard 5 year renewal. Although I had to go to the twic center twice it only took about 1 week for my new card to come in. Average wait at twic center was maybe 20-30 mins

[QUOTE=jdcavo;89036]No it doesn’t. An MMC is valid until it’s suspended, revoked, or (the MMC) expires. Not holding a valid TWIC is a reason to begin a proceeding to susopend or revoke, but it doesn’t automatically invalidate an MMC. See 46 CFR 10.203(b).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. Was advised by company personnel manager that MMC was “void” if TWIC expires.

Waited 2 hours 20 mins on the phone, it was 5 days from when i paid till i got the message to go pick it up. The twic is basically useless anyway, half the docks we go to wont take it for id, and the other half just glance at it.

Back then… we had reagan, johnny cash, and bob hope… now we have obama, no cash, and no hope…

[QUOTE=BargeMonkey;89412]Waited 2 hours 20 mins on the phone, it was 5 days from when i paid till i got the message to go pick it up. The twic is basically useless anyway, half the docks we go to wont take it for id, and the other half just glance at it.

Back then… we had reagan, johnny cash, and bob hope… now we have obama, no cash, and no hope…[/QUOTE]The funniest part is the people working at the TWIC center won’t accept the TWIC as valid ID!!! Or am I the only one who sees the irony there?

[QUOTE=seadog6608;89454]The funniest part is the people working at the TWIC center won’t accept the TWIC as valid ID!!! Or am I the only one who sees the irony there?[/QUOTE]

Dayum…thought it was bad enough that it took around 3 years for the TSA to accept them at the airport!

I called the day after Thanksgiving in the afternoon, spent around 40 minutes total on the phone and received the email yesterday saying it is ready for pickup.

2 hours on the phone and $60. They said 7-10 days and about 3 hours of driving will have me extended for 3 years.

Not too bad but seriously, not even elevator music. I had to listen to the phone ring for one and a half hours before they answered.

[QUOTE=sfmariner;89026]That effective security card that we all love,unfortunately didn’t die a natural death and go away,so, many of us are coming up for renewal in the next year. Due to the complete failure of the TSA to provide a working card reader,they are offering a 3 yr extension for $60. The downside is that the only way to apply for the extension is having to call the TWIC help desk 800 number. Be prepared for a VERY long wait on hold before you get to talk to someone. The call center opens at 0800 EST,I called at 0810 and ended up waiting on hold for 1hr and 15min. Also,there has been such a huge response to the extension offer,they are overwhelmed and recommend applying at least 4 mos before your card expires.

Also,maybe a little known fact,if your TWIC expires it makes your MMC invalid and you can’t sail on it.[/QUOTE]

I work for a refinery in a chain, and I’m pretty sure our $20 smartcard readers are reading the cards just fine for our systems.

[QUOTE=“jdcavo;89036”]

No it doesn’t. An MMC is valid until it’s suspended, revoked, or (the MMC) expires. Not holding a valid TWIC is a reason to begin a proceeding to susopend or revoke, but it doesn’t automatically invalidate an MMC. See 46 CFR 10.203(b).[/QUOTE]

I was just on homport credential verification and read that in order to sail on your mmc you must possess a valid twic.
<a href=“https://homeport.uscg.mil/mycg/portal/ep/channelView.do?channelId=-35921&channelPage=%2Fep%2Fmmld%2FMMCVSearchBody.jsp&pageTypeId=13489”>link to homeport</a>

" In order to legally serve under the authority of a U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential the holder must also hold a valid U.S. Transportation Worker Identification Credential."

Just did the extended twic. 1 1/2 hours on hold, then a week later I picked it up and 20 minutes waiting for the 2 minute activation. TWIC is a lame belly flop of an idea. When I got my first one, it never came out of my wallet for the first 2 years. Then slowly people would ask for it. I had one dock not want it, but took my EXPIRED zcard instead. In 5 years not once was it scanned with any sort of reader. I showed my TWIC at an airport once and they didn’t know what it was. I told them how funny it was that I had to have a background check by homeland security to get it, but instead they wanted an ID that all it took was parallel parking and guessing right answers on lane changing.

Not sure but don’t think Johnny cash or Obama had anything to do with the TWIC program. Just saying.

If Obama had been responsible for the TWIC program, you would have paid for your document and the next three people behind you in line!

What about Johnny cash:)

Wouldn’t he be walking the (TWIC) line?

LOL if he was in the TWIC Line I think Folsom prison would not look so bad. :smiley:

[QUOTE=brjones;90453]Just did the extended twic. 1 1/2 hours on hold, then a week later I picked it up and 20 minutes waiting for the 2 minute activation. TWIC is a lame belly flop of an idea. When I got my first one, it never came out of my wallet for the first 2 years. Then slowly people would ask for it. I had one dock not want it, but took my EXPIRED zcard instead. In 5 years not once was it scanned with any sort of reader. I showed my TWIC at an airport once and they didn’t know what it was. I told them how funny it was that I had to have a background check by homeland security to get it, but instead they wanted an ID that all it took was parallel parking and guessing right answers on lane changing.[/QUOTE]

I’ve had same experience over the years.

I happened to be by the local twic office the other day. No customers were there so I inquired about renewing. The woman encouraged me to renew over the phone. So I go home and spend an hour and 15 mins on hold. Giving up, I got on line and made reservations for the next afternoon at the local office. On arrival, I found out you can do the $60 renewal at the office. I was in and out in 15 minutes. Got an e-mail the next day that it was being processed.

And…if you renew for $60, all you need is the twic card. If you do the 5 year, you have to have another form of ID. Go figure…

[QUOTE=injunear;90479]I’ve had same experience over the years.

I happened to be by the local twic office the other day. No customers were there so I inquired about renewing. The woman encouraged me to renew over the phone. So I go home and spend an hour and 15 mins on hold. Giving up, I got on line and made reservations for the next afternoon at the local office. On arrival, I found out you can do the $60 renewal at the office. I was in and out in 15 minutes. Got an e-mail the next day that it was being processed.

And…if you renew for $60, all you need is the twic card. If you do the 5 year, you have to have another form of ID. Go figure…[/QUOTE]

Just one more frustrating story associated with the TWIC. Good to know that you can do the extension from a TWIC office. It’s a case of “choose your poison” spend forever on hold on the phone or spend the time it takes to go to a local office.