Refresher?

Is it true with stcw that you have to take an advanced firefighting refresher, a lifeboatmen refresher, & others??

yes there is a basic safety refresher that is now required every 5 years i believe

[QUOTE=Tugted;119142]Is it true with stcw that you have to take an advanced firefighting refresher, a lifeboatmen refresher, & others??[/QUOTE]+

Not yet. It’s in the 2010 STCW, but the Coast Guard hasn’t published regulations to require it… yet.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;119184]+

Not yet. It’s in the 2010 STCW, but the Coast Guard hasn’t published regulations to require it… yet.[/QUOTE]
Good to know. I thought I read somewhere that they did require in 2013.

Isn’t BST refresher course required now if ya don’t have 360 days at sea in the last 5 years before you renew a credential? (FYI, Basic FF not Advanced FF is part of it)

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;119190]Isn’t BST refresher course required now if ya don’t have 360 days at sea in the last 5 years before you renew a credential? (FYI, Basic FF not Advanced FF is part of it)[/QUOTE]

Yes, but the mention of lifeboat/survival ctraft and Advanced FF made it obvious he’s talking about the proposed regs for STCW 2010. Under the propsed regs, it would be required to renew after January 1, 2017.

I believe this is coming because too many “table top” drills were being conducted and sailors lost proficiency!