Advanced Firefighting Refresher

Are any schools offering this course yet in “anticipation of future rule making”? Any rumors on refreshing basic safety training too?

[QUOTE=TheMate;125450]Are any schools offering this course yet in “anticipation of future rule making”? Any rumors on refreshing basic safety training too?[/QUOTE]

Mid-Atlantic Maritime in Norfolk has a BST refresher. I am taking their AFF course soon…don’t see a listing for a refresher for that.

Who has actually had to take the refresher to renew, and under what circumstances? Have heard very few reports of this that are substantiated (and reference to a regulation) with anything I believe one way or another.

As far as I can find out, there is no approved refresher, ---- one must retake the entire five day course every five years

1. BASIC SAFETY TRAINING (BST) AND ADVANCED FIREFIGHTING
    The Coast Guard proposes to amend the BST and advanced firefighting requirements to require that mariners prove they have maintained the standard of competence every 5 years, in accordance with the 2010 amendments to the STCW Convention and Code. This may be accomplished through a combination of drills and onboard training and experience, with shore-side assessments. The Coast Guard is proposing to retain the existing arrangement of acceptance of sea service, specifically one year in the last 5 years, as proof of meeting the requirements only for those components of the competence table that can be performed through drills and/or training on board vessels. For those components that cannot be performed onboard a ship, shore-side assessments must be successfully demonstrated.

EDIT: can’t seem to see what the hell the final rules is on this crap, anyone have a source? My quick searches on the google-webs resulted in a circle from gummint website to gummint website.

ALSO,

c) Advanced Firefighting.
(1) Applicants seeking an STCW officer endorsement must provide evidence, with their application, of meeting the standard of competence as set out in Table A-VI/3 of the STCW Code. Applicants for an original STCW officer endorsement, who met the requirements of § 11.201(h)(1) of this subpart will be deemed to have met the requirement of this paragraph.
(2) Every 5 years seafarers qualified in accordance with paragraph (1) of this section must provide evidence of maintaining the standard of competence as set out in Table A-VI/3 of the STCW Code.
(3) The Coast Guard will accept onboard training and experience, through evidence of 1 year of sea service within the last 5 years, as meeting the requirements of paragraph (c)(2) of this section for the following areas as set out in Table A-VI/3 of the STCW Code:
(i) Control firefighting operations aboard ships;
(A) Firefighting procedures at sea and in port, with particular emphasis on organization, tactics and command;
(B) Communication and coordination during firefighting operations;
(C) Ventilation control, including smoke extraction;
(D) Control of fuel and electrical systems;
(E) Fire-fighting process hazards (dry distillation, chemical reactions, boiler uptake);
(F) Fire precautions and hazards associated with the storage and handling of materials;
(G) Management and control of injured persons; and
(H) Procedures for coordination with shore-based fire fighters; and
(ii) Inspect and service fire-detection and extinguishing systems and equipment;
(A) Requirements for statutory and classification.

Any commentary from the USCG connected license folks?

MEBA has an advanced fire fighting refresher. The USCG website lists a few others

[QUOTE=z-drive;125469]EDIT: can’t seem to see what the hell the final rules is on this crap, [/QUOTE]

There is no final rule yet.

We were talking about it on the bridge, our questions came out of policy letter CG-CVC 12-07. That’s where it mentions giving approval for advanced fire fighting and BST “in anticipation of future rule making.”