Questions about obtaining TWIC and Z card for the 1st time

I’m eager to start a new career at sea. However, I’m very anxious about the background check related to the TWIC and Z card. Here is a list of my previous convictions…

6/2013 Driving vehicle not equipped with an ignition interlock as required by program

8/2009 DUI

3/2009 DUI

I know I have a problem, but I’ve addressed it. I have since obtained a driver’s license with no restrictions and I am not on probation. I called the CG and asked about the DUIs and the guy said it happened 5 years ago. Just apply and disclose them and you should be fine. I don’t know if he’s just saying that so I cough up the application fee. I do have a juvenile record. Here’s a list of date and convictions…

9/2003 Theft over $500 (misdemeanor)

9/2003 4th Degree Burglary (misdemeanor)

9/2003 CDS Possession Marijuana (misdemeanor)

9/2003 Theft under $500 (misdemeanor)

Questions…

1. Since these are juvenile charges, do I have to inform the USCG about this? Aren’t juvenile records sealed?

2. I know a seaman with 3 DUIs and a misdemeanor drug conviction, but that all happened in the late 80s early 90s. Will the DUIs really mess with my chances of obtaining TWIC and Z card?

Please don’t rant about how much of a screw up I am. I already know that. I just want get a well paying job to support my family.

The only things exempt from being reporting are certain expunged convictions. Report everything. Quite frankly, the CG is going to care less about the old juvenile convictions. But they will care a lot if they find out you failed to disclose something.

I just got my TWIC, it was fairly straight forward. Just tell them, and at least for the agency that mad my card, they didn’t really seem to care just as long as your money was green. The only time that might hurt you is if you want to get a MMD

[QUOTE=Robert;141935]The only things exempt from being reporting are certain expunged convictions. Report everything. Quite frankly, the CG is going to care less about the old juvenile convictions. But they will care a lot if they find out you failed to disclose something.[/QUOTE]

So true. I would rather be forgiven for telling the truth and getting a waiver than losing a career because I lied about something that could have been forgiven.

I always tell them about the time I got busted growing pot, even though there is no record of it, my spending 3 nights in jail, paying $1,200 in fines over 12 months of probation. I know that the minute I try to hide the truth, the truth will bite me in my ass.

The most common problem people coming into the industry have reservations for is the drug testing. Piss in a jar and take a chance or quit getting high and laugh about the double standard that our politicians have put on our shoulders.

Anyhow, good luck with it all. When you get in here, you will find that there are a lot of Reformed Offenders of one law or another. Most of them will tell you the same thing I did, the others are in fear that somebody will find out and they’ll get kicked out of the gate.

Did you have to go face to face to get your TWIC or is it possible online?

[QUOTE=salty wiper;141724]I’m eager to start a new career at sea. However, I’m very anxious about the background check related to the TWIC and Z card. Here is a list of my previous convictions…

6/2013 Driving vehicle not equipped with an ignition interlock as required by program

8/2009 DUI

3/2009 DUI

I know I have a problem, but I’ve addressed it. I have since obtained a driver’s license with no restrictions and I am not on probation. I called the CG and asked about the DUIs and the guy said it happened 5 years ago. Just apply and disclose them and you should be fine. I don’t know if he’s just saying that so I cough up the application fee. I do have a juvenile record. Here’s a list of date and convictions…

9/2003 Theft over $500 (misdemeanor)

9/2003 4th Degree Burglary (misdemeanor)

9/2003 CDS Possession Marijuana (misdemeanor)

9/2003 Theft under $500 (misdemeanor)

Questions…

1. Since these are juvenile charges, do I have to inform the USCG about this? Aren’t juvenile records sealed?

2. I know a seaman with 3 DUIs and a misdemeanor drug conviction, but that all happened in the late 80s early 90s. Will the DUIs really mess with my chances of obtaining TWIC and Z card?

Please don’t rant about how much of a screw up I am. I already know that. I just want get a well paying job to support my family.[/QUOTE]

You have to report ALL convictions to the Coast Guard, including juvenile offenses.

As you have three offenses involving alcohol or drugs, you will need to show that you are a sutiable person to hold an MMC. From 46 CFR 10.211:

(f) If an applicant has one or more alcohol or dangerous drug-related criminal or NDR-listed convictions, if the
applicant has ever been the user of, or addicted to the use of, a dangerous drug, or if the applicant applies before the
minimum assessment period for his or her conviction has elapsed, the Coast Guard may consider the following factors,
as applicable, in assessing the applicant’s suitability to hold an MMC. This list is intended as a guide for the Coast
Guard. The Coast Guard may consider other factors which it judges appropriate to a particular applicant, such as—
(1) Proof of completion of an accredited alcohol or drug abuse rehabilitation program;
(2) Active membership in a rehabilitation or counseling group, such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics
Anonymous;
(3) Character references from persons who can attest to the applicant’s sobriety, reliability, and suitability for
employment in the merchant marine, including parole or probation officers;
(4) Steady employment; and
(5) Successful completion of all conditions of parole or probation.

The most recent conviction will also count heavily against you. Failing to comply with the conditions of a sentence from another conviction does not speak well of whether your “character and habits of life” have changed.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Robert;141935]Quite frankly, the CG is going to care less about the old juvenile convictions. [/QUOTE]

Not true for the one for possession of marijuana. See my post above.

You’ve seen what Mr.Cavo has said and that’s what you need to do to get started. You said you’ve addressed your problem, be prepared to show proof of that to the USCG and expect to use it again with any potential employers. You will have to jump through more hoops than an average applicant but it is still possible.