Juvenile record - mmc -LOOK! SEE!

I have a super old record from when I was a teenager like 10 years ago. I’ve been fishing for 5 years and want to switch my career. I had no problem getting my TWIC because all questions regarding felonies only applied to the last 7 years, I have nothing on my record in the span of 10. But I know from various posts I have came across that I will be required to mention everything when applying for my mmc. none of these convictions are for smuggling, no violence just property crimes (burglary, car theft) but what worries me is I have a misdemeanor for possession of a gram of marijuana. I understand that the coast guard pays special attention to this.

Has anyone had the EXPIERENCE, keyword here, not opinion, of how this process would work? Or known anyone in a similar situation.I know plenty of felons get their mmc. I’m just trying to understand some of the snags I will encounter. Will it be necessary to have documentation in regards to the convictions? Like drug classes for the possession charge? Or will the span of time make this unnecessary ? basically what should I expect to happen?

Disclose everything. Attach hand written or typed explanation of all arrest and or convictions. Send copies of all related court documents. DO NOT HOLD BACK or LIE.

It was a while ago (2002) when a young Ensign gave me a little grief on the phone when I asked her about my being on probation for a DUI, but I still managed to get the MMD. By all means, get that juvenile record sealed. Hope this helps.

Just don’t lie to them. Wander all those question in that application truthfully and jump through the whoops they give you and you will get your document no problem. It worked for me.

[QUOTE=lm1883;143901]Were you tried in juvenile or criminal courts? If juvenile, then you are/were a delinquent, not a criminal. Delinquency decisions in most states are sealed.

Consult an attorney. 1800 obyrans would be the one I call.

http://obryanlaw.net/[/QUOTE]

There are no exemptions for juvenile convictions. Doesn’t matter if you want to call it delinquency or anything else. A conviction must be reported.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=licariman;143899]I have a super old record from when I was a teenager like 10 years ago. I’ve been fishing for 5 years and want to switch my career. I had no problem getting my TWIC because all questions regarding felonies only applied to the last 7 years, I have nothing on my record in the span of 10. But I know from various posts I have came across that I will be required to mention everything when applying for my mmc. none of these convictions are for smuggling, no violence just property crimes (burglary, car theft) but what worries me is I have a misdemeanor for possession of a gram of marijuana. I understand that the coast guard pays special attention to this.

Has anyone had the EXPIERENCE, keyword here, not opinion, of how this process would work? Or known anyone in a similar situation.I know plenty of felons get their mmc. I’m just trying to understand some of the snags I will encounter. Will it be necessary to have documentation in regards to the convictions? Like drug classes for the possession charge? Or will the span of time make this unnecessary ? basically what should I expect to happen?[/QUOTE]

You can send me a message here or email me at robert.thomas@avtec.edu and I will be happy to go over the details with you of what is involved with this.

[QUOTE=lm1883;143901]Were you tried in juvenile or criminal courts? If juvenile, then you are/were a delinquent, not a criminal. Delinquency decisions in most states are sealed.[/QUOTE]

Bad advice. It’s not always true, and even if the record is “sealed” it’s only sealed to the public. The Coast Guard accesses records through an FBI database. Disclose everything. If you lie and say no and it’s in the FBI records, you’ll be denied for lying, even if the convictions would have been old enough that they would not be considered.

[QUOTE=licariman;143899]I have a super old record from when I was a teenager like 10 years ago. I’ve been fishing for 5 years and want to switch my career. I had no problem getting my TWIC because all questions regarding felonies only applied to the last 7 years, I have nothing on my record in the span of 10. But I know from various posts I have came across that I will be required to mention everything when applying for my mmc. none of these convictions are for smuggling, no violence just property crimes (burglary, car theft) but what worries me is I have a misdemeanor for possession of a gram of marijuana. I understand that the coast guard pays special attention to this.

Has anyone had the EXPIERENCE, keyword here, not opinion, of how this process would work? Or known anyone in a similar situation.I know plenty of felons get their mmc. I’m just trying to understand some of the snags I will encounter. Will it be necessary to have documentation in regards to the convictions? Like drug classes for the possession charge? Or will the span of time make this unnecessary ? basically what should I expect to happen?[/QUOTE]

Every offense has a designated assessment period. If you are within that period, you will need to show more information, but can still get an MMC. After that period, it’s not considered.

But, it sounds like it was a drug offense. If so you will need to provide the following no matter how long ago the conviction was:

1. Proof of completion of an accredited alcohol or drug abuse rehabilitation program;
    (2) Active membership in a rehabilitation or counseling group, such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous;
    (3) Character references from persons who can attest to the applicant’s sobriety, reliability, and suitability for employment in the merchant marine including parole or probation officers;
    (4) Steady employment; and
    (5) Successful completion of all conditions of parole or probation.

I will concur with everyone else before me and urge you to disclose any convictions. The problem isn’t necessarily the offense; it’s the coverup. If you have completed sentence and any rehabilitative requirements and have behaved yourself since, you should be able to move on. Mr. Cavo laid out the details for you.

How does a first offense dui look when trying to get my mmc and twic and/or possibly joining the siu?
I’ve been interested in working as a deckhand and i’m worried my record (all misdemeanors) might hurt.