New MMC doesn't qualify for reduced TWIC fee?!

Hello All,
I’ve just returned from the TWIC enrollment center for the Port of Boston (which has relocated to an office park in the ‘great seafaring’ town of Woburn).
I’m filing for renewal

A few things I learned today…

1. Your passport-style MMC will not qualify you for the reduced processing fee of $102. There is a memo that was circulated to the various TWIC offices, complete with pictures of a MMC, Z-card/MMD, and a paper license, with check marks and x’s next to each image for whether it qualifies for reduced fees. (MMD and paper license have checks, MMC gets an X)
  2. LOCKHEED MARTIN handles the TWIC. If you intend to pay with a certified check, it’ll have their name written after “Pay to”

I was shocked that our [I]new and improved[/I] MMC would somehow be interpreted differently than the old MMD/license combination. I protested the fee and requested a copy of the (posted) memo, to no avail. Basically, I was told that the memo was internal and not for distribution to the public, and that if I wished to have a renewed TWIC (…and therefore license, job, home, etc…) I would have to pay the $132.50 processing fee.

[B]From the TSA’s website FAQ’s:[/B] “The fee for TWIC is $132.50 and is valid for five years. Workers with current, comparable background checks will pay a reduced fee of $105.25.”

So FYI, none of the following documents qualify as “current, comparable background checks”. I tried them all.

1. A Current TWIC Card.
  2. A Navy CAC Card
  3. A Merchant Mariner’s Credential
  4. State license
  5. Passport
  6. DoD ID

Good luck.

Write a letter to your Congressman and Senators, copy the NMC, TSA, and Lockheed Martin (if they aren’t too smug to provide an address).

The reason you get the reduced price for the MMD and paper license is because that means you paid the CG for a background check when you got them and so you don’t need to pay again. With an MMC that means your background check is 5 years old roughly and is no longer considered current.

You definitely don’t get a background check for a passport or state license, can’t speak for the two DOD documents you refer to.

That makes sense. Getting the MMC didn’t require a background check, and the old TWIC is old, thus they are doing a new background check. What you described is exactly how the system is supposed to work.

[QUOTE=Oceansmate;55922]…1. Your passport-style MMC will not qualify you for the reduced processing fee of $102. There is a memo that was circulated to the various TWIC offices, complete with pictures of a MMC, Z-card/MMD, and a paper license, with check marks and x’s next to each image for whether it qualifies for reduced fees. (MMD and paper license have checks, MMC gets an X)[/QUOTE]

The reduced fee was a transition provision when the MMC and TWIC were created. The reduced fee was based on not having to do another background check. It was one-time only and recognized that you already had a background check in the previous five years and thus you don’t need another one. If you have the MMC, or are renewing a TWIC, this no longer applies. This is why the old license and MMD are listed, but not the MMC.

Mr. Cavo,
I’m surprised to hear that obtaining the MMC does not involve a background check. I was under the impression that the purpose of the passport style document was both to reduce the amount of carried paper and to heighten the security of licencing.

All the same, why would an active security clearance not be considered “current and/or comparable”. My old TWIC is only 3 years old, it involved a background check and it’s still valid until Nov. Why is it not current/comparable?

My frustration stems largely from the fact that I’ve never once used a TWIC card, except to present it at the USCG office.

Geez. It’s only US$30.50 difference. To be honest, hardly worth griping about.

[QUOTE=Oceansmate;55944]Mr. Cavo,
I’m surprised to hear that obtaining the MMC does not involve a background check. I was under the impression that the purpose of the passport style document was both to reduce the amount of carried paper and to heighten the security of licencing.

All the same, why would an active security clearance not be considered “current and/or comparable”. My old TWIC is only 3 years old, it involved a background check and it’s still valid until Nov. Why is it not current/comparable?

My frustration stems largely from the fact that I’ve never once used a TWIC card, except to present it at the USCG office.[/QUOTE]

I was overly general. It does require a background check. However, the expense comes in the intiaition of the check, collecting the fingerrprints, uploading them into the FBI system, and intiating the exchange of data. Both TSA and the USCG do their own checks, but the collection of fingerpirnts and nitiation of the process is consolidated.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;55961]I was overly general. It does require a background check. However, the expense comes in the intiaition of the check, collecting the fingerrprints, uploading them into the FBI system, and intiating the exchange of data. Both TSA and the USCG do their own checks, but the collection of fingerpirnts and nitiation of the process is consolidated.[/QUOTE]

I would love to see the books on the “expense” coming out of the check, [B]There shouldn’t be a fee for renewal[/B], The government(s) made enough money on the first round. And cmakin, yes 30.50 is enough to gripe about. And then on top of that, the big joke of U.S. ports not reciprocating each others “port Passes” so there is another hunk of change.

I wanna throw up on this topic, anyone ever seen a pie graph, of how this “fee” covered what/where ever? no, not at our caliber, there’s not one. “saving” 30 bucks, yeah that should hold off anyone questioning. I’m all for the homeland security, But someone that’s from [B]NE[/B]braska had 2 months of arguing over denial for TWIC, because someone put them from the [B]NE[/B]therlands.

Where were contingency plans for that? Hold someone out for that long, Oh No, don’t question the system, or try to imput (help). “I didn’t know that person anyway” “be glad it wasn’t me”…“what are you so worried about” hmmmmmmmmmm

I’m sure there were a lot of complaints at first, but now the initial [I]pain[/I] has wore off, it’s a monetary gripe, oh, butt the $30.50 cents should hold off most of that off.

Ok. done venting.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;55961]I was overly general. It does require a background check.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think you were being overly general Chief, I thought you explained it pretty well.

Ask yourself this question, can you get an MMC without first having a TWIC? The answer is no, because TSA (or Lockheed Martin) is the one conducting the background check. The difference is that the USCG is not reducing their fee, even though they are not conducting a separate background check. They are using the one from your TWIC.

I have jsut started renewing all my docs. In the almost five years I’ve had a TWIC, I have never once putit in a scanner. I have shown it to some very surly minimum wage earing security guards. I have also sharpened the edges of the card so I can fling it at any terrorist types causing greivous bodily harm. Thus helping to keep America’s waterways safe for democracy.