Questions about first MMC physical

Hi guys, just a few questions from a wannabe OS. Some of this stuff might be common knowledge, but my searches are only getting me so far. If you know of any posts/articles that accurately cover these topics, I’d appreciate your pointing me in the right direction.

[ol]
[li]For my physical, do I need to complete form 719K, form 719K/E, or both? My research has me leaning toward 719K/E, but some sources seem to suggest otherwise.[/li][li]Are family doctors typically willing to conduct MMC physicals? Would you guys recommend going that route, or would I be better off visiting a dedicated occupational health provider?[/li][li]Will insurance typically cover the appointment cost, or should I expect to pay out of pocket since it could be considered a non-essential service?[/li][li]If paying out of pocket, what’s a reasonable price that I should expect to pay? Just found one local place that charges $240(!). Ouch - please tell me that’s not typical.[/li][/ol]

Thanks.

You can just use the 719 K/E

I’ve gone to my family doctor but it seems occupational centers understand the coast guard physical better. My doctor looked at it strangely at times(that was the 719k though). Occupational centers usually always have all the proper equipment to conduct the exams to its entirety.

Most insurances pay for one physical exam a year so you’d have to try and just schedule and " routine physical" and then have them fill out the 719k/e at the same time.

The occupational center that I use around me that is very very familiar with mariner physicals charges 75 bucks.

All from personal experience. Maybe others have better input on here.

[QUOTE=c+man;195515]Hi guys, just a few questions from a wannabe OS. Some of this stuff might be common knowledge, but my searches are only getting me so far. If you know of any posts/articles that accurately cover these topics, I’d appreciate your pointing me in the right direction.
[ol]
[li]For my physical, do I need to complete form 719K, form 719K/E, or both? My research has me leaning toward 719K/E, but some sources seem to suggest otherwise.[/li][li]Are family doctors typically willing to conduct MMC physicals? Would you guys recommend going that route, or would I be better off visiting a dedicated occupational health provider?[/li][li]Will insurance typically cover the appointment cost, or should I expect to pay out of pocket since it could be considered a non-essential service?[/li][li]If paying out of pocket, what’s a reasonable price that I should expect to pay? Just found one local place that charges $240(!). Ouch - please tell me that’s not typical.[/li][/ol]
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

What form you need depends on what you are applying for. The K/E form is for entry level only: Ordinary Seaman, Wiper, and Steward’s Department. Everything else needs the 719K form.
I’ve never had a doctor refuse to do my physical, you’ll increase your chances if you let them know ahead of time and give them a copy of the form and instructions in sufficient time in advance of your appointment. If they only see it when you giver it to them during your visit, it, they may not be as willing to do it.

Thank you Jody and Jeremy for your responses. You’ve been a big help! I feel like I dodged a bullet with those forms - the K/E variant looks far less intimidating. Since the entry level physical is less involved, I might try my luck with the doc. But if he won’t give me the time of day, it’s good to know that occupational centers get cheaper than my first quote.

Much appreciated, guys.

1 Like