Medical Clearance

Could anyone in detail tell me what goes on at the medical exam? What are minor things that can disqualify you? I have heard cavities in the teeth can anyone clarify that? Also what about HPV? Finally if anyone has specially gotten an MMC to work on a cruise ship that would be bonus points to answering the question!

Look at the physical form (CG719K) that need to be filled out and you will see what is examined.
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/NMC/pdfs/forms/CG_719K.pdf

Thank your trying to help. I actually am familiar with the form and while it gives me a good understanding I was just trying to get an even better understanding than what the form entails. It’s little unclear if for example checking yes I have this condition is automatic disqualification. I don’t know if I even have any medical problems just so many people have different experiences so I find it stressful.

A “Yes” does not automatically disqualify you but would likely require additional explanation. For example I separated my shoulder skiing. I had to give dates and whether it effected me working.

Cavities…? You need to talk/listen to some with shred of a clue.

Try this, but be warned, it’s a bit dense:

1 Like

Hey thanks I really appreciate you and anyone who contributes :slight_smile: let me ask you this and if anyone else actually sees this great…but do you have to forward them your own medical records from your own doctor?

You can find a doctor that is familiar with these forms and the process, or if you have a doctor you know and like, you can work with them and educate them (and yourself) in the process. My doctor and I learned together. Read the material (ALL OF IT) in the links already provided. It’s all there in black and white. Just needs some effort on your part.

The first step is to submit the medical form. If the completed form answers yes to anything you may be asked to provide additional information, or if you authorized your doctor and the Coast Guard to do so, they may contact the doctor directly. You can use any doctor licensed in the U.S. It would be advisable to provide them with a copy of the form in advance so they can better prepare.

If you are an entry level mariner you can use the short form.

It makes sense to go to an occupational medicine clinic that does a lot of USCG physicals, and pre-employment physicals for maritime employers. They know how to do it. They do these physicals for a flat fee and they try to move people through quickly.

Most importantly, if you have a physical that’s less than a year old from a well known clinic that does a lot of employer physicals, potential employers may not bother with a company physical, or may be more likely to hire you knowing that you’ll probably pass the physical.

For example: if you are in Seattle, you might go to “The Work Clinic”. That’s where a lot of local employers would send you anyway for the company physical and drug test.

Regarding “cavities”. Get your teeth fixed. You don’t want to be at sea, days or weeks from port, with a toothache. That is also a very expensive problem for your employer.

Good, inexpensive, prompt dental work is available in Mexico.

1 Like

I will second going to an occupational health place. They are set up for doing these physicals and know what the CG or DOT are looking for.

yea, a doc in the box will get your thru fast. I have 6 stents, phart incessantly, no teeth, had to memorize the eye chart, & can only talk while belching but i get a 2 yr. ok to sail then have to do the physical again.