Question regarding DDE 4000 HP schools/courses

I am looking into getting my first license, DDE 4000 HP.

Are there schools that offer a course for a DDE that after completion, I would not have to sit at an REC and test?

I’ve found several DDE courses available in my area, but they are labeled as prep courses.
I’ve been told that those prep courses are basically just a 4 week study course and I would still have to take the exam at an REC.

Thanks for your help.
Less
Northeast FL

Unless you are a complete fucktard your just wasting your money. Buy the books and study the information, flash drive test stick helped alot for the test questions. None of the course prep classes bypass the exams at the REC.

[QUOTE=less;173321]I am looking into getting my first license, DDE 4000 HP.

Are there schools that offer a course for a DDE that after completion, I would not have to sit at an REC and test?

I’ve found several DDE courses available in my area, but they are labeled as prep courses.
I’ve been told that those prep courses are basically just a 4 week study course and I would still have to take the exam at an REC.

Thanks for your help.
Less
Northeast FL[/QUOTE]

You must test.

How much difference is there between the DDE exam and the Assistant Engineer Limited exam?

If money is no object by all means go for it. There are plenty of affordable alternatives. I used mariner advancement, and then lapware for the last couple months before testing, because by reputation lapware has the most up to date question bank.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;174779]How much difference is there between the DDE exam and the Assistant Engineer Limited exam?[/QUOTE]

Dde unlimited and assistant engineer limited are the same modules.

[QUOTE=Ctony;174780]Dde unlimited and assistant engineer limited are the same modules.[/QUOTE]

What about DDE 4,000 and Assistant Engineer Limited 4,000?

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;174781]What about DDE 4,000 and Assistant Engineer Limited 4,000?[/QUOTE]

The Assistant Engineer Limited exams are four 70 question modules, and require the same amount of seatime as the DDE unlimited. Coincidentally I am currently approved to test for this.

DDE 4000 exams are three 50 question modules. Under the old rules a DDE 4000 can get an Assistant Engineer OSV with no further testing, however…

Mid Atlantic Maritime Academy has a 4 week DDE 1000-4000 course. No testing at REC upon completion is necessary. I took my advanced fire there, great facility.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;174781]What about DDE 4,000 and Assistant Engineer Limited 4,000?[/QUOTE]
Assistant Engineer Limited 4,000 isn’t a license as far as I’m aware. A/E limited limits your horsepower to 150% of the max vessel hp 50% of your service was on.

[QUOTE=MickAK;174839]Assistant Engineer Limited 4,000 isn’t a license as far as I’m aware. A/E limited limits your horsepower to 150% of the max vessel hp 50% of your service was on.[/QUOTE]

The hp calculation that goes with the license is based on the hp the sea service shows. Had an old co worker that was an assistant limited with a 3k restriction.
DDE licenses are the only engine licenses that go just by sea time.

[QUOTE=VibrationTech;174833]Mid Atlantic Maritime Academy has a 4 week DDE 1000-4000 course. No testing at REC upon completion is necessary. I took my advanced fire there, great facility.[/QUOTE]

Yes. I met guys at Mid-Atlantic taking the DDE course (I think it’s about a month long, and there may also be some seatime credit for taking the course). These guys were really impressed with the course.

Of the guys I have seen studying onboard, I agree that the DDE exams look quite easy. Most guys could self study. However, there are some people who need the structure of classes and homework every day. Mid-Atlantic would be good for them — as long as they can stay away from the hotel bar.

Maybe MAMA has someone come in and proctor the exams for 12+ guys at the school, but your still sitting for the exams.

[QUOTE=MickAK;174839]Assistant Engineer Limited 4,000 isn’t a license as far as I’m aware. A/E limited limits your horsepower to 150% of the max vessel hp 50% of your service was on.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Ctony;174840]The hp calculation that goes with the license is based on the hp the sea service shows. Had an old co worker that was an assistant limited with a 3k restriction. DDE licenses are the only engine licenses that go just by sea time.[/QUOTE]
There is no specific endorsement as Assistant Engineer Less Than 4,000 HP. Any such endorsements are because the holder of it did not have at least half of their service on vessels over 4,000 HP and has a HP limit per 46 CFR 11.503. There is only one examination for Assistant Engineer, and there is no additional exam to remove or raise any HP limit.

[QUOTE=BargeMonkey;174868]Maybe MAMA has someone come in and proctor the exams for 12+ guys at the school, but your still sitting for the exams.[/QUOTE]

Yes. It’s true that you do sit for the USCG Exam at any school were you take a course that includes the exam, but the school instructors proctor the exams. The principle difference is psychological. Whether you take it st the USCG or at the school it’s the same exam.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;174873]Yes. It’s true that you do sit for the USCG Exam at any school were you take a course that includes the exam, but the school instructors proctor the exams. The principle difference is psychological. Whether you take it st the USCG or at the school it’s the same exam.[/QUOTE]

It’s not really the “same” exam, it’s an equivalent exam. The school prepares it, not the Coast Guard. However, a substantial majority of schools simply use the same questions the Coast Guard uses (they are currently available from the NMC web page). The Coast Guard won’t approve any course that does not have an end of course exam that is equivalent in scope and difficulty to the one the Coast Guard would give. In fact, a strict reading of the regulatory standard for such a course might suggest that the school’s exam has to be harder and/or more comprehensive than the Coast Guard prepares. As specified in 46 CFR 10.403(a)(4), each school whose course will substitute for a Coast Guard exam must:

[I]Administer written examinations to each student appropriate for the course material and the knowledge requirements of the position or endorsement for which the student is being trained. For a course approved to substitute for a Coast Guard-administered examination, the courses must be of such a degree of difficulty that a student who successfully completes them would most likely pass, [U]on the first attempt[/U], an examination prepared by the Coast Guard[/I]. [emphasis added]

[QUOTE=less;173321]I am looking into getting my first license, DDE 4000 HP.

Thanks for your help.
Less
Northeast FL[/QUOTE]

When I applied for 3A/E, I also applied for DDE Unlimited (which is time based, not HP based).

They sent a letter approving both tests. Yes, you have to test for it.

If you can manage a 3A/E exam, you should do fine on the DDE exam. The material and questions are from the same question bank.

I prepared for both and passed both by self preparation. Not knocking the prep courses, but you can do it on your own with some elbow grease.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;174869]There is no specific endorsement as Assistant Engineer Less Than 4,000 HP. Any such endorsements are because the holder of it did not have at least half of their service on vessels over 4,000 HP and has a HP limit per 46 CFR 11.503. There is only one examination for Assistant Engineer, and there is no additional exam to remove or raise any HP limit.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

When I took my Steam 3a/e and later, my Motor modules, they were titled on the cover, Unlimited HP. My limits are based on my recent service. When I accumulate enough appropriate unlimited service, my license can be upgraded by submitting the time with no further testing.

The DDE HP limits are time based, not HP based. Confusing, but there it is. Both licenses get an exam.

[QUOTE=catherder;174940]When I applied for 3A/E, I also applied for DDE Unlimited (which is time based, not HP based).

They sent a letter approving both tests. Yes, you have to test for it.

If you can manage a 3A/E exam, you should do fine on the DDE exam. The material and questions are from the same question bank.

I prepared for both and passed both by self preparation. Not knocking the prep courses, but you can do it on your own with some elbow grease.[/QUOTE]

It seems that more and more, my comments start, “Way back in the old days” . . . so in keeping with that, way back in the old days, I used to sail as Chief on uninspected tugs and ATBs with my unlimited 3rds, steam and motor. . . there was no DDE credential or license at the time. I believe that it came about not too long after I came ashore. The idea being to deal with the fact that a license was not needed on uninspected vessels for engineers. . .and how more and more of these uninspected vessels having a good amount of horsepower.

I have been pretty vocal about the quality of some of the assistants that I used to get, but to be fair, two of the worst that immediately come to mind did have unlimited 3rds (or higher) and I had to let them go; one after his first couple of weeks onboard and one that flew out to join. . . sent him packing before he unpacked. . . . and he had an unlimited Chief Motor license. . . .just shows you never know. . .one was state Academy and the other a hawsepiper. . . to me, no difference regarding how you got your license, or for that matter what your license is. . .what mattered to me most was the level of enthusiasm and skills anyone brought to my engine room. . . being a good guy was a bonus, but I digress. . .again . .

I flat out didn’t have the money or the ability to take the time off the boat when I sat for my first DDE to attend the prep class, glad now I didn’t waste the money. If you don’t have a decent handle on the information to begin with your just pissing money in the wind. I would at least buy the Houston marine books before I went to the class. I just hope alot of the guys in these classes sit back and realize what they are getting into, most engineer jobs on limited tonnage / tugs isn’t romantic. I keep shit glued together and running long enough till you can get somewhere, no assistant to clean, maybe a good deckhand when shit gets bad but your on your own and it takes a while for these new guys to realize that, they go and bullshit a company into a job then crash and burn. I’m hanging my ticket up and going shoreside in 6 months hopefully, can’t come fast enough.

[QUOTE=BargeMonkey;175396] I’m hanging my ticket up and going shoreside in 6 months hopefully, can’t come fast enough.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear you are leaving the industry, I wish you the best of luck in your new venture, but I would keep that license valid though, young feller.