Question for DPOs

Good Evening Gents,

I have a question concerning B and C sections.
Captain on board the vessel hasn`t got Full DP ticket.
Would like to know if the Officer in Charge of Navigation Watch with Full DP ticket can sign sections B and C sections?

Thanks in advance for your help

One of the Captains that signed me off did not have his. He couldn’t read too well either.

Consult the official guide by Captain D Bray FNI which is available from the Nautical Institute if nobody reply’s with an answer to your question.

I have tried to contact NI but no one answered me. So then i decided to ask people here.

[QUOTE=Estpeer;54754]I have tried to contact NI but no one answered me. So then i decided to ask people here.[/QUOTE]

Well if you can’t get it answered here. It probably can’t be answered.

Whoever signs your book does not have to have a full ticket. Even the personnel manager in the office can sign it. This is clearly stated in a PDF file I have from the NI. Might take a while to find it bit this info is correct.

[QUOTE=Capt. Lee;54752]One of the Captains that signed me off did not have his. He couldn’t read too well either.[/QUOTE]

I hope you talking about someone else.

Remind me what are B and C sections, I don;t have my book with me. I’m pretty sure the NI has changed the rules recently or maybe they are all changing Jan 1 2012 and I think now it does not have to be the captain but it does have to be a fully qualified DPO (they did that since lots of captains were not qualified DPOs and so not qualified to judge competency). I am positive the guy in the office CAN NOT sign off on your DP qualifications since they did not see you on the boat doing your job as DPO tho they can sign off on your sea time.

[QUOTE=Louis;54765]I hope you talking about someone else.[/QUOTE]

I was!!! It wasn’t you!

[QUOTE=JP;54767]Remind me what are B and C sections, I don;t have my book with me. I’m pretty sure the NI has changed the rules recently or maybe they are all changing Jan 1 2012 and I think now it does not have to be the captain but it does have to be a fully qualified DPO (they did that since lots of captains were not qualified DPOs and so not qualified to judge competency). I am positive the guy in the office CAN NOT sign off on your DP qualifications since they did not see you on the boat doing your job as DPO tho they can sign off on your sea time.[/QUOTE]

I was told by NI and the instructor for the basic and advanced classes that another DPO (Limited or Unlimited) could sign off on your assessments in section C. Section B required the Masters signature as this shows not only seatime but also requires the vessels stamp.

The 2012 changes reflect tonnage requirements and also will require a letter from your company for the seatime.