Poll - Best Non-Required Training Class

Hey guys I put up a poll question on the blog. Click <a title=“Best Maritime Training Classes” href="http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/poll-best-non-required-training-class/]HERE to cast your vote!

<P>Required by who?<br><br>Advanced Ship Handling is required for STCW<br>DP - is required by some employers/clients<br><br>John,<br> Are you working for the Coast Guard now? This sure does seem like one of those subjective questions they like to ask.</P>

Yopu’re right about Avanced Shiphandling being a required STCW course for Chief Mate or Master. It might be better to replace this with a common course that is not required, like ECDIS (unless you get your “Advanced Navigation” course from MEBA, MITAGS, or PMI where ECDIS is the first part of the Advanced Nav.).<br><br>I don’t think we ever asked a subjective question about the courses. If we did, I’d have included a second question asking for an explantion of why you think the course was good or bad.<br><br>James D. Cavo<br>Chief, Mariner Training & Assessment Division<br>USCG National Maritime Center<br><A href="mailto:James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil]<font color=#3354aa>James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil</font></A>

I believe that Star-Center just started ECDIS within their Advanced Navigation. I know Capt.Lee is kicking himself is the butt because he completed the class right before they got approved to include ECDIS…not that it’s required like you said, but it’s always nice to get two birds with one stone.

ECDIS will probably eventually get a more prominent place in STCW and may become required. We’d likely grandfather old courses, so getting this two for one is probably a good idea. <br><br>James D. Cavo<br>Chief, Mariner Training & Assessment Division<br>USCG National Maritime Center<br><A href="mailto:James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil]<font color=#3354aa>James.D.Cavo@uscg.mil</font></A>

My vote is with the old National Sealift Trainging Program that GMATS at KP used to put on…good informative classes, and great meals up in the Executive Dining Room.<br><br>

<P>I have taken all of the STCW courses required for third mate unlimited. The best course I took was a RYA (Royal Yachtmaster Association) “yachtmaster” two-week course. One week of Admiralty Charts navigation with heavy emphasis on tides and currents; the second week all boathandling on a twin-screw 48-foot powerboat. Six students in the class. 10 hours a day on the water. Lots of single-screw maneuvering and docking with and against current - both inboard and outboard screws.<br><br>The boat handling exam was also 10 hours on the water with a outside examiner. Two students at a time. Cost - $3,000.<br><br>Imagine having to prove that you can handle a boat in order to get a license!</P>