Advanced Ship Handling +more required by Dec 2016 for all

This is a new required course to be fully STCW endorsed. It seems MPT offers a 10 day course for the low, low price of $4,995. I think it includes the search and rescue course. Then there is advanced meteorology, Leadership and Management skills, and advanced stability…just those total 25 more of our valuable days away from work and $8200 more dollars. I wonder how much of this is a result of these schools lobbying our government officials to continue to add these courses and fatten their bottom line? Will there ever be an end to it?

I heard from one school they did lobby for this. That’s why it happened. There used to assessments that could be signed off to satisfy this. I was hoping you could do the assessments. These courses are expensive.

When I started shipping out in the 80’s. You worked , went home for a while (to vacation/unwind) and then go back. Seems now, you go to work and time off will be spent in class. The best part, these schools lobby the govt saying more requirments are needed to ship out and then in class, the same schools complain about regulations killing the shipping and other industrys. If assessments were done onboard, they (schools) would be out of business. IMO

Is this an unlimited level class or will we lowly limited tonnage guys have to do this as well?

Nearly $5000!!! WTF!!!

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;135539]Is this an unlimited level class or will we lowly limited tonnage guys have to do this as well?

Nearly $5000!!! WTF!!![/QUOTE]

This is another reason why those of us who are not on welfare (training grants) or not working for companies that are on welfare (training grants, or grants to run their own schools), need pay raises. We need to be able to get the cost of these courses back through wage increases.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;135541]This is another reason why those of us who are not on welfare (training grants) or not working for companies that are on welfare (training grants, or grants to run their own schools), need pay raises. We need to be able to get the cost of these courses back through wage increases.[/QUOTE]

I’m making 100 ton master type pay right now and waiting for my permission to test for the 3000ITC…All the courses I had to take have already taken a toll on my budget and family. Now this!

I looked at the checklist on the NMC website, As an engineer, the few courses that I need are only if the sea time started after 3/24/14. same for the masters. Does this mean we are grandfathered in or will we be required to take these classes later on down the road?

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;135539]Is this an unlimited level class or will we lowly limited tonnage guys have to do this as well?

Nearly $5000!!! WTF!!![/QUOTE]

Courses are also required for an STCW endorsement for Master 500 GT to 3,000 GT. The courses are not required for this or the “unlimited” endorsement if you began service for the endorsement before March 24, 2014 and you apply before January 1, 2017.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=chefedemaquina;135546]I looked at the checklist on the NMC website, As an engineer, the few courses that I need are only if the sea time started after 3/24/14. same for the masters. Does this mean we are grandfathered in or will we be required to take these classes later on down the road?[/QUOTE]

There are requirements in order for an engineer STCW endorsement to be valid after December 31, 2016, even if you started service before March 24, 2014.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=chefedemaquina;135546]I looked at the checklist on the NMC website, As an engineer, the few courses that I need are only if the sea time started after 3/24/14. same for the masters. Does this mean we are grandfathered in or will we be required to take these classes later on down the road?[/QUOTE]

If you are grandfathered by having service before 3/24/2014 and you get the endorsement before 1/1/2017, you will not have to take the ship handling, meteorology, or stability courses to be valid after 12/31/2016. Also, if you were grandfathered and got a chief mate endorsement before 1/1/2017 you won’t need these courses to upgrade to master for the same tonnage.

But you still have to take the management and leadership classes right? AND renew Basic Safety Training and Advanced Firefighting, right?
You Engineers are SO lucky!!!

[QUOTE=ShawnYoungblood;135521]This is a new required course to be fully STCW endorsed… Will there ever be an end to it?[/QUOTE]

Si. It will be when a Filipino comes and takes your job. Because not enough of us wrote letters to congressman, senators and DC in general to voice our opinion.

There is no use complaining unless you have taken the time to write the chairperson of the merchant marine subcomittees when they are hearing such proposals. It doesn’t happen often, but it DOES happen.

As it stands now, what is done is done. Your Union and the ‘Federal Register’ would be good places to start to look for info on what, when, where, how, why this shit starts, and how to put YOUR input in on how to stop it.

You guys are showing your age and your a bit behind the times.

Because fishing and the merchant marine were no longer considered economically important enough to justfy their own committtee, the House Merchant Marine and Fisheries Committe was disbanded over 20 years ago.

Fisheries are now under the Natural Resources Committee. I’m not sure where they put merchant marine.

Merchant Marine was DOT. Now DHS perhaps?

[QUOTE=JP;135840]But you still have to take the management and leadership classes right? AND renew Basic Safety Training and Advanced Firefighting, right?
You Engineers are SO lucky!!![/QUOTE]

Those lucky engineers also have to take more courses than Mates and Captains to keep their endorsements valid after January 1, 2017. They all need Engine Resource Management, and Chiefs and Firsts need Management of Electric and Electronic Control Equipment in addition to Leadership and Managerial Skills and refreshers for BST, Advanced Firefighting, and PSC.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;135897]Those lucky engineers also have to take more courses than Mates and Captains to keep their endorsements valid after January 1, 2017. They all need Engine Resource Management, and Chiefs and Firsts need Management of Electric and Electronic Control Equipment in addition to Leadership and Managerial Skills and refreshers for BST, Advanced Firefighting, and PSC.[/QUOTE]

but what about fuel management and protection?

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=tugsailor;135887]Fisheries are now under the Natural Resources Committee. I’m not sure where they put merchant marine.[/QUOTE]

It is the Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation subcommittee to the Transportation and Infrastructure full House committee… Duncan Hunter of California is the ranking member

[QUOTE=jdcavo;135897]Those lucky engineers also have to take more courses than Mates and Captains to keep their endorsements valid after January 1, 2017. They all need Engine Resource Management, and Chiefs and Firsts need Management of Electric and Electronic Control Equipment in addition to Leadership and Managerial Skills and refreshers for BST, Advanced Firefighting, and PSC.[/QUOTE]

It is going to be difficult for the Chiefs and Firsts to get these courses if more courses are not approved quickly. Calhoun will not be able to handle the load by themselves.

[QUOTE=c.captain;135907]but what about fuel management and protection?

• Updated - - -

It is the Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation subcommittee to the Transportation and Infrastructure full House committee… Duncan Hunter of California is the ranking member[/QUOTE]

California says it all!

Pure nonsense! Most of these type classes you are rushed through and pass, last one I was in (HUET) what a waste of time (away from family) and money, not to mention 4 students out of 17 couldn’t even swim and they passed HUET and Sea Survival. Come on Man!

Are cadets at the academies grandfathered in as well if they started there sea time prior to 3/14?

[QUOTE=roundabout;135940]California says it all!

Pure nonsense! Most of these type classes you are rushed through and pass, last one I was in (HUET) what a waste of time (away from family) and money, not to mention 4 students out of 17 couldn’t even swim and they passed HUET and Sea Survival. Come on Man![/QUOTE]
The classes are not stupid, just the quality of the classes. And who can’t swim in a modern country in the year 2014?
HUET shows that you don’t panic in that type of situation, I for one would feel much better that the guy sitting next too the window can prove that he is capable of leaving the helicopter.

[QUOTE=Kraken;136024]The classes are not stupid, just the quality of the classes. And who can’t swim in a modern country in the year 2014?
HUET shows that you don’t panic in that type of situation, I for one would feel much better that the guy sitting next too the window can prove that he is capable of leaving the helicopter.[/QUOTE]

Given that we do have to spend our time and money on these classes, we should at least get our money’s worth. Unfortunately, the companies, and the USCG, just want to see the certificates. Most of the schools just want to make money for doing very little. Most of these 5 day classes cost more than a full semester course at a state university, yet the schools put very little effort and equipment into them. Some of the classes are great, some are ok, most classes are dumbed down so far that they are a waste of time and money.

I agree that people who cannot swim have no business working on a boat.

I think the real scam for you guys is the USCG wont let you do any other flag states courses as part of your license.
Yet STCW-95 is meant to be a level playing field?
Other countries have no issue with that at all.