Leadership & Management course

WOW, just discovered that Leadership & Management at Houston Marine is now four days and $600 USD. In Kenner, Louisiana, now called Falck Maritime Services. 800.947.7737 or local 504.468.4444

[QUOTE=NOGILLS2;187907]WOW, just discovered that Leadership & Management at Houston Marine is now four days and $600 USD. In Kenner, Louisiana, now called Falck Maritime Services. 800.947.7737 or local 504.468.4444[/QUOTE]

It looks like Houston/Falck has had to match Delgado’s $600 price in order to get any students for their course. $600 is what this course (that requires no equipment) should cost.

Most other schools are way overcharging at $1200. A new school in Washington was charging $600, but just raised its price to $800 and started also offering the course in Las Vegas. What a cash cow this fluff course is for the schools. I’m really tired of being overcharged by these price gouging schools.

Maine Maritime offers it for $1200, but most of it is online, and you only have to show up for one day. Still a giant waste of money, but saving 3-4 days of sitting in a class, and potentially hotel bills makes it seem like a good deal.

I Would have liked an excuse to spend a week I’m Vegas. Fuck me for being proactive and already taking it

I’m convinced that this class is just a handout for the schools.

I have to pay $1000 and lose a week off for some BS class or lose my STCW? Awesome, thanks for going in dry.

My employer is hemming and hawing about paying for it too. I’m just going to play their game, when they need me to have it, and they will soon, they can pay for it.

I’m glad my last expired paper license is hanging on my office wall and won’t ever hang on a bulkhead again. I forgot where the little red book ended up. The message I get from all this endless BS is that hawsepipers will soon become a dying breed.

[QUOTE=z-drive;187921]I Would have liked an excuse to spend a week I’m Vegas. Fuck me for being proactive and already taking it[/QUOTE]

That would have been the perfect course to pair with partying in vegas. Not much studying required.

Search and rescue
Terrestrial and celestial nav and electronic nav systems
Watch keeping, COLREGS and communication
Basic cargo handling and storage
Basic ship handling
Basic stability and construction
Basic meteorology

just wanted to add to the list

Yeah, I’m sure the class is going to suck. I’m taking it soon on my own dollar. $1195.00 at QMT. Is there an opinion to take it in Vegas!?

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;187946]Yeah, I’m sure the class is going to suck. I’m taking it soon on my own dollar. $1195.00 at QMT. Is there an opinion to take it in Vegas!?[/QUOTE]

I heard some excitement about the $600 cost of the school in Bremerton, but I have not talked to anyone that has actually taken the course. They got enough business to raise the price to $800 and they were smart to also offer it in Los Vegas. Vegas has a lot of flights and a lot of hotels, so it can be a relatively cheap place to travel and stay. It’s also a place where it’s easy to waste a lot of money if you are not careful.

[QUOTE=Lee Shore;187928]I’m glad my last expired paper license is hanging on my office wall and won’t ever hang on a bulkhead again. I forgot where the little red book ended up. The message I get from all this endless BS is that hawsepipers will soon become a dying breed.[/QUOTE]

Yep, when my last License expired, it really bothered me but with all of the B.S. that everyone has to jump through I guess being retired is not a bad thing. I was just talking to a friend that is getting ready for his UL Masters License to run out of it’s year of grace. He considered renewing it but looking at the cost of doing it when there is a slim to no chance of sailing on it seemed like a no brainer. Watching that License, that took how long to finally achieve, go away really sucks! I know it was tough on me but I did renewed for Continuity. So at least there is a chance of getting it back, not going to happen but a guy can dream.

[QUOTE=Tugs;187959]Yep, when my last License expired, it really bothered me but with all of the B.S. that everyone has to jump through I guess being retired is not a bad thing. I was just talking to a friend that is getting ready for his UL Masters License to run out of it’s year of grace. He considered renewing it but looking at the cost of doing it when there is a slim to no chance of sailing on it seemed like a no brainer. Watching that License, that took how long to finally achieve, go away really sucks! I know it was tough on me but I did renewed for Continuity. So at least there is a chance of getting it back, not going to happen but a guy can dream.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. It was hard to give up something that defined who I was for so long. I did the Continuity also because it’s free insurance but the more time I spend fishing with buddies on my recreational boat, the more I realize I ain’t ever going back to work. I don’t care if we find fish or not, it’s just an excuse to be out on the water with no deadlines and no butthead office drones on the horizon.

$600 and only 4 days. That’s a great tip, thanx.
Anybody know of any similar “better than normal” deals on ECDIS?

[QUOTE=Hawespiper5;188055]$600 and only 4 days. That’s a great tip, thanx.
Anybody know of any similar “better than normal” deals on ECDIS?[/QUOTE]

ECDIS at Delgado was at $850 last year; I see that they bumped it up to $900 now.

hi were is delgado ? contact imfo if possible please. I am in northern calif Cal Maratine $1350 what a rip.

[QUOTE=sailfish;188096]hi were is delgado ? contact imfo if possible please. I am in northern calif Cal Maratine $1350 what a rip.[/QUOTE]

http://www.dcc.edu/academics/workforce/maritime-fire/default.aspx

Boy did you hit the nail on the head. yea its going to be a four year degree in books and theory . Tell you what I would take may chances with you in the open ocean than a college kid any day. But we are going by the wayside.and the USCG is doing there best to put us on the beach.SO I have a question how can the american mariner have to pay so much for schools and everything else what about 3rd world or poor income countries get the same schooling for HOW MUCH HUMMM

Their classes are probably subsidized by their govts.

The govt subsidizes here via the GI Bill. The school close to me has guys fresh out of the military for most of their students and the school can pretty much name their prices and the govt pays. Well that’s all well and good but those of us who are already professional Mariners can’t afford that.

[QUOTE=sailfish;188101]Boy did you hit the nail on the head. yea its going to be a four year degree in books and theory . Tell you what I would take may chances with you in the open ocean than a college kid any day. But we are going by the wayside.and the USCG is doing there best to put us on the beach.SO I have a question how can the american mariner have to pay so much for schools and everything else what about 3rd world or poor income countries get the same schooling for HOW MUCH HUMMM[/QUOTE]

Don’t hesitate to ask the schools if they have any grant money available for tuition. It isn’t that uncommon, and the most they can say is “no.” Also, don’t forget tax credits" https://www.irs.gov/individuals/education-credits-aotc-llc. Every little bit helps.

Delgado is in New Orleans