Overtime vs Working Over

Question for all those who enjoy working over their amount of days scheduled, both offshore vessels/inland tugs.
How does your company deal with this? For example, they need someone to work over/overtime to fill in. What incentive (Time n a half/OT, travel pay, yearly bonus, gift card, pizza party) are you getting to come in to work extra or just getting your normal day rate.
To me, unless really hurting for cash or just don’t have anything else to do it is crazy to just accept the normal day rate taking the time to come back in while also sacrificing your off time. Anything over a normal hitch should be some portion if not all OT not “working over”

Some companies offer incentives to work on your time off, some don’t.

Don’t forget when “working over” there is:

1. The day rate for the added days aboard
  2. The vacation earned for the added days aboard
  3. No deduction or diminishing of the vacation (time) already earned but not being taken during the added days aboard
  4. Compensation for any increase in taxes

It starts to add up quick for the employer and also on the paycheck.

In key overseas jobs when they needed me - I definitely got this.

Even cash to pay the tax on the added cash to pay the tax on the added compensation.

Most of the deep sea companies you just continue to get paid.

3 Likes

Where I used to work working over was just regular day rate.

Where I work now we are paid hourly and anything over 40 hours in a week is time and a half.

When sailing foreign you usually sign articles for 6-9 months despite union dispatches being for a max of usually 120 days. The articles you sign before going foreign will statement about your wages.
My land family and friends have never understood why don’t get paid more despite getting stuck way past my relief date/ supposedly short union hitch.
Deepsea foreign will never probably get paid more for sailing over. However, I can see it happening in the Jones Act trade eventually.

Crowley was paying out cash bonuses to get people to stay past articles. I’m not sure if the articles were just the hitch length (120 days) or guys were getting stuck past 6 months and they were using the cash to get them from walking off

Wow that’s interesting was that on their new TSP tankers?
Crowley doesn’t manage any US Ocean Heavy lifts anymore right? think it’s all seabulk managed?

I think it’s Patriot, actually.

Nah, a couple of their government ships. The TSP contracts are pretty good so I don’t think they have a tough time crewing/finding reliefs on those ones.

1 1/2 times day rate plus travel

Back when I was sailing, the Harbor Tug company’s Crewing Coordinator had a lovely habit of waiting until Crew Change Night hours before folks are supposed to go home before asking people to work over, from what I heard there was few takers until they Instituted a 3 for 1 pay, Which is but isn’t as nice as you think since they broke out their “Day rate” into 12 hour chunks so it was really 1.5 for 1 days worked which as an Engineer/Mate/Captain the pay jump was worth but as an AB Deckhand or especially as an Oiler Deckhand was usually not worth just due to the pay usually not being worth the extra work and missed time off.

This could and probably has all changed since their huge contract increase though.

In my own personal case I much preferred to come in early for someone that needed to get off or had planned vacation versus just staying over, especially if there was a lot of boat hopping involved. Going to 5 different boats in the span of 7 days gets annoying.

OH- Also if you’re scheduled to be off for a Holiday but happen to be working over you get paid a double holiday which was also nice for paying off a toy here and there.

1 Like