Getting payed?

Hey guys so this my 2nd day as a deckhand. My schedule is 28/14 and I arrived 4 days late due to the company. Is this usual because technically on my first check it’s going to be short a couple of days. I’m not mad because at least I’m working but has this ever happened to anybody who for a company ? Apparently at my company this happens all the time

Marquette was it? What exactly was your question, or rather what kind of answer are you expecting. A day’s pay for a day’s work.

Perhaps you could give more details. My assumption is that they cover travel. If that is the case, at least you don’t have to pay for it. If you want those couple extra days pay, should this occur frequently, perhaps you may consider a costly relocation of your residence.

Regardless, congratulations on your first hitch. I wouldn’t think too much on it. Like you said, at least you’re working.

You’re in a new (to you) industry. You will have to learn to accept that ‘crew change’ is NEVER be exactly ‘on schedule’. EVER. You can fairly accurately predict that at the end of the year that you will ‘almost’ have worked the correct amount of days. As you gain more experience and endorsements you will be able to go after better schedules and better paying jobs. You are the newbie, in a new industry, with NO seniority. Put some days, weeks, hitches, months and years behind you. This will seem like a speed bump along the way. A couple of days here or there is nothing.

I hope you aren’t playing with your phone on watch new guy.

You should only be paid for the days you work. Sometimes you’ll get paid for travel days, full days, half days, full day on then no day off, but most common if you’re not on the boat, you wont get paid.

[QUOTE=cappy208;173043]You’re in a new (to you) industry. You will have to learn to accept that ‘crew change’ is NEVER be exactly ‘on schedule’. EVER. You can fairly accurately predict that at the end of the year that you will ‘almost’ have worked the correct amount of days. As you gain more experience and endorsements you will be able to go after better schedules and better paying jobs. You are the newbie, in a new industry, with NO seniority. Put some days, weeks, hitches, months and years behind you. This will seem like a speed bump along the way. A couple of days here or there is nothing.[/QUOTE]

Oh ok I see. I just always thought crew changes were going to be on time. Thanks for the info

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;173045]I hope you aren’t playing with your phone on watch new guy.[/QUOTE]

No sure never that, even though I see a couple of other people do it

[QUOTE=Mjordan22;173084]Oh ok I see. I just always thought crew changes were going to be on time. Thanks for the info

• Updated - - -[/QUOTE]

Crew Changes are sometimes a really pain in the Ass. One Company that I was with had a NO Alcohol for 24 hours prior to coming to work. I called the Vessel on Monday Morning (for a Wednesday Crew Change) and was told that they would NOT be changing crews until Thursday as they were sail for N.Y. Harbor. Now the Captain on the opposite crew Hated getting off even a Day Early and would always choose to work over instead of getting off a day early and losing that days pay.

So, I go out for the day and met my then GF for lunch and had a couple Adult Beverages. I stopped at my House around dinner time and dumb luck, the phone rang (1990 Not Very Many Cell Phones) and I answered it. It was the AB asking if he could catch a ride with me. I told him to call back on Wednesday. He then said but we are crew changing tomorrow, Tuesday. I told him that I would call him right back.

I called our Port Captain and asked how they wanted me to handle this as I had several before mentioned Adult Beverages. He started shit with me and I told him to stop and explained what I had done and what I was told by the Captain. He kind of got an attitude with me and said that I better not be drunk when I got there. This made me see red but I bit my tongue and said well, it’s been 4 hours and I have a 7 hour drive so I am pretty sure that I will be fine

The next day when I got onboard I got my Captain, the other Captain and my relief Chief aside and told him (other Captain) that if they EVER did this again I would be meeting the boat that the next port. This pissed off my relief as he refused to work over for me. My Captain, who normally would not have stood up to the other Captain, agreed with me and said that he would do the same thing.

All of this was because of the Greed of the Captain and his not wanting to lose that 1 days pay, even though it works out at the end of the year.

The reason for writing all of this is to show that 1- No Crew Change is set in stone 2- All the Company cares about is keeping the correct number of warm bodies onboard and 3- Make NO Plans for 2-3 days before your oncoming Crew Change Date and also NEVER make important plans for at least 3 days AFTER the day for the day that your should be getting off.

Good Luck and as others have said Keep your Eyes and Ears OPEN and your Mouth Shut and you should do fine.

[QUOTE=Tugs;173087]Crew Changes are sometimes a really pain in the Ass. One Company that I was with had a NO Alcohol for 24 hours prior to coming to work. I called the Vessel on Monday Morning (for a Wednesday Crew Change) and was told that they would NOT be changing crews until Thursday as they were sail for N.Y. Harbor. Now the Captain on the opposite crew Hated getting off even a Day Early and would always choose to work over instead of getting off a day early and losing that days pay.

So, I go out for the day and met my then GF for lunch and had a couple Adult Beverages. I stopped at my House around dinner time and dumb luck, the phone rang (1990 Not Very Many Cell Phones) and I answered it. It was the AB asking if he could catch a ride with me. I told him to call back on Wednesday. He then said but we are crew changing tomorrow, Tuesday. I told him that I would call him right back.

I called our Port Captain and asked how they wanted me to handle this as I had several before mentioned Adult Beverages. He started shit with me and I told him to stop and explained what I had done and what I was told by the Captain. He kind of got an attitude with me and said that I better not be drunk when I got there. This made me see red but I bit my tongue and said well, it’s been 4 hours and I have a 7 hour drive so I am pretty sure that I will be fine

The next day when I got onboard I got my Captain, the other Captain and my relief Chief aside and told him (other Captain) that if they EVER did this again I would be meeting the boat that the next port. This pissed off my relief as he refused to work over for me. My Captain, who normally would not have stood up to the other Captain, agreed with me and said that he would do the same thing.

All of this was because of the Greed of the Captain and his not wanting to lose that 1 days pay, even though it works out at the end of the year.

The reason for writing all of this is to show that 1- No Crew Change is set in stone 2- All the Company cares about is keeping the correct number of warm bodies onboard and 3- Make NO Plans for 2-3 days before your oncoming Crew Change Date and also NEVER make important plans for at least 3 days AFTER the day for the day that your should be getting off.

Good Luck and as others have said Keep your Eyes and Ears OPEN and your Mouth Shut and you should do fine.[/QUOTE]

Wow that’s some bs. Hopefully in the near future I won’t have to deal with that but if it does I’ll just suck it up. But yea for the most part I’ve been holding my tounge and just listening so I can get my experience. Apparently I got lucky because the boat I’m on has good people on it.

Crew changes are NEVER set in stone unless you work at small companies that have short runs. The difference between the examples you are getting comments on here are indicative of the differences between high quality companies and (um, how should I say it…). Cheap low budget non Union outfits. The top end companies can afford to be picky and choosy about who they hire (experienced versus newbies (like you))

The only time you could set your calendar with my c/o dates were when I worked on container ships. Every 9 weeks like clockwork on a Monday. Every other ship it’s always up in the air. Especially on tankers. Plan a day or two on either side of the date. They only time I got paid would be if the company flew me out and I had to wait while it was delayed. But never while I wait at home

Jesus Christ I hope It isn’t the same guy I work with now. Sounds similar.

Hell my last crew change was almost 2 weeks late. It happens.

Just don’t be the guy also bitching about having to work over a few days even though you got to work a few days late.

Another time we had the Choice of getting of a couple days (4 IIRC) early or making a trip to Canada and Back. One Guy was the hold out on getting off so we made the trip. We got into Canada a couple of days after our regular CC date and guess who started to bitch about having to work over! We ended up doing just over 4 weeks and this was on a 21 and 21 boat.

[QUOTE=Jemplayer;173112]Hell my last crew change was almost 2 weeks late. It happens.

Just don’t be the guy also bitching about having to work over a few days even though you got to work a few days late.[/QUOTE]

No sir no bitching over here. If they do ask me to trip i will definitely do it :smiley:

Ill end up working at least a week over this hitch we just got a tow that will take a little over 2 weeks and it’s to early in the hitch to crew change and the other guys worked a few days late anyway. It’s just how it goes sometimes, I’ll take the extra pay.

[QUOTE=Tugs;173087]Crew Changes are sometimes a really pain in the Ass. One Company that I was with had a NO Alcohol for 24 hours prior to coming to work. I called the Vessel on Monday Morning (for a Wednesday Crew Change) and was told that they would NOT be changing crews until Thursday as they were sail for N.Y. Harbor. Now the Captain on the opposite crew Hated getting off even a Day Early and would always choose to work over instead of getting off a day early and losing that days pay.

Good Luck and as others have said Keep your Eyes and Ears OPEN and your Mouth Shut and you should do fine.[/QUOTE]

Well, THAT is a bullshit rule. . . . glad I never had to deal with THAT one . . . although I DID fire a new relief when he showed up so drunk he tried to light a cigarette on the barge while discharging gasoline in Charleston. . . . I mean, please. . .

[QUOTE=cappy208;173043]You’re in a new (to you) industry. You will have to learn to accept that ‘crew change’ is NEVER be exactly ‘on schedule’. EVER. You can fairly accurately predict that at the end of the year that you will ‘almost’ have worked the correct amount of days. As you gain more experience and endorsements you will be able to go after better schedules and better paying jobs. You are the newbie, in a new industry, with NO seniority. Put some days, weeks, hitches, months and years behind you. This will seem like a speed bump along the way. A couple of days here or there is nothing.[/QUOTE]

Regarding crew changes, I don’t know if I ever had one “on time”. Started sailing out of the Union hall and as an applicant, I tried to stay on board as long as I could. I milked one two week relief into 90 days plus. . . later, with Crowley, we were supposed to work three trips one (nine weeks) with two trips off. Never go the full 6 weeks the entire time I sailed for them and did make a couple of 12 week working hitches. At least we were back in Lake Charles every three weeks with a couple of days at the dock (signed off but engineers had to work days for less than sailing wages).

Others were a bit better, but if you are the better of two on an even time trade, you will find that you will be asked to stay on a bit longer and then get off a bit later. . . at least that was my experience. The worst system I ever had to deal with was Belcher. The entire crew changed at the same time, except anyone whose relief quit. . . then you would stay on until a relief got there. The bad part was that you had to come back with your regular crew. . . so time off could be pretty short if they couldn’t get you a relief quickly. Compounding things was that you got paid every day whether you were onboard or not, so no extra pay for extra time, until the end of the year. . . since I didn’t finish off the year, I lost getting paid those extra days. . . .