OSV License Question?

I currently hold a 2nd A/E Unlimited motors/steam, Chief Limited Near Coastal, Chief OSV 3000 GT and DDE Unlimited. I’m looking to get a Chief OSV 6000 ton endorsement but can’t quite figure out the requirements or whether or not I’m already qualified. Can anybody help with an explanation? I’ve heard mention of an assessment book…does this exist and is it required? Should I just wait a few more months until when I upgrade to 1st A/E Unlimited and Chief Limited Oceans? Nobody at my company office seems to know and the NMC is never too helpful with these kinds of questions. Thanks for any help.

Unless things have changed you won’t be getting many answers from NMC about this 6000t license. This is an industry restricted license which is obtained by working on one of the 6000t OSVs. You have to get a job on one of these vessels and then get your assessments signed off. It’s an in house program.
IMNSHO you’d be better served by getting your 1 AE and putting your efforts into getting the 1 AE time in to qualify for your chief upgrade. Considering the employment situation I’d imagine you’d be finished with this before you’re hired and assessed on a 6000t supply boat. A chief unltd will cover the licensing requirements on any 6000t OSV, plus.

The only way to get the “Large OSV” authority for OSVs between 3000 and 6000 GT ITC is to complete a Coast Guard approved “Large OSV” training program. It’s not a course, and it’s more than assessments. You have to work for the compaqny that has the program, have prerequiste experience as chief engineer (or master) on OSVs under 3000 GT ITC, and be placed on a large OSV as a trainee. If your company isn’t aware of this, they probably don’t have an approved program.

I know this is rather old thread… But it’s pretty sad a man holding a 2nd assistant with a Chief near coastal limited needs to complete an assessment for a 6000 itc. Which odds are will be done by a DDE unlimited. Anyone with a Chief limited or up should be given the large osv since those license are 1600/3000 ITC with that being an individual already held a Chief OSV 3000 ITC. The test need for those license are for more superior than having an RFPEW assessment done on a large OSV. Which is all the large OSV programs are. You think there’s much difference between a 2998 ITC vs 3699 itc on the engineering side?? Besides the obvious 701 tons.

Whats the difference between a 1599 ton vessel and a 1601 ton vessel period between the obvious two tons? They have to draw a line somewhere. Your assessments would be done by a chief osv/6000

I was simply stating the process is a joke, much like I stated how he has taken test that would blow away any assessment needing to get the 6000 ITC. I can understand having a DDE 500 ton guy complete the large osv program since you give the 3000 ITC Chief if requested without any assessment. So why would you require a Chief limited 1600/3000 to complete an assessment for the large osv, shouldn’t you give it to him like you do the DDE with the 3000 ITC?? That’s all I am stating. 90% of the guys with the 6000 are DDE 4000/unlimited. I’m pretty sure a guy like him holding a 2nd assistant, chief limited near coastal, and DDE unlimited is far more than qualified for a 6000 Chief.
The assesment doesn’t need to be done on a vessel over 3000 either, just a chief with the 6000 ITC. So explain to me how that makes sense? Draw the line with the DDE guys requiring an assesment to get the 6000 ITC on a osv over 3000 ITC and give the 6000 ITC to the guys holding a Chief Limited Near Coastal/Oceans like they currently do the DDE guys with the 3000 ITC.

[QUOTE=power230;53833]I was simply stating the process is a joke, much like I stated how he has taken test that would blow away any assessment needing to get the 6000 ITC. I can understand having a DDE 500 ton guy complete the large osv program since you give the 3000 ITC Chief if requested without any assessment. So why would you require a Chief limited 1600/3000 to complete an assessment for the large osv, shouldn’t you give it to him like you do the DDE with the 3000 ITC?? That’s all I am stating. 90% of the guys with the 6000 are DDE 4000/unlimited. I’m pretty sure a guy like him holding a 2nd assistant, chief limited near coastal, and DDE unlimited is far more than qualified for a 6000 Chief.
The assesment doesn’t need to be done on a vessel over 3000 either, just a chief with the 6000 ITC. So explain to me how that makes sense? Draw the line with the DDE guys requiring an assesment to get the 6000 ITC on a osv over 3000 ITC and give the 6000 ITC to the guys holding a Chief Limited Near Coastal/Oceans like they currently do the DDE guys with the 3000 ITC.[/QUOTE]

The only thing to remember is these are company programs approved by the Coast Guard. Meaning, you either do what the Coast Guard has approved for the company or not. The company only has the authority to facilitate mariners through their actual program. The Coast Guard has provided regulations that do not include a company program at all. You can either do one or the other, but if you want to do both, don’t bitch about it not making sense for you in particular. When the program was developed, they did not think of only you, or that situation. A 1600 ton Master with a Chief Mate will have to do a Large OSV to be Master on an large OSV minus the unlimited Master. Does that make sense. Not really, but was that possible situation the driving force behind the program? Not hardly. You have to have the certificate from the company for the endorsement. It’s a choice, not a mandate as far as getting that endorsement.

[QUOTE=anchorman;53844]The only thing to remember is these are company programs approved by the Coast Guard. Meaning, you either do what the Coast Guard has approved for the company or not. The company only has the authority to facilitate mariners through their actual program. The Coast Guard has provided regulations that do not include a company program at all. You can either do one or the other, but if you want to do both, don’t bitch about it not making sense for you in particular. When the program was developed, they did not think of only you, or that situation. A 1600 ton Master with a Chief Mate will have to do a Large OSV to be Master on an large OSV minus the unlimited Master. Does that make sense. Not really, but was that possible situation the driving force behind the program? Not hardly. You have to have the certificate from the company for the endorsement. It’s a choice, not a mandate as far as getting that endorsement.[/QUOTE]

I’m simply stating the facts. I don’t need them to only think of me, I move on past the supply boats and hold a 2nd Assistant with the Chief limited oceans. It’s no different than the proposed stcw 2010 rules. As the first set that came out with the cross over points. All the sudden when the new rules come out you can have a Chief OSV go to the Chief Engineer over 4000 hp (New chief unlimited) Chee I wonder if enough osv companies bitched to get that one in there. If it was for the STCW endorsement for OSV that’s one thing. But they don’t list a tonnage limitation as they do with the DDE to 500 tons. If that had it limited to 3000 or 6000 ITC I would say your correct on you reply I made in that thread.

[QUOTE=power230;53850]I’m simply stating the facts. I don’t need them to only think of me, I move on past the supply boats and hold a 2nd Assistant with the Chief limited oceans. It’s no different than the proposed stcw 2010 rules. As the first set that came out with the cross over points. All the sudden when the new rules come out you can have a Chief OSV go to the Chief Engineer over 4000 hp (New chief unlimited) Chee I wonder if enough osv companies bitched to get that one in there. If it was for the STCW endorsement for OSV that’s one thing. But they don’t list a tonnage limitation as they do with the DDE to 500 tons. If that had it limited to 3000 or 6000 ITC I would say your correct on you reply I made in that thread.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I’m not on supply vessels either. Been there done that, but I did use company sponsored programs along the way, and did not confuse their purpose. The new rules will give you the prospect of having Chief Engineer over 4000 hp as part on Management level STCW, but it will still be restricted to OSV’s. all the same. No special animal there.

[QUOTE=power230;53833]I was simply stating the process is a joke, much like I stated how he has taken test that would blow away any assessment needing to get the 6000 ITC. I can understand having a DDE 500 ton guy complete the large osv program since you give the 3000 ITC Chief if requested without any assessment. So why would you require a Chief limited 1600/3000 to complete an assessment for the large osv, shouldn’t you give it to him like you do the DDE with the 3000 ITC?? That’s all I am stating. 90% of the guys with the 6000 are DDE 4000/unlimited. I’m pretty sure a guy like him holding a 2nd assistant, chief limited near coastal, and DDE unlimited is far more than qualified for a 6000 Chief.
The assesment doesn’t need to be done on a vessel over 3000 either, just a chief with the 6000 ITC. So explain to me how that makes sense? Draw the line with the DDE guys requiring an assesment to get the 6000 ITC on a osv over 3000 ITC and give the 6000 ITC to the guys holding a Chief Limited Near Coastal/Oceans like they currently do the DDE guys with the 3000 ITC.[/QUOTE]

DDE 4000 cannot get 6000 ton ITC. DDE unlimited can crossover to Chief OSV with no test. Then they can get a 6000 ITC

I know of two people with a DDE 4000 that went from a Chief OSV 3000 ITC to Chief 6000 ITC without upgrading to a DDE unlimited and they both are restricted to 4000 HP.