Preferred Engineering License

So, I’ve been contemplating making the move to the Gulf. I currently hold a Chief Engineer N/C - Unlimited HP, with 1600/3000 limitation. Is my license sufficient to land a position at ECO, HOS, OC, Harvey, etc. on an osv or do these companies prefer the oceans endorsement? I need approximately 90 says more seatime to upgrade to oceans. However, I’m looking to make the jump sooner rather than later. Thanks in advance for all thoughts and opinions.

You’ve got te golden ticket my friend. That is more than enough to get you in the door somewhere.

I wasn’t sure because of the near coastal limitation. It’s an expensive trip down, so I wanted to have everything I need before I go. It seems like nobody answers the phone anymore so Gcaptain is my only information source. I’m going to make the rounds at the big dogs soon to see if I can make something happen.

Near coastal will get you a job. Get oceans when you can. Chief OSV (6000 itc) is becoming more necessary with all the big boats being built. Chief limited oceans is ideal too

The job is what I want for now, as long as I can do that I’ll be very happy. I need about 90 more days to get my Chief Oceans - Unlimited hp (1600/3,000). I figure that if I can get on with one of the big companies that have the in-house OSV training programs, I can do the upgrade to the OSV 6,000 license, and whatever else comes up down the road via the USCG and OMSA. My current license covers the realm of the OSV 3,000, so I’m not going to even bother with that unless it’s needed first in order to get the OSV 6,000 down the road, which I don’t believe is the case. Does the osv 6,000 cover you if the vessels go out of U.S. waters (i.e. Brazil, Mexico, etc.) I was wondering about that as well, how guys were able to work on large OSV’s outside of the Gulf, but I couldn’t ascertain this through the CFR’s.

The requirements for Chief OSV (6000 ITC) are to hold a Chief OSV (3000 ITC) and take an approved Large Vessel course, so you will need that Chief OSV (3000 ITC) eventually. As for domestic waters, mine says “Upon Domestic Near Coastal Waters” even though I have a Chief (Limited - Oceans), so maybe someone else can chime in on how these guys are able to sail foreign on an OSV license.

I found this, but it is rather old: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/19367476/USCG-Approved-OSV-Programs
It seems like the OSV 3,000, Chief - Near Coastal 1600/3,000, and Chief Oceans 1,600/3,000 will all cross to OSV 6,000 as long as the particular required assessments of the USCG approved company training programs are met. As far as I can tell, this will allow you to go domestic and international on larger tonnage OSV’s as long as those assessments and the sea service requirements are met.

I signed a guy off who only held a chief limited oceans with no OSV endorsement. He sent in his packet and they gave him the 6000 itc OSV stickers for his book. Our program is 30 days for the near coastal and 90 days as observer to get the oceans.

So my unlimited chiefs ticket would be good? Or is there a separate OSV ticket needed as well?

An unlimited tonnage and horsepower chief motor license is good for any mud boat built. Come on man you know that!

Fuck an A I knew it. Thanks for confirming. I got into a discussion with a buddy about it and said “unlimited is unlimited” he thought you needed OSV endorsements. I started second guessing after we were arguing about it.

[QUOTE=brjones;117158]Fuck an A I knew it. Thanks for confirming. I got into a discussion with a buddy about it and said “unlimited is unlimited” he thought you needed OSV endorsements. I started second guessing after we were arguing about it.[/QUOTE]

brjones, then you will run into the same problem I had. The HR people will look at your unlimited chief license and say, I don’t think this is any good because it doesn’t say limited oceans on it. I just giggle and shake my head.

For the guys to sail with their 6000 ITC foreign the license must be recognized or approved by the flag state where the vessel will be working. It is just an endorsement on the 1600 ton so it must be approved by them. If it was a license like a 1600 ton or Unlimited I don't believe it would be a problem.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;117161]brjones, then you will run into the same problem I had. The HR people will look at your unlimited chief license and say, I don’t think this is any good because it doesn’t say limited oceans on it. I just giggle and shake my head.[/QUOTE]

After I retired, an old friend was trying to recruit me to his company for a scalp fee. I declined. He told me a month later that the HR girl told him I wasn’t qualified because I didn’t have oceans.