Chief Eng. Unlimited to Chief Limited near coastal

I’m very new to this Coast Guard licences and have a question for you all.I have a Chief Engineer Unlimited (OSV) ticket but my new employer is requiring me to have Chief Limited 2000Hp near coastal ticket. I have applied for the licence and coast guard has approved it but they say i need to test for it. 4 test in all. So my question is two fold, is my current licence higher than what they want? and if not, why? Looks like there are more requirements for my OSV Unlimited ticket. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you all

The OSV ticket is trade restricted to OSVs. You have no tonnage or HP limitation but its only valid on OSVs.

Chief limited (i am under the impression there is no longer a route limitation) is an oceans license and good less than 1600 grt with no trade limitations.

Your current license is not higher, it’s limited to OSVs. Also, it is not "Chief Unlimited (OSV), it’s Chief Engineer (OSV). When exams are required they are usually required every time, unless you are applying for more than one license at the same time. If the license is listed in 46 CFR 11.903(a), an exam is required no matter what you already hold.

Ctony is right, the licenses of Chief Engineer (Limited-Oceans) and Chief Engineer Limited-Near Coastal) were combined into a single license of Chief Engineer (Limited) valid on all waters on vessels less than 1,600 GRT (no tonnage limit for inland).

Unless you are working on vessels under 200 GRT on near-coastal domestic voyages inside the boundary line, you probably need an STCW endorsement, If you have one now, and it’s limited to OSVs, it won’t be valid on any vessel that ism’t inspected as an OSV.

1 Like

Thank you guys, i just re-looked at my licence and yes it doesn’t say (unlimited) i was assuming because every other endorsement has a Hp rating. My bad i am very new at this rating stuff. Thanks again, guess ill start studying