OSV License Question?

I currently hold a 2nd A/E Unlimited motors/steam, Chief Limited Near Coastal, Chief OSV 3000 GT and DDE Unlimited. I’m looking to get a Chief OSV 6000 ton endorsement but can’t quite figure out the requirements or whether or not I’m already qualified. Can anybody help with an explanation? I’ve heard mention of an assessment book…does this exist and is it required? Should I just wait a few more months until when I upgrade to 1st A/E Unlimited and Chief Limited Oceans? Nobody at my company office seems to know and the NMC is never too helpful with these kinds of questions. Thanks for any help.

If you’re gonna upgrade soon anyway, why not just wait and ask for it on your application.
I think you’re already qualified but the NMC would let you know what you might lack.

[QUOTE=bodore16;45842]I currently hold a 2nd A/E Unlimited motors/steam, Chief Limited Near Coastal, Chief OSV 3000 GT and DDE Unlimited. I’m looking to get a Chief OSV 6000 ton endorsement but can’t quite figure out the requirements or whether or not I’m already qualified. Can anybody help with an explanation? I’ve heard mention of an assessment book…does this exist and is it required? Should I just wait a few more months until when I upgrade to 1st A/E Unlimited and Chief Limited Oceans? Nobody at my company office seems to know and the NMC is never too helpful with these kinds of questions. Thanks for any help. [/QUOTE]

It must be approved program with an approved assessor approved by an approved company. Unless you are with a company that has the program, you can’t get it.

It is another way for companies to not pony up and pay for the big license.

If you’re gonna upgrade soon anyway, why not just wait and ask for it on your application.
I think you’re already qualified but the NMC would let you know what you might lack.