Oicnw assessment 2-3i

Has anyone run into this new assessment yet? This one states in the performance conditions that it must take place in a full-mission ship simulator during an exercise at sea…

Called NMC and they refused to answer specific questions regarding this or any policies, offered to have someone call me back. Still waiting.

Called around the schools and got no answers from them either, just more questions.

They also added three other assessments, RADAR 3-1L, ARPA 3-2N and WATCHKEEPING (risk of collision) 2-1G. How are you dealing with these?

Post a copy if each if you will.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/announcements/CG-543%20Policy%20Letter%2011-07.pdf

Sorry I couldn’t post individual pages, scroll.

TABLE A-II/1 Specification of Minimum Standard of Competence
OFFICER IN CHARGE OF A NAVIGATIONAL WATCH
Candidate Candidate’s Mariner Reference No.
Assessor Position
Vessel or School Assessor’s Mariner
Reference No.
Date
ASSESSMENT NO. OICNW-2-3I
FUNCTION: Navigation at the Operational Level
COMPETENCE: Maintain a safe navigational watch
KNOWLEDGE, UNDERSTANDING & PROFICIENCY: Watchkeeping – Thorough knowledge
of effective bridge teamwork procedures
TASK: BRM Condition II or III – Prioritization
PERFORMANCE CONDITION: On a full-mission ship simulator during an exercise at sea, and
with a bridge team in place, while navigating in congested near- coastal waters in good
visibility, and assigned duties as an officer in a bridge team, and given the following:

1. a vessel on own ship’s starboard bow changes course and creates a risk of collision;
  2. there is insufficient water depth for own ship to turn to starboard;
  3. the diesel engines are using heavy fuel;
  4. a vessel ahead is on a reciprocal course 1.5 nm away with a CPA of 0.5 nm on the
    port side; and
  5. the GMDSS distress alarm sounds.
    PERFORMANCE BEHAVIOR: Determine the appropriate action to take…
    PERFORMANCE STANDARD:
    The candidate:
  6. assesses the situation;
  7. determines in which priority action must be taken for the safety of the vessel;
  8. recommends that the engines be slowed or stopped in sufficient time to avoid the
    collision with the vessel on the starboard bow; and
  9. after the danger of collision is over, acknowledges the distress call.

Assessor Position
Reference No.
Date
ASSESSMENT NO. OICNW-3-1L
COMPETENCE: Use of radar and ARPA to maintain the safety of navigation
KNOWLEDGE, UNDERSTANDING & PROFICIENCY: Radar Navigation – parallel indexing
TASK: Determine DRM, SRM, CPA and TCPA
PERFORMANCE CONDITION: On an operational radar or radar simulator that meets the
standards of 33 CFR 164.38 and other applicable national and international performance
standards, set on the 12-mile scale, in the true motion mode, using any graphically correct
method.
PERFORMANCE BEHAVIOR: Determine the DRM, SRM, CPA and TCPA of three target
vessels.
PERFORMANCE STANDARD:
The candidate:

1. constructs a relative motion triangle on either a reflection plotter, a maneuvering board
    or a transfer plotting sheet;
  2. obtains a DRM solution within 8 minutes and within ± 5° of the assessor’s solution;
  3. obtains a SRM solution within 8 minutes of initial range and within ± 2 knots of the
    assessor’s solution;
  4. obtains a CPA solution within 7 minutes and within ± 0.5 nm of the assessor’s solution;
    and
  5. obtains a TCPA solution within 8 minutes and within ± 3 minutes of the assessor’s
    solution

Assessor Position
Reference No.
Date
ASSESSMENT NO. OICNW-3-2N
COMPETENCE: Use of radar and ARPA to maintain the safety of navigation
KNOWLEDGE, UNDERSTANDING & PROFICIENCY: Principal types of ARPA, their display
characteristics, performance standards and the dangers of over-reliance on ARPA
Ability to operate and to interpret and analyze information obtained from ARPA, including:
deriving and analyzing information, critical echoes, exclusion areas and trail maneuvers
TASK: Determine range and bearing
PERFORMANCE CONDITION: On an operational ARPA that meet the standards of 33 CFR
164.38 (or an ARPA simulator that meets applicable national and international performance
standards for ARPA), with the ARPA on the 12 mile scale.
PERFORMANCE BEHAVIOR: Determine the range and bearing to an object.
PERFORMANCE STANDARD:
The candidate:

1. determines the range and bearing to an object selected by the assessor within 30
    seconds by positioning the VRM on the edge of the object which is closest to the vessel
    and positioning the EBL through the object;
  2. obtains a range within ± 0.1 nm of the assessor’s solution or ± 1% of the range scale in
    use; and
  3. obtains a bearing within ± 1° of the assessor’s solution.

Assessor Position
Reference No.
Date
ASSESSMENT NO. OICNW-2-1G
COMPETENCE: Maintain a safe navigational watch
KNOWLEDGE, UNDERSTANDING & PROFICIENCY: Watchkeeping – Thorough knowledge
of the content, application and intent of the International Regulations for Preventing
Collisions at Sea
TASK: Maneuver to avoid risk of collision – crossing
PERFORMANCE CONDITION: On a ship underway, a full mission ship simulator, or using
approved laboratory equipment, when risk of collision with an approaching crossing vessel
(from the candidate’s starboard side at a relative bearing of between 30 degrees and 112.5
degrees) exists in good visibility in the open ocean.
PERFORMANCE BEHAVIOR: Apply the rules of the road correctly and maneuver the vessel
to avoid the collision, if required.
PERFORMANCE STANDARD:

1. The aspect of the approaching vessel was determined;
  2. The situation was identified as a crossing situation;
  3. Positive action in ample time was taken in accordance with the steering and sailing rules
    to achieve a CPA of at least 3 nm; and
  4. Speed or course changes were made that were large enough to be readily apparent to
    another vessel observing visually or by radar.

They can add these exercise to the class simulators and run them in Arpa Class

Yep. Easy to add to a class.

What happens when you’ve already cleared those courses? Do I now need to take BRM over again? ARPA and RADAR over again? Will the course approval include the new assessments? Will they count retroactively? WTH

Only 2-3i requires it to be done in a simulator, the others can be done at sea. Correct? In fact it looks to me like 2-3i could be missprinted and should say: On a full-mission ship simulator “OR” during an exercise at sea. How can an at sea skill not be assesed at sea?
Any takers?

When it’s assessed in a simulator??? Just puttin it out there!?! :smiley: I say submit it and let the coast guard decide! Maybe they will over look it!

[QUOTE=Towboy;56892]When it’s assessed in a simulator??? Just puttin it out there!?! :smiley: I say submit it and let the coast guard decide! Maybe they will over look it![/QUOTE]

But the ways it’s written it’s assesed ONLY in a simulator, doesn’t seem correct to me. Maybe soon it’ll be simulator only for all assessments? Technology seems to trump everthing, just like the ECDIS that was “cool to have” will soon be “required to have”. One day there will be drone ships controled from ashore or maybe our robot surrogates will be on the ships while we humans stay at home. (No, I’m not drunk, high nor crazy. Just a little bored.)

I hope it’s a typo, but after dealing with the USCG all these years that’s only a slim hope.

Reading the specifics of the conditions required for the assessment it appears like there would be no way to do that on an actual ship.

Hey zcaptain,
I can only speak for the school I teach for, but we have changed our existing courses to reflect the 4 “gap closing assessments”, so any one that takes ARPA, BRM or RADAR will get these assessments. We are also helping mariners close the gap by only offering those “gap closers” on an as needed basis.
You might want to reach out to the school you took your original classes with.