Oicnw 2-3i

Hello all,

I am currently working on completing the OICNW assessment sheets on board the vessel that I work on. In the past couple of years I have completed the minimum required courses required for OICNW; radar, ARPA, GMDSS, med pic, and BRM. But I am running into a hurdle with the competencies for Gyro Compass as the vessel I am working on is not equipped with one, but am most likely planning on taking a course for these. I am also struggling with 2-3I as it says that it must be completed in a “full mission simulator”

Does anyone have any guidance on completing 2-3l? The simulator requirement isn’t a typo is it? Or does anyone know of a school that will allow me to take this one assessment without having to retake BRM?

Did the BRM class you took not sign the assessments for you? I’ve never had to bother with those assessments because the person I was assessing was going to get them done via class.

Others have done that on board, and submitted it along with the other assessments, and it was accepted with no problems.

[QUOTE=Juicy;177774]Hello all,

I am currently working on completing the OICNW assessment sheets on board the vessel that I work on. In the past couple of years I have completed the minimum required courses required for OICNW; radar, ARPA, GMDSS, med pic, and BRM. But I am running into a hurdle with the competencies for Gyro Compass as the vessel I am working on is not equipped with one, but am most likely planning on taking a course for these. I am also struggling with 2-3I as it says that it must be completed in a “full mission simulator”

Does anyone have any guidance on completing 2-3l? The simulator requirement isn’t a typo is it? Or does anyone know of a school that will allow me to take this one assessment without having to retake BRM?[/QUOTE]

It’s not a typo. You can also use one of the assessments from NVIC 12-14 that does not require a simulator. See Enclosure 4.

There are schools approved to do assessments without having to take a course. Search for "OICNW Assessments."

You are apparently using the old assessments from either NMC Policy Letter 1-02 or CVC Policy Letter 11-07. You can only use the old assessments until December 31, 2016. If you are using the old assessments, you need to get them done and apply before 12/31/2016 (you will also need more courses if you apply after that date).

Although the new assessment doesn’t have to be done on a simulator, it’s not likely that the specific conditions descrbed in the assessment (that the assessor is attesting to) will happen with any frequency or predictability.

Mid-Atlantic Maritime Academy in Norfolk, VA is approved to do OICNW assessments. They should be able to help you out. www.mamatrains.com

Any update on this? Did you end up in a simulator or were you able to create the scenario on board? If so, what was the outcome? I’m in the same boat, almost all my assessments were done on board but this one is holding me up before I send everything in.