NYC Work Status

What is the current employment situation in NYC?

What’s happened with the union(s)?

They are still there. Kirby still had two unions, but they are looking for people. $$ not at GOM yet, but still a good living.

Blah blah delete my post, not going 333 bashing today!

[QUOTE=seadonkey;127236]They are still there. Kirby still had two unions, but they are looking for people. $$ not at GOM yet, but still a good living.[/QUOTE]

Working for Kirby, wherever, is like working in the Gulf. Same mindset. That’s another company that has gone completely overboard on the physicals.

[QUOTE=seadonkey;127236]They are still there. Kirby still had two unions, but they are looking for people. $$ not at GOM yet, but still a good living.[/QUOTE]

Are they looking for people? When they dumped a bunch of their harbor stuff on Vane back in July I was given to understand that none of the crews went with the equipment. I would have thought that they’d have an overabundance of crews and a shortage of equipment. I may have understood it wrong at the time, and that was several months ago so I may also be a bit hazy on the details but I am surprised to hear that they would be looking for anyone right now.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=z-drive;127237]Blah blah delete my post, not going 333 bashing today![/QUOTE]

There’s never a bad day for that! But I can certainly understand your exhaustion in that activity…

I spoke to them after the sale in late summer. And have a couple friends that’s are with them. From what I have heard they still looking for people. Vane is building two more vessels, and they have a growing foot print in NYC. It took them longer then they thought to crew the equipment they got from Kirby. From my understanding, it is relatively slow up there compared to the tug traffic in the south.

Every Kirby unit I talk to seems miserable. I’d steer clear, lot of grouches. One was arguing about a coffee maker the other day. Plus the mate deals with way more cargo BS than they should.

And it sounds like a lot of Bouchard equipment is back working 28/14. They were getting closer to equal time for a while.

[QUOTE=z-drive;127254]Every Kirby unit I talk to seems miserable. I’d steer clear, lot of grouches. One was arguing about a coffee maker the other day. Plus the mate deals with way more cargo BS than they should.

And it sounds like a lot of Bouchard equipment is back working 28/14. They were getting closer to equal time for a while.[/QUOTE]

Amen, brother.

Is Vane Bros hiring mates??

With NY experience they are. Tom called me the other day, their rates are way behind.

[QUOTE=Tugted;127307]With NY experience they are. Tom called me the other day, their rates are way behind.[/QUOTE]

Depends on your rep/exp I’ve heard, at least on the rates.

No NY experience here. Its a catch 22 you cant get it unless you have it. VB might be lagging in pay but I bet its better than where im at now.

How far? That bad?

Vane emailed me about a month ago asking if I was still interested, seems like they are having a hard time finding help. For the hell of it one day I called Kirby NYC to see how things looked, she wouldnt quote me a day rate, but after a few minutes she was telling me how “wonderful” the west coast operation was and how they needed chiefs/bargeman there. Something smelled fishy.

I wanna talk to someone at Moran, or find out the details of how the contract played out, I hear Peter is looking for engineers and just wondering, I feel a change of scenery coming.

[QUOTE=BargeMonkey;127616]Vane emailed me about a month ago asking if I was still interested, seems like they are having a hard time finding help. For the hell of it one day I called Kirby NYC to see how things looked, she wouldnt quote me a day rate, but after a few minutes she was telling me how “wonderful” the west coast operation was and how they needed chiefs/bargeman there. Something smelled fishy.

I wanna talk to someone at Moran, or find out the details of how the contract played out, I hear Peter is looking for engineers and just wondering, I feel a change of scenery coming.[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha is the mob about to murder your whole family over a debt that you owe them? No? Good! Then you have no reason to work for Kirby! Glad you caught the drift on the first phone call and didn’t have to make it all the way to a boat. The winds of change are beginning to whisp around the halls of K.O.M. but they haven’t blown up into a gale yet. Until that happens I would wait until you owe someone with a lot of guns an obscene amount of money, and then I would go to work for K.O.M.

Thats some funny shit right there, I dont care what you say. Their boats are still moving so someone’s working there, but Ive heard and seen to much to really wanna jump onboard @ KOM. If Vane would bring the pay up, I would really think about it, problem is I didnt break my ass and pay my way, to take a chiefs job at less pay than tankerman wages here, with medical 2x the cost.

[QUOTE=BargeMonkey;127620]Thats some funny shit right there, I dont care what you say. Their boats are still moving so someone’s working there, but Ive heard and seen to much to really wanna jump onboard @ KOM. If Vane would bring the pay up, I would really think about it, problem is I didnt break my ass and pay my way, to take a chiefs job at less pay than tankerman wages here, with medical 2x the cost.[/QUOTE]

I hear that. We wouldn’t be in this business if we didn’t love our jobs, there’s too much B.S. involved to do it if you don’t actually enjoy it for what it is. HOWEVER, at the end of the day, it’s all about paying the bills. I’d rather sail beautiful old wooden sailing ships, like the one in my picture, around all day but that would cost me a hell of a lot more money than I would make so that’ll just have to wait for my retirement. In the meantime it’s all work boats and petroleum products.

Daddy’s gotta bring home the bacon, and lot’s of it at that.

Vane just confuses me. Low pay, wire newbuilds, blah blah. Maybe I should call for fun and see what they tell me. Maybe ill be too experienced? Not experienced enough? Don’t you secretly agree to not hire pilots and assist boats too? Love seeing their shit no ballast barges WEATHER-BOUND half the time while everyone else is making $$$$. Wonder what they’re paying mates? Could ask a friend but that would be too easy.

[QUOTE=z-drive;127633]Vane just confuses me. Low pay, wire newbuilds, blah blah. Maybe I should call for fun and see what they tell me. Maybe ill be too experienced? Not experienced enough? Don’t you secretly agree to not hire pilots and assist boats too? Love seeing their shit no ballast barges WEATHER-BOUND half the time while everyone else is making $$$$. Wonder what they’re paying mates? Could ask a friend but that would be too easy.[/QUOTE]

They might be a silly bunch but there’s no denying they’re the new power in NYH, Philadelphia too for that matter, and their homeport of Baltimore of course. They’ve staked out quite a little territory for themselves. We can all hope that now that they’re a force to be reckoned with they’ll come in line with the rest of the tug fleet (better pay, paid travel, better benefits, more pin-units) but I doubt that will be the case.

[QUOTE=z-drive;127633]Vane just confuses me. Low pay, wire newbuilds, blah blah. Maybe I should call for fun and see what they tell me. Maybe ill be too experienced? Not experienced enough? Don’t you secretly agree to not hire pilots and assist boats too? Love seeing their shit no ballast barges WEATHER-BOUND half the time while everyone else is making $$$$. Wonder what they’re paying mates? Could ask a friend but that would be too easy.[/QUOTE]

Or going in and out of IMTT Bayonne or “A” Hess Bayonne at any stage of the current, usually on the hop of it…I just shake my head.