NOAA jobs

Update: the current scuttlebutt has it that they will begin contacting candidates next Monday, Feb. 18th.

They have posted some more jobs on USAJOBS including Jr. Eng which I also applied for. There are other positions including hydrographic survey techs. Soon to be college grads may want to have a look at that.

www.usajobs.gov and search NOAA

Good luck and best wishes to all!

[QUOTE=catherder;98577]Update: the current scuttlebutt has it that they will begin contacting candidates next Monday, Feb. 18th.

They have posted some more jobs on USAJOBS including Jr. Eng which I also applied for. There are other positions including hydrographic survey techs. Soon to be college grads may want to have a look at that.

www.usajobs.gov and search NOAA

Good luck and best wishes to all![/QUOTE]

I guess we’re all waiting to hear from NOAA. Hopefully we all get some good news. I know I’m kind of hungry for a job now. 2 months of unemployment is beginning to suck.

DAMMIT the suspense is killing me. Watch them not hire anyone with this sequestration crap! F-ing Congress is useless! Ships stacked everywhere. :frowning:

My friend just got hired by NOAA yesterday as an engineer on the R/V Endeavor, so good luck to everyone.

That’s a national science foundation ship. Did he apply through the university that operates it, or on USAjobs? Curious.

Yeah I made a mistake, I called him after I wrote that and he told me it wasn’t for NOAA he was working for, it was for the university. I lost service before i could correct myself on here ( offshore signal sucks ) Even though he apply to NOAA but didn’t heard nothing from them. But he called the university up and then he went there, and filled an up front application and 2 weeks later he was hired.

[QUOTE=Captain_Ramon27;100168]Yeah I made a mistake, I called him after I wrote that and he told me it wasn’t for NOAA he was working for, it was for the university. I lost service before i could correct myself on here ( offshore signal sucks ) Even though he apply to NOAA but didn’t heard nothing from them. But he called the university up and then he went there, and filled an up front application and 2 weeks later he was hired.[/QUOTE]

Cool, no prob man, I appreciate the info!..hey, get this-I am still waiting for my apps to move beyond “reviewing applications” and I think this sequestration stuff is forcing a hiring standstill with NOAA. This sucks but it is what it is, and maybe this is the kick in the ass I need to get down to the GoM and door knock anyway. I ought not worry about it- hell, I was discharged from the USN in 1982 with a buyout because the cold war ended and the military had to shrink quickly. Been there, done that, got the T shirt. :cool:

Anytime man, and yeah it’s a hard Time out to find work. If you go door knocking down there in the gulf I’m sure you find something, and if not you could always try door knocking in New York. The oil business is booming because of the cold weather so some companies has to be hiring. I haven’t had a break since The winter started on the tugs up here bunkering ships and taking oil to Albany, Stamford, Rhode Island, ect. Good luck and hope you find something.

Got a nibble…email exchange with NOAA may bear fruit! Will post up if anything substantial. Jr. Eng position.

I’ve worked for NOAA for about 12 years. I started as a GVA (entry level deck) and now sail as a Third Mate, although I have a Second ticket. I’ve seen the world and had a lot of fun. There are a lot of pros and cons however. Don’t get discouraged if your not hired right away, there are always openings, in fact were dying for people. Its just the hiring process is so f-ed up, it takes forever, even when we see a guy we want and try to help the process along.

The sea days when I first started were around 265 and you still worked inport 5 days a week. Sea days are now around 170-210 depending on the ship and current budget climate in DC. Its a young mans world out there, because why would anyone be gone that long who had a family or some type of relationship? That being said, I’ve seen many guys 50+ getting hired on, mostly as more entry level stuff. Mostly guys starting over and trying something different. The pay sucks comapred to the rest of the industry and it wont get better. Upward mobility is not easy either, you have to fight like hell to get up and, it being a government job, most times its “Dead Mans Shoes” your filling. Turn over is highest at the low level positions. Government benefits with regards to NOAA are pretty good, Thrift Saving Plan (TSP) and Fed health care. Where I live you have all accsess to militarty bases, everything form MWR stuff to commecaries, exchanges, and gas stations. Yet to me, the upper management makes poor desisitons ALL the time, in fact I’m still waiting to see something done right, no joke. Thats why I’m headed out to the Gulf to try my luck and ticket in the patch.

You do this job for the love of the work and to not let down your buddy next to you, not the money. Once your in, you can easily move around if you find a better ship in the fleet. Good luck to all of you.

[QUOTE=808Mate;102301]I’ve worked for NOAA for about 12 years. I started as a GVA (entry level deck) and now sail as a Third Mate, although I have a Second ticket. I’ve seen the world and had a lot of fun. There are a lot of pros and cons however. Don’t get discouraged if your not hired right away, there are always openings, in fact were dying for people. Its just the hiring process is so f-ed up, it takes forever, even when we see a guy we want and try to help the process along.

The sea days when I first started were around 265 and you still worked inport 5 days a week. Sea days are now around 170-210 depending on the ship and current budget climate in DC. Its a young mans world out there, because why would anyone be gone that long who had a family or some type of relationship? That being said, I’ve seen many guys 50+ getting hired on, mostly as more entry level stuff. Mostly guys starting over and trying something different. The pay sucks comapred to the rest of the industry and it wont get better. Upward mobility is not easy either, you have to fight like hell to get up and, it being a government job, most times its “Dead Mans Shoes” your filling. Turn over is highest at the low level positions. Government benefits with regards to NOAA are pretty good, Thrift Saving Plan (TSP) and Fed health care. Where I live you have all accsess to militarty bases, everything form MWR stuff to commecaries, exchanges, and gas stations. Yet to me, the upper management makes poor desisitons ALL the time, in fact I’m still waiting to see something done right, no joke. Thats why I’m headed out to the Gulf to try my luck and ticket in the patch.

You do this job for the love of the work and to not let down your buddy next to you, not the money. Once your in, you can easily move around if you find a better ship in the fleet. Good luck to all of you.[/QUOTE]

You aren’t kidding about slow, I haven’t even been offered anything, just a “hey are you still interested” email from the hiring mgr, two weeks ago … and that’s it :frowning:

I applied to NOAA for the GVA back in October. It took me 3 days to gather every little tidbit of info USAJOBS needed to submit my app. Early January I got a reply,“Application Incomplete–Rejected”. S88t at that point I’d completely forgotten even what password I’d used. Obviously I neglected to dot an I or cross a t somewhere and an HR bureaucrat roundfiled me. I had a job offer at that point so didnt’ pursue…

Photo test…

*edit: it worked…

I’ve talked to the Portland office recently. Due to the budget issues (sequester, cliff, and other assorted crap) there is a system wide hiring freeze. They have open positions and some have even been posted, but none will be filled until the budget issues are resolved. Not sure if this applies to the other positions but I suspect this is the case.

[QUOTE=lymanlouis;103179]I’ve talked to the Portland office recently. Due to the budget issues (sequester, cliff, and other assorted crap) there is a system wide hiring freeze. They have open positions and some have even been posted, but none will be filled until the budget issues are resolved. Not sure if this applies to the other positions but I suspect this is the case.[/QUOTE]

I think so too even though the hiring manager here said otherwise. I was just aboard one of the newer ships doing a survey for a quotation and the C/E said the hiring process is slow even in good years, but eventually you get a call. So cast a wide net and hope for the best.

They must read the forums here. I got a tentative offer in my email inbox this evening! This is weird, no interview, just a couple of back and forth emails. Junior engineer, Mixed tour.

Now the physical and so forth.

Happy day! :slight_smile:

email tag…normal? This must be a busy time of year for the HR people.

When did you take these?

I appied for a position as fisherman and they got right back to me. I spoke with several people at NOAA to get some idea how things work and I’m considering going with them. I have a 1600 ton masters license but I’m sixty years old and in the GOM nobody will talk to me but the folks at NOAA told me all I have to do is pass the physical.

I find this hard to believe. We have had many new hires in the last year who were 60+. None of them had oilfield experience either, all were new to this segment. One fella was over 70 and came out of retirement but he had previous OSV experience. I will say I believe most paid for DP basic out of their pocket prior to being hired. If you can pass the physical and are maybe willing to spring for the DP basic I can’t see any of them passing on a 1600 Master. If you have called around before while things were slow I suggest beating the bushes down south one more time since things ar picking up.