NOAA jobs

I just applied for the General Vessel Assistant (entry level) and the Oiler jobs which close out 31 Jan.

Has anyone here been recently hired? Are there actual vacancies or are they now just collecting applications at this point?

I hope to hear from them soon. I don’t take my RFPEW assessment class till next month and I mentioned that in my resume so I hope that’s not an automatic disqualifier (they don’t state that it’s a mandatory requirement).

If you work for NOAA, how do you like it? Thanks all.

I been emailing the guy Thomas he said they will start hiring in a couple weeks

I worked for NOAA as a Wiper, getting my Oiler. If you search my previous posts you will find my honest opinion of them in several long paragraphs. The short and sweet version: NOAA is a fun place to work, NOAA work schedules are the worst ever, NOAA was the lowest paid job I have ever had, NOAA doesnt have very much upwards mobility for top spots, so after a few years upgrading your license you max out at an incredibly low wage you could of been making since you started anywhere else as a wiper, NOAA is always hiring for a reason. I worked for them for something like 188 days; I needed 180 days for get my RFPEW signed off. I would love to go back but until they triple their wages and work equal time I wont even think about it.

[QUOTE=liftedlimo;95978]I worked for NOAA as a Wiper, getting my Oiler. If you search my previous posts you will find my honest opinion of them in several long paragraphs. The short and sweet version: NOAA is a fun place to work, NOAA work schedules are the worst ever, NOAA was the lowest paid job I have ever had, NOAA doesnt have very much upwards mobility for top spots, so after a few years upgrading your license you max out at an incredibly low wage you could of been making since you started anywhere else as a wiper, NOAA is always hiring for a reason. I worked for them for something like 188 days; I needed 180 days for get my RFPEW signed off. I would love to go back but until they triple their wages and work equal time I wont even think about it.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate the reply. I took a look at the wage scale and I’d be taking a 50 percent pay cut from the shore job I have now. I can deal with that for a short period of time. I guess I’m anxious about getting hired anywhere because of my age (>50) and because it’s been 20 years since I sailed last, so I am willing to start just about anywhere. I’ll take a look at your posts. Again, thanks.

[QUOTE=chris_os;95933]I been emailing the guy Thomas he said they will start hiring in a couple weeks[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Did you apply also? Good luck.

[QUOTE=catherder;95981]I appreciate the reply. I took a look at the wage scale and I’d be taking a 50 percent pay cut from the shore job I have now. I can deal with that for a short period of time. I guess I’m anxious about getting hired anywhere because of my age (>50) and because it’s been 20 years since I sailed last, so I am willing to start just about anywhere. I’ll take a look at your posts. Again, thanks.[/QUOTE]

Don’t tell them your age and make it difficult for them to figure out. It’s illegal for them to ask anyway. You don’t have to put every job you worked on your resume. Here are some good tips about how to achieve a resume that won’t make you look too old: http://jobsearch.about.com/od/tipsforolderjobseekers/qt/resumetipsolderjobseeker.htm Chances are no one will see you in person before you get hired anyway so they won’t be able to guess base on looks.

Yes I applied back in November

I also applied for it a few months ago, the status says application referred to selecting official…Not really sure whats next but I guess I will find out… Good luck to you guys thats also trying to get hired…

[QUOTE=MariaW;96018]Don’t tell them your age and make it difficult for them to figure out. It’s illegal for them to ask anyway. You don’t have to put every job you worked on your resume. Here are some good tips about how to achieve a resume that won’t make you look too old: http://jobsearch.about.com/od/tipsforolderjobseekers/qt/resumetipsolderjobseeker.htm Chances are no one will see you in person before you get hired anyway so they won’t be able to guess base on looks.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate that. Only thing is I had to upload my DD-214 so I could claim veterans preference, so they know. Oh well.

Next time if I were you, I would “smudge” the dates using photoshop. You know those scanners don’t always work so well :wink: heheh. If you’re lucky, the lazy person checking the application won’t think to scrutinize the veteran’s form.

I know what you mean, but this is a gov’t job…and you can’t bs them about numbers.

Sure you can… Our gov’t smudges he numbers everyday.

I was offered a job by NOAA in 2011; did physical, background, etc. I really think you could be 70 yrs old and they’d still offer you a position if you pass the physical, breath test, etc.

I don’t see some hr folks sitting around making their own jobs harder by excluding potential candidates when already they have a high turnover and such. I wouldn’t expect them to overlook any issues, but I wouldn’t imagine them interpolating that being older automatically would disqualify you.

Whats RFPEW? Just asking incase its something i need too look into. Thanks

[QUOTE=“B_trosclair;98228”]Whats RFPEW? Just asking incase its something i need too look into. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Rating For Performing as Engineering Watch. As opposed to a RFPNW. Navigation Watch.

[QUOTE=“B_trosclair;98228”]Whats RFPEW? Just asking incase its something i need too look into. Thanks[/QUOTE]

RFPEW= Rating Forming Part Of an Engineering Watch.

RFPNW= Rating Forming Part of a Navigational Watch

Is this a class u have to take? Or something u have to get signed off on as a master. Or is this just for up comeing mates/captains?

Google them

[QUOTE=Clear Solution;97480]Sure you can… Our gov’t smudges he numbers everyday.[/QUOTE]

Aint that the truth!

[QUOTE=george44;97527]I was offered a job by NOAA in 2011; did physical, background, etc. I really think you could be 70 yrs old and they’d still offer you a position if you pass the physical, breath test, etc.

I don’t see some hr folks sitting around making their own jobs harder by excluding potential candidates when already they have a high turnover and such. I wouldn’t expect them to overlook any issues, but I wouldn’t imagine them interpolating that being older automatically would disqualify you.[/QUOTE]

I’m just not going to worry about it. I’m in better shape than a lot of people half my age. If some pencil pusher wants to play that game, then there are other fish in the sea.

Got my RFPEW assessment done last week and that’s in the bag now, too. Good to go.