NOAA jobs

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;105305]I find this hard to believe. We have had many new hires in the last year who were 60+. None of them had oilfield experience either, all were new to this segment. One fella was over 70 and came out of retirement but he had previous OSV experience. I will say I believe most paid for DP basic out of their pocket prior to being hired. If you can pass the physical and are maybe willing to spring for the DP basic I can’t see any of them passing on a 1600 Master. If you have called around before while things were slow I suggest beating the bushes down south one more time since things ar picking up.[/QUOTE]

I was gonna say, yea verily. Age is a number if you’re in good shape otherwise. I used to think not, but after running into 60 and 70 somethings even on the box boats, I have been enlightened.

I think it’s a bit unfair that companies in the GOM require that a person quit their present employment and invest a considerable amount of money to make themselves employable. I have forty years of experience that I doubt an academy can replicate, give me at least a little hope to go on and I’ll make the jump but when I don’t even have the courtesy of a returned phone call, I’m sorry.

It sucks, I know

It’s not just in this industry though. Employers in general just don’t reply unless with an offer.

I guess this explains why I responded positively to NOAA’s interest, at least they didn’t make me feel like I needed to kiss their a__

They are nice people to deal with which is rare these days.

I saw that a number of members have applied for jobs at NOAA, has anyone been contacted? The position I applied for (fisherman) doesn’t close until 4/27 so I won’t hear anything until then. They did call me because I had a tentative job offer previously that they thought they could reactivate and need more info from me (medical stuff) but in the end it didn’t work out that they could use it. In the course of my conversations however I was assured that they will be hiring for all posted positions.

[QUOTE=8ball;105608]I saw that a number of members have applied for jobs at NOAA, has anyone been contacted? The position I applied for (fisherman) doesn’t close until 4/27 so I won’t hear anything until then. They did call me because I had a tentative job offer previously that they thought they could reactivate and need more info from me (medical stuff) but in the end it didn’t work out that they could use it. In the course of my conversations however I was assured that they will be hiring for all posted positions.[/QUOTE]

This month and next they are bringing people in. Actually they told me they hire all year round, just that the spring is the busiest. Let them know you are still interested. Also, you may hear from them before the closing date. That’s just the deadline for the announcement when all apps have to be in.

Their budget got hit by the sequester but they were able to get some new funding so things are looking up again, stay positive.

I recieved an email from NOAA on 4/19 that I was moved to, eligible refered to selecting official.

Does anyone here have contact info for the HR people. I emailed the contact provided on the USAJOBS announcements but he wasn’t too helpful. Basically just " we hire people year round, if the selecting officials select you, you will be contacted". I want some inside info…

[QUOTE=8ball;106395]I recieved an email from NOAA on 4/19 that I was moved to, eligible refered to selecting official.[/QUOTE]

Cool! Maybe see you around then!

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Saltwater;113998]Does anyone here have contact info for the HR people. I emailed the contact provided on the USAJOBS announcements but he wasn’t too helpful. Basically just " we hire people year round, if the selecting officials select you, you will be contacted". I want some inside info…[/QUOTE]

I think I know who replied to you. He wasn’t trying to blow you off, he is swamped with work and if you ever saw his email inbox, you’d understand. Just be patient. They do hire year round, but it’s a small fleet of ships and we have a “field season” where the ships are active, vs. the off season where they are pierside and in a repair window.

^^ Thanks, I guess being patient is the only thing to do. I just wish that I could nudge my application in the direction of the person with the big rubber APPROVED stamp.

Good luck. The field season ends Sept 30 but you could still get that call/email. The HR offices are moving so things move slow but I’m betting you hear something soon.