New MMC Issuance Question

I recently received my newly issued MMC after upgrading my license. Forgive me for not understanding the new STCW ruling online, but why is my international part not valid after Dec 31 2016? What else would be needed to lift that restriction before that date other then what I just submitted in my previous app. Additionally, how was I added 5 years from issuance without submitting a radar renewal? Is this part required anymore?

It would help to know what the endorsement is that is marked “not valid after…” I suspect it’s OICNW &/or Master.
For those endorsements you need to take either a “Leadership and Teamwork” or Leadership & Management" class to keep the endorsement valid.

About the radar, if your last class was less than 5 years ago, then you still have a valid radar endorsement, and will need to take the renewal class to keep it that way.
The CG stopped putting radar expirations on MMC’s because so many are way out of sync with the MMC. You do need to be able provide any CG inspector/investigator a copy of your class certificate to prove it’s still valid. I’m not sure you need to send in a new application when you take the class. Hopefully someone else knows that.

[QUOTE=ATB2N2;148446]I recently received my newly issued MMC after upgrading my license. Forgive me for not understanding the new STCW ruling online, but why is my international part not valid after Dec 31 2016? What else would be needed to lift that restriction before that date other then what I just submitted in my previous app. Additionally, how was I added 5 years from issuance without submitting a radar renewal? Is this part required anymore?[/QUOTE]

Use the search function. All your questions were answered in great detail, including links to the USCG website and others. The time frame for the best of the discussions was about June 2014

I’ll be nice and answer these for you:

Your STCW isn’t valid after 2016 without taking the new required management and leadership class and you will have a restriction to vessels without ECDIS after that date unless you take that class as well.

You are required to carry your radar cert on you to prove it’s validity. As long as it hasn’t expired they will renew your MMC.

In the future mariners will spent their life in school keeping ‘‘updated’’. You’ll be paid well but your job time will be spent on the computer supervising the mariners aboard ship who’ll get about a third your pay!

[QUOTE=ATB2N2;148446]Forgive me for not understanding the new STCW ruling online, but why is my international part not valid after Dec 31 2016? What else would be needed to lift that restriction before that date other then what I just submitted in my previous app.[/QUOTE]
This was specific to renewals, but the answer is in there: http://www.gcaptain.com/forum/professional-mariner-forum/15073-stcw-2010-renewal-requirements.html

[QUOTE=ATB2N2;148446]Additionally, how was I added 5 years from issuance without submitting a radar renewal? Is this part required anymore?[/QUOTE]
If your radar observer was current, it’s on the MMC. Now it’s up to you to keep it current, just because your MMC is not expired doesn’t mean your radar endorsement is valid. You have to carry proof you took a course in the last five years. This is not new. It’s been like this since 2008.

you have 48 hours to prove your Radar Endorsement is current If questioned I believe…

[QUOTE=OBXmariner;148496]you have 48 hours to prove your Radar Endorsement is current If questioned I believe…[/QUOTE]

You’re right. I was keeping it intentionally simple.

I am trying to renew my MMC and I did an original radar course in 2004 and just did the renewal course. I didn’t need radar for my previous job so I didn’t do a radar renewal in 2009. I am now being told I have to take an original course again. I’m looking at the CFR and don’t see where that’s a requirement. Anybody out there have this happen before?