New Construction Vessels

So what’s the scoop on these new construction vessels? Like the Harvey Deep Seas and the C-Installer and I guess new ones like Oceaneering and Hornbeck will be coming out with, are they going to be “6000 OSVs” or actually fall under an unlimited COI? Or will this be the start of the new and improved 10,000 OSV?
They’re nice looking vessels, anyone on here work on one? How are they and what’s it like compared to OSV work?

They are 6000ton vessels…

OK well there’s a start…

The Oceaneering new build(s) will be manned with unlimited crew.

What makes those different from the other style boats? Are they going to be over 6000?

The HOS vessels will probably be crewed with Unlimited Officers to be ready for I class. The 6000 license doesn’t apply for I Class right.

What is I class ?

Industrial

[QUOTE=shadowcajun;129502]Industrial[/QUOTE]

actually it is Subchapter I “cargo and miscellaneous vessels”

[QUOTE=shadowcajun;129484]The HOS vessels will probably be crewed with Unlimited Officers to be ready for I class. The 6000 license doesn’t apply for I Class right.[/QUOTE]

I hear they are still on the fence about how it will be crewed up. It’s in the GC’s hands now I guess.

At what point does a dual classed vessel have to be re-crewed to cover subchapter I. Is it an honor system with the company that if they pick up a job related to subchapter I, they must provide an unlimited crew? Seems like there would be a fine line, and maybe the company could bias whatever job they are doing toward subchapter L?

[QUOTE=gulf_engineer;129613]At what point does a dual classed vessel have to be re-crewed to cover subchapter I. Is it an honor system with the company that if they pick up a job related to subchapter I, they must provide an unlimited crew? Seems like there would be a fine line, and maybe the company could bias whatever job they are doing toward subchapter L?[/QUOTE]

We have covered this… At what point does anything in this industry leave the grey area and become black and white? It’s when the amount of cash offered no longer meets the risk /reward threshold.

You’re right. I should have “thought outside the grey area” before asking that.

[QUOTE=gulf_engineer;129626]You’re right. I should have “thought outside the grey area” before asking that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I about spit my coffee across the wheelhouse when I read about “the honor system” that might be functioning in the bayou.

I tell you what, say what you want about Harvey, but they know how to build (order) boats. The YouTube videos of the new boats are impressive. I see they have 2 340s on order as well. Looks like they focused on crew comforts more than some other companies…

I just saw a 37 page PDF on the 477’ x bows that ECO is building. Some kind of fine. First one comes out 2015 with another in 2016.

C installer ain’t to shabby either…

I’m happy to see some of the changes in the way offshore vessels are being designed by all the companies.

What are the chances of you posting the link to that pdf so I don’t have to open the google?

I haven’t seen any pics of the Installer, but I know ECO has some really good looking vessels as well. That xbow is going to look sharp.

The crew comforts on the new builds is due to ILO compliance. Although the US has not adopted the ILO these vessels need to be able to compete in the international market. These companies will get voluntary documents of compliance for ILO so they can work in countries that have adopted ILO standards. This means no more bunks in staterooms, more square footage per person, workout equipment, and lower decibel levels in living spaces.

[QUOTE=gulf_engineer;134083]What are the chances of you posting the link to that pdf so I don’t have to open the google?[/QUOTE]

Not something I think you can find yet. It was an internal file within the company at this time.