Hornbeck

Anybody know if they are currently hiring captains? I heard there was a hiring freeze until they kick out some new boats

[QUOTE=groessleriv;96165]Anybody know if they are currently hiring captains? I heard there was a hiring freeze until they kick out some new boats[/QUOTE]

GODDAMMIT! There’s already a bloody shitload of threads here about HOS. Go find one and read it to get the answers you seek!

THIS IS JUST BLOODY RIDICULOUS!

If you have at least 1600/3000 license and full DP certificate they will definitely be interested. If you don’t have DP your gonna probably have to wait it out. Use the search function I’ve covered all this in great detail in recent months.

Those “answers” are always changing though. I for one always enjoy reading these types of posts. Maybe a new thread was not needed but the OP was a good one.

I have a question about all these new boats though. Are there enough mariners to crew all the new vessels due in the next few years?

[QUOTE=“CurryAK;96184”]

I have a question about all these new boats though. Are there enough mariners to crew all the new vessels due in the next few years?[/QUOTE]

Especially if Manila Amendment rules regarding rest are implemented into CFRs. Stay tuned. . .

We would be hiring more people now but don’t have room for them. Just about every bunk on every boat is full at the moment. Will there be enough mariners to crew all the newbuilds in the coming years is a good question. All the mud boat companies are building as well as the drilling contractors it’s gonna be interesting to say the least. I’m wondering what if any type of study has been done to show the impact of enforcing the Manilla rest amendments. Has someone said there is no way we have enough people to do this and commerce will be affected? Would they delay enforcing it? Is this an end run around the JA to get foreign mariners a toehold in the domestic job market?

Come on people…OMSA gives the USCG their marching orders and they are not going to allow the STCW Manila Ammendments to change a damned thing in the GoM as far as operating OSVs are concerned.

DO YOU KNOW THAT A LARGE OSV LICENSE IS NOT RECOGNIZED UNDER THE STCW HENCE BY THE IMO? IT SHOULD HAVE THE VALUE OF TOILET PAPER EXCEPT OMSA MADE DAMNED SURE THE USCG WENT RIGHT ALONG!

Enough of this nonsense now! We’ve done this never ending dance too many times and my effing feet are sore!

[QUOTE=“c.captain;96194”]DO YOU KNOW THAT A LARGE OSV LICENSE IS NOT RECOGNIZED UNDER THE STCW HENCE BY THE IMO? IT SHOULD HAVE THE VALUE OF TOILET PAPER EXCEPT OMSA MADE DAMNED SURE THE USCG WENT RIGHT ALONG![/QUOTE]

Yet Brazil still recognizes it and allows Americans to work on a large OSV in Brazil with it.

I don’t really see the manilla ammendments on rest being an issue on the majority of the boats in the GOM. The only ones that would be affected would be maybe the small boat companines that still have only one engineer onboard. The big companies I don’t see anything changing or being an issue. It is pretty rare for anyone to work more than there scheduled watch where I am at.

I really dont think the OMSA companies will let anything happen to the jones act either. They for the most part have a monopoly here inthe gulf. I am pretty sure they will fight to keep it that way. They don’t want to compete with fillipino flag boats any more than we want to work for fillipino wages. Just my opinion.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;96197]Yet Brazil still recognizes it and allows Americans to work on a large OSV in Brazil with it.[/QUOTE]

Only on an American falg vessel, you cant work on anything else with that endorsment. That is where the IMO does not recgonize it.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;96201]Only on an American falg vessel, you cant work on anything else with that endorsment. That is where the IMO does not recgonize it.[/QUOTE]

And that’s only because the OMSA companies have stroke in Brazil plus they’re all on the take down there anyway. See how far that license will go in the North Sea?

If there was a reason or the need there, it would be so.

They don’t seem to be hiring at the moment, especially without DP. And at that I wouldn’t bother without 1600/3000 master or relevant chiefs license.

Seems like hiring won’t get going anywhere until some new boats drop. And that’s my take from the outside looking in.

An it’s a good take! From the inside looking out my crystal ball says March/April when the doors open again.

[QUOTE=anchorman;96207]If there was a reason or the need there, it would be so.[/QUOTE]

so tell me anchorman…how far would a Large OSV license go in the North Sea anyway? Would Norway or Great Britain recognize it as valid?

No they wouldn’t because it is not an STCW recognized or compliant license and as the port state would expect the vessel to be manned and operated per IMO rules…in fact they don’t believe any US license is truly STCW valid because the USCG has diluted the training requirements in the US down to nothing close to the intent of the Convention.

The US signs all of these treaties and conventions but never do they ever believe that they “Really” have to abide by them!

Come now Cap you know damned well $ talks in this business.

So all the bunks are full? That makes me feel better about not making any progress with my quest to switch from Hornbecks tug fleet to an OSV. Im hoping to have my Mate 1600 by time the newbuilds start working, and I am hoping that the forcasted opportunitys prevail.

[QUOTE=c.captain;96194]
DO YOU KNOW THAT A LARGE OSV LICENSE IS NOT RECOGNIZED UNDER THE STCW HENCE BY THE IMO? IT SHOULD HAVE THE VALUE OF TOILET PAPER EXCEPT OMSA MADE DAMNED SURE THE USCG WENT RIGHT ALONG![/QUOTE]
Are you sure? If you go to the NMC web site and pull up the checksheet for any of the OSV credentials they all have the requirements to get an STCW endorseet for the large OSV it is: http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/credentials/checklists/pdfs/MCP-FM-NMC5-87%20Master%20OSV%206000.pdf?list1=%2Fnmc%2Fcredentials%2Fchecklists%2Fpdfs%2FMCP-FM-NMC5-87+Master+OSV+6000.pdf&B1=GO!
To get the STCW you do the exact things an applicant for a Master 500/1600 has to do.

rw

[QUOTE=rwells78;96239]Are you sure?[/QUOTE]

It is compliant as far as the USCG is concerned but they hardly care that there is no such thing as a 6000ton license in the STCW nor is there such a thing as an OSV license either. By the regulations per the STCW Convention, those licenses do not exist and thus do not have validity beyond the USA or US vessels. If a port state wants to, they can deny those officers the right to operate ANY vessel in the waters that fall under their jurisdiction per their rights under Port State Control.

Large OSV is an artificial category created by the USCG per the wishes of OMSA and of course the same OMSA asked that a special artificial category of licenses be created for those vessels. Of course the reality is that all these vessels do exist under the US Code and CFRs so they are legal in the US but they are not compliant under the IMO which shows how the US gives the finger to the IMO and the IMO conventions it is a signatory to then those conventions get in the way of business interests.

[QUOTE=c.captain;96243]It is compliant as far as the USCG is concerned but they hardly care that there is no such thing as a 6000ton license in the STCW nor is there such a thing as an OSV license either. By the regulations per the STCW Convention, those licenses do not exist and thus do not have validity beyond the USA or US vessels. If a port state wants to, they can deny those officers the right to operate ANY vessel in the waters that fall under their jurisdiction per their rights under Port State Control.

Large OSV is an artificial category created by the USCG per the wishes of OMSA and of course the same OMSA asked that a special artificial category of licenses be created for those vessels. Of course the reality is that all these vessels do exist under the US Code and CFRs so they are legal in the US but they are not compliant under the IMO which shows how the US gives the finger to the IMO and the IMO conventions it is a signatory to then those conventions get in the way of business interests.[/QUOTE]

Then, why do you suppose there are vessels in foreign countries with US mariners with these licenses?

I mean really, When I have a US flagged vessel alongside my $600,000,000 drill ship with OSV licensed mariners from the US, I take comfort in the fact that they had to comply with a far superior assessment program that included interfacing with drill ships in manual and DP mode, and take part in several fuel transfers to even get the license. Having these guys working for and receiving these endorsements which foreign port states recognize; I call that a win. I don’t know what you call it.

FYI, there has been a few vessels with OSV mariner in the North Sea with no problem.

We have been down this road before. You do not personally like the license and never have. The only thing that has changed since the last conversation is more of these licenses have been issued and recognized by more foreign port states. I don’t know what else to tell you. That is a fact.