Need Some Advice

Hey guys, I’ve been looking around on the forums for awhile now but have never posted. Here’s the thing. I’m 20 years old, getting my QMED next month, and hoping I don’t get shit on by the bigger companies for my age when I start applying. I’ve got about 2 years of engine room time (being the only engineer on the boats I’ve worked on), along with a year of deck time from working on boats during high school and when I first started in the oilfield. The company I work for doesn’t have a need for QMEDs which is why I’ll be looking for something else. My main questions are how I should approach these bigger companies (HOS, Harvey, ECO, ect.), what to expect interview wise, if there’s anything extra besides a few certifications I should look into getting, and any other advice from people who’ve had experience with companies like that.
Thanks.

I was 18 when I started so don’t let the age thing worry you. When you get your QMED in hand I suggest going straight to the drill ships. If had to do it all over again that is where I would start. The money will probably be close to the same for a QMED at the boat companies as drilling but the benefits, the way you get treated as an employee, and chance for advancement is way better in drilling. Once you start advancing your license you will do better on the drill rigs as well. If you can change filters, do basic maintenance, and don’t mind jumping off into a MSD system you should have no worries. I know I am short 2 QMEDS on my rig right now, so they should be hiring.

What ChiefRob said…also, keep copies of all discharges/sea time letters, correspondence and applications with the CG. With QMED in hand, it’s never too early to start a license study regiment. Memorizing the alphabet is one thing but take time to understand the theory behind the questions. ASK QUESTIONS! Most engineers know that the more the QMEDs know, the less they have to do. Good luck in your trek.

Thanks guys. And that’s what most people have told me is to get on drillships/rigs so I’m definitely going to look into it. What I’m wondering now is if I’ll be restricted from those because of the course I’m taking. I’m going to sea school in Bayou La Batre for the QMED OSV.

I had a friend use that school and get his QMED OSV, and when our company sent in his documents to get his Liberian(which is required on our drill ship) he got the same Liberian Oiler/Motorman as all the other regular QMEDs.

Not sure how that worked, but he was also able to get a sea time letter from our employer stating he had a straight 2yrs of sea time starting from the first day he was hired. USCG didn’t bat an eye, even though this guy sat at home for over half a year and got seatime for it.

Hey guys I have the time to sit for my 3rd assistant lisence & dde unlimited tests. My question is this, I already have the study equipment for my 3rd… Mass maritime books vol. 1-3. And the hawsepipe thumbdrive for 3rd. Do y’all think I should get the specific material for the dde unlimited or should the study material I already have be sufficient? Thanks

[QUOTE=rock82;139650]Hey guys I have the time to sit for my 3rd assistant lisence & dde unlimited tests. My question is this, I already have the study equipment for my 3rd… Mass maritime books vol. 1-3. And the hawsepipe thumbdrive for 3rd. Do y’all think I should get the specific material for the dde unlimited or should the study material I already have be sufficient? Thanks[/QUOTE]

I think the study materials should be the same. I am pretty sure yyou will have to take 9 modules for both those licenses. All the same questions just more modules.

I don’t believe the CG gives out QMED OSV anymore

How can i Get these mass maritime books for the 3rd A/E unlimitied?