Getting Started, any advice?

I am looking at getting started trying to get qmed oiler rating, with the end goal of working for washington state ferries as an oiler. They offer a free internship program where I could get 90 days as an wiper to go towards my oiler cert. Before I start that, I was planning on going to Maritime training center down in San Diego for their QMED F/WT/O class, which would give me credit for 90 more days, making the 180 to be an oiler. Then apply at ferries.
Is there any other way to get wiper experience, preferably paid, from the Seattle area? And does this require being away from home for more than a few weeks at a time?
Any advice helps, thank you.

WTF?..you already have obviously figured out your path so what do you need from us? You must be looking for easier, faster, cheaper? Good luck!

Have fun being a WSF slug!

Just go to seattle maritime academy they seem to hire from there. They have some sort of engineering deal.

Man you can be a QMED without even going to sea. All that valuable classroom instruction is gonna pay off in spades. I wanna be there when he tells his chief that he’s a QMED but has never been in an engine room.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;99838]Man you can be a QMED without even going to sea. All that valuable classroom instruction is gonna pay off in spades. I wanna be there when he tells his chief that he’s a QMED but has never been in an engine room.[/QUOTE]

I was amazed at how many people are actually doing that. There seems to be a slew of GI Bill young-uns at MAMA. They are doing all the month-long courses. Most of these people were Navy non-engineering rates but a few were Army guys.

[QUOTE=dbax129;99638]I am looking at getting started trying to get qmed oiler rating, with the end goal of working for washington state ferries as an oiler. They offer a free internship program where I could get 90 days as an wiper to go towards my oiler cert. Before I start that, I was planning on going to Maritime training center down in San Diego for their QMED F/WT/O class, which would give me credit for 90 more days, making the 180 to be an oiler. Then apply at ferries.
Is there any other way to get wiper experience, preferably paid, from the Seattle area? And does this require being away from home for more than a few weeks at a time?
Any advice helps, thank you.[/QUOTE]

You don’t want to be away from home for more than a couple weeks? Really? I can’t wait to get the hell away from home again. I’m about to gouge my eyeballs out, but I am still using those.

[QUOTE=dbax129;99638]I am looking at getting started trying to get qmed oiler rating, with the end goal of working for washington state ferries as an oiler. They offer a free internship program where I could get 90 days as an wiper to go towards my oiler cert. Before I start that, I was planning on going to Maritime training center down in San Diego for their QMED F/WT/O class, which would give me credit for 90 more days, making the 180 to be an oiler. Then apply at ferries.
Any advice helps, thank you.[/QUOTE]

Training can only substitute for half of the rtime for a QMED endorsement (that’s why all the courses are capped at 90 days). Your plan works only if WSF gives you actual sea time. Also, trainiing generally cannot substitute for sea time for STCW endorsements, so you won’t be able to get STCW RFPEW, not having that is going to limit where you can work as a QMED.

[QUOTE=catherder;99840]You don’t want to be away from home for more than a couple weeks? Really? I can’t wait to get the hell away from home again. I’m about to gouge my eyeballs out, but I am still using those.[/QUOTE]

You sound like you are married. . . .

I went to Seattle Maritime a couple years ago and now have my QMED & RFPEW, now I work for an oil company making great money and 3 week rotations. There is more out there than the WSF. Don’t just base your job hunting on how much time away you’ll have, if it’s that important than maybe you might need to look elsewhere for a career. PM me if you want more info.

I recently attended an infosession at Seattle Maritime for their marine engineering certificate program. It seems to be a pretty solid… my plan is to attend the program next fall; cross fingers if I can get ahead of the competition. Ha.

As for WSF, they have a decent internship for engineers since they are in high demand. If you go to SMA, the internship–if I remember correctly–is actually 60 days. The pay is pretty great if you decide to stay with them. I think the salary starts around $60-$70k…? I almost became a deckhand this year for them so I could save up for the tuition, but I’m getting married during the [I]end[/I] of the busy season so they told me to try again next year. Boo. I’d rather work with tugs anyway. Just can’t get over them muscle cars of the sea.