Information

I’ve been trying to find employment as an oiler/wiper.
I have my MMC,TWIC,and Passport.
I do not have my STCW 95.
Is there any way for me to gain employment as an entry-level ouler/wiper without it? If not,how can I obtain it without having to pay an arm and a leg?
Mid-Atlantic maritime academy wants $2500.00 for it.

Perhaps you should have titled your thread: Is there any way for me to gain employment as an entry-level ouler/wiper without STCW basic safety training?

But at least you did not ask people to guess what your question was.

Vague thread title.

Do you have a QMED Oiler endorsement?

There are cheaper QMED oiler courses.

BT (formerly BST) typically costs about $800.

Try the Seattle fishing companies.

What question do you really want to know? Cause entry level is wiper, not oiler… I’m confused on exactly what your wanting to know other then you want a job.

Feeling some deja vu from a past thread.
A lot of companies refer to assistant engineers as oilers, even if they don’t have the qmed rating. Just one of those things. Could be what the OP is referring to.

Shouldn’t they just call them wipers though, I mean oiler is the engine equivalent AB right?

yes, like jeaux boss calling mates captains

ZDrive, love the profile pic, didn’t know you looked so good. :wink: Even better then Cajaya!

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;175324]Shouldn’t they just call them wipers though, I mean oiler is the engine equivalent AB right?[/QUOTE]
I totally agree…it’s kinda similair to some folks on yachts or fishing boats that are called mates and yet have no license.

Where do you live OP?

[QUOTE=Jerrymorganjr;174988]I do not have my STCW 95.[/QUOTE]

STCW is a treaty that covers many things, you are probably referring to Basic Training (BT). Recruiters and HR people who don’t know what they’re talking about call it “your STCW”, now that you know, please never use that wording again.

[QUOTE=Jerrymorganjr;174988]Is there any way for me to gain employment as an entry-level oiler/wiper without it?[/QUOTE]

As has been pointed out, Oiler isn’t entry level and since you don’t have an Oiler rating you can’t get a job as such.

[QUOTE=Jerrymorganjr;174988]Mid-Atlantic maritime academy wants $2500.00 for it.[/QUOTE]

Actually, they want $1,000 for it.

http://www.mamatrains.com/index.php/admissions-and-courses/deck-courses/26-basic-training-formerly-known-as-bst

Harbor tugs and Inland tugs don’t fail under STCW so you could work on those boats. The pay isn’t glamorous but it’s experience.

Yes you are right… It’s quite confusing when it comes to the shore side names… People on the beach call it one thing and people working out here call it another…

I would recommend getting your STCW, BT, BST or whatever in the hell it’s called and good luck to you… I know when you call the school it’s gonna be called STCW-95…

[QUOTE=josh.reid24;175371]… I know when you call the school it’s gonna be called STCW-95…[/QUOTE]

I’m almost positive a school is NOT going to call Basic Safety Training “STCW-95.” Perhaps they might if they think the person they are talking to is not knowledgeable and might be easily confused if they used the correct term.

By the way, “Basic Safety Training” is no longer completely accurate. Under STCW 2010, it’s now called “Basic Training.”

Just looked it up and it says “Basic Safety Training (STCW)”

http://www.fletcher.edu/assets/docs/Marine/Fletcher%20Marine%20Schedule%20July-December%202015.pdf

[QUOTE=josh.reid24;175406]Just looked it up and it says “Basic Safety Training (STCW)”

http://www.fletcher.edu/assets/docs/Marine/Fletcher%20Marine%20Schedule%20July-December%202015.pdf[/QUOTE]

So what? That school happens to still be using the old terminology, not all of them are.

www.mamatrains.com/index.php/admissions-and-courses/deck-courses/26-basic-training-formerly-known-as-bst

[QUOTE=josh.reid24;175406]Just looked it up and it says “Basic Safety Training (STCW)”

http://www.fletcher.edu/assets/docs/Marine/Fletcher%20Marine%20Schedule%20July-December%202015.pdf[/QUOTE]

You have confirmed my comment that a school will not call it “STCW 95.”