MEECE for DDE?

I’m currently taking the Meece Class. However reading the USCG web it looks as though I don’t need it. I currently hold a 1600 Master of Towing Oceans, Assistant Engineer 3000 Hp and DDE no Hp restrictions. II/2 II/4 III/1 VI/1 VI/2 VI/3 VI/4

When I’m looking at the Page 11.329 STCW OICEW or DDE 750kw -1000hp or more. If I skip down to the part that sez " If sea service started AFTER March 24 2014 Approved Training "

Then there is a list such as ERM. There is one Electrical Machinery and basic Electronics but none specifically as Meece.

But the way I’m reading this I’m grandfathered in since I did my Sea Service prior to 2014.

I already did the ERM.

Do I even need MEECE ???

[QUOTE=Richard Post;192528]I’m currently taking the Meece Class. However reading the USCG web it looks as though I don’t need it. I currently hold a 1600 Master of Towing Oceans, Assistant Engineer 3000 Hp and DDE no Hp restrictions. II/2 II/4 III/1 VI/1 VI/2 VI/3 VI/4

When I’m looking at the Page 11.329 STCW OICEW or DDE 750kw -1000hp or more. If I skip down to the part that sez " If sea service started AFTER March 24 2014 Approved Training "

Then there is a list such as ERM. There is one Electrical Machinery and basic Electronics but none specifically as Meece.

But the way I’m reading this I’m grandfathered in since I did my Sea Service prior to 2014.

I already did the ERM.

Do I even need MEECE ???[/QUOTE]

You don’t need it based on what you have in your MMC, but you do need it based on what you should have.

As the DDE serves as the sole engineer on a vessel, they are the de facto Chief Engineer of that vessel, and as such, should hold an STCW endorsement as Chief Engineer, STCW III/2 or III/3. STCW III/2 requires the Management of Electrical and Electronic Control Equipment course.

For background on the correct STCW endorsement for a DDE, see here.

Thanx for the reply. After reading this over I’m not sure if I need the Meece for my travels in to port in Canada or not. Otherwise I still don’t see where I would need it.

[QUOTE=Richard Post;192560]Thanx for the reply. After reading this over I’m not sure if I need the Meece for my travels in to port in Canada or not. Otherwise I still don’t see where I would need it.[/QUOTE]

Well, one way or another I have my Meece certificate in hand now. I didn’t want it to bite me in the future and have to spend 2 weeks doing it next year.

I’m asking my employer to send me to it. I hold 3A/E and DDE unlim.

I really can’t work under my DDE license without it, not outside the Boundary line anyway, the way I interpret the rules.

I’m close enough to 2A/E to need it soon anyway.