Mate OSV to 1600 Master

Confused. According to policy letter 11-07, and the faq for same on NMC website, if I tested for Mate OSV after 2002 (I tested in 2007), I have already tested through 3rd mate. Therefore, if I am understanding this correctly, my upgrade from Mate OSV to 1600 Master should be just sea time. Can anyone else give me your take on this ? Thanks guys.

Sorry, not true. You tested for mate, not master, thus you can go up as far as 2m with just sea time but not to master.

If you hold a 500t master oceans at the time you upgrade from 3rd to 2nd, you can get upgraded to 1600t without testing. If you hold a lower masters license, you have to take an abbreviated test. At least, that’s how it was 5 years ago or so.

[QUOTE=“jp7731;91826”]If you hold a 500t master oceans at the time you upgrade from 3rd to 2nd, you can get upgraded to 1600t without testing.[/QUOTE]

You don’t need to upgrade to 2m for this to apply. But this has no bearing on the OP’s question…

Capt. Phoenix…thanks for the info. Wanting to upgrade from Mate Osv and 100 ton master to 1600 ton master. Your advice on the best way to proceed ???

[QUOTE=“captrjo;92010”]Capt. Phoenix…thanks for the info. Wanting to upgrade from Mate Osv and 100 ton master to 1600 ton master. Your advice on the best way to proceed ???[/QUOTE]

The fastest would probably be to go ahead and apply for 1600 ton master if you have the time and take the test.

The easiest would be to do the OICNW assessments and upgrade to 3m then 2m / 1600 ton master and just take the crossover exam.

How much sea time do you currently have in what capacity and tonnage?

Since the license, over 700 days as mate on 1100 ton vessel, 500ish days as master on 100 ton vessels. Don’t have a total count with me right now. So, your advice would be just go for the 1600 master ?

[QUOTE=“captrjo;92312”]Since the license, over 700 days as mate on 1100 ton vessel, 500ish days as master on 100 ton vessels. Don’t have a total count with me right now. So, your advice would be just go for the 1600 master ?[/QUOTE]

Yes, go straight for a 1600 ton master. (Unless you want to get a 3m and wait a year before upgrading again just to get a much easier test.)

Roger. Thanks for the advice. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;91828]You don’t need to upgrade to 2m for this to apply. But this has no bearing on the OP’s question…[/QUOTE]
Like I said this was several years ago and perhaps things have changed. When I got my 3rds unlimited I already had a 500t master oceans. There was no option to upgrade to 1600t master at that time. When I got my 2nds, they upgraded my masters to 1600t with no testing

I will submit an application when I get off, and post the results here.

[QUOTE=“jp7731;92591”]
Like I said this was several years ago and perhaps things have changed. When I got my 3rds unlimited I already had a 500t master oceans. There was no option to upgrade to 1600t master at that time. When I got my 2nds, they upgraded my masters to 1600t with no testing[/QUOTE]

That makes sense, since you already had a master license if the same test level.