Master 500 to 1600 upgrade. Test again?

<br>
<br>

Hi,&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;I was approved to sit for my 500grt in Dec. 2001. I passed first attempt in Oct. 2002. Do I have to test again for a 1600 upgrade now that I have qualifying seatime? Or take all those new classes?&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;I've heard something about dates of original seatime, but I also found this USCG checklist link that seems to insinuate that I don't have to test.&lt;br&gt;www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/Master%201600%20Gross%20Tons%20Checklist%20MLD-FM-REC-112.pdf&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;Does anyone have any info on this situation. I'm also wondering if it goes through, what the crossover requirements are for 3rd Mate unlimited from 1600 oceans?&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;Thanks &lt;br&gt;

You can crossover from 2nd Mate unlimited to 1600ton master with a 70 question exam, not from 3rd.<br><DIV>If you took the new (OICNW) exam with the terrestrial module included, you should not have to re-test for 1,600.</DIV><br><DIV>You can look over the “deck guide” on the uscg.com/stcw website. It lists the actual test modules.</DIV>

On a similar, but different note, is there any equivalency from 3/M to some tonnage Master? I’ve heard that it’s equivalent to a 100 ton Master, or a “99” ton Master (not sure what the difference there is supposed to be), but I’ve never found a real answer to the question.

<DIV>New3M,</DIV> The first license that I ever had was a 1600ton Mate and I remember someone telling me something similar to that…like I could run 100ton master with that license. I’m not sure if there was any truth to that, and really didn’t care if there was.

Thanks anchorman,<br><br>I really don’t remember if terrestrial was inlcuded or not. I had taken the terrestrial/1600 prep at MPT the month before the exam, and was well prepared so it would be a shame if I wasn’t given the extra few questions when I had the chance. I wasn’t given a choice in Miami. I suppose I will apply and see how it plays out.<br>

It depends if you got your 500 ton under the old licensing scheme or not:<br><br>NMC Policy letter 01-02 section 11(a) originally read, prior to the correction contained in NMC Policy letter 16-02:<br>
<br>
Effective 1 February 2002, an applicant who holds a 500 GRT license and STCW certification that were issued based on the <span style="text-decoration: underline;]former licensing scheme</span> and who applies for a 1,600 GRT license and certification must:<br>
(1) Meet the sea service requirements of 46 CFR 10.414 or 10.416.<br>
(2) Complete the practical assessments<br>
(3) Pass the written examination<br><br><br>Fortunately for many, NMC Policy letter 16-02, a correction to NMC policy letter 01-02, delets (2) and (3) in section 11(a):<br><br>Effective 1 February 2002, an applicant who holds a 500 GRT license and STCW certification that were issued based on the <span style="text-decoration: underline;]former licensing scheme</span> and who applies for a 1,600 GRT license and certification must meet the sea service requirements of 46 CFR 10.414 or 10.416.<br><br>No assessments, no exam.<br>

Wow,<br><br>That is good news. As I said I don’t know if I did the terrestrial module, but I certainly didn’t take all those new classes they added, so I would be classified under old scheme either way. Thanks for the detailed info Doug.

I love it when we win every now and then…