500 to 1600 Upgrade

Hi Folks,
A shipmate and myself are looking to upgrade from the 500 Master NC to at least a 1600 Mate NC, and if all of our sea time counts we’ll be going for the 1600 Master NC. Would there be any additional testing to complete for either of these upgrades? I looked on the USCG website and it seemed that there were tests to take for the transition to 1600 Mate, but not to Master???

Thanks a bunch.

Have you held a 500 ton mate?

Just go to 1600 master which you should be able to do without testing, you will have to test for 1600 mate if you didn’t test for 500 mate after a date in 2003.

Thanks Z-Drive. I called the NMC, and wouldn’t you know, they have no clue as to what would be needed. I’ve only got a little while longer before getting enough time to get the masters ticket so I reckon I’ll just wait. Again, thanks for the info.

I’ll try and dig up the specifics for you later

[QUOTE=lanternfish;152612] I called the NMC, and wouldn’t you know, they have no clue as to what would be needed.
[/QUOTE]

And they told me one time there was no such thing as an ocean endorsement on Master 200/500.

Hahaha, the folks on the line at the NMC are often a joke. I was trying to test for AB and they told me that you had to get the knot tying practical done elsewhere because the RECs couldn’t handle it. When I went in to the Portland REC, there sat a basket full of line and a cleat screwed to the countertop…turns out you can do it ALL of them but one. I’m glad the evaluators know what they’re doing. BTW, they approved me for the upgrade to 1600 Master using ITC tonnage instead of GRT because of our manning standards onboard and a copy of policy letter 11-12. Again, really glad the evaluators are good at what they do.