Help me Understand This

I work offshore In catering. Sodexo (5 years) any ways I found out my Navy time carries over and I have a AB limited right now. Will be looking for a job soon. I have talked to many captains 3rd/2nd mate from the boats I have been on. Otto candies boats right now. Got tons of info. Still lost on this tho.

An AB told me he took 3rd mate 500/1600 because if he took 3rd mate unlimited he could not keep re taking the test or something. Said it was easier to take 3rd mate 500/1600 pass and then roll it over to unlimited?

Can some one go into some detail on that?

1. I don’t see 3rd 500/1600 on the NMC site I see National Master oc/nc Is that what he was talking about?

2. If sea time is the only difference and the tests are the same why not just wait just a little longer and take 3rd unlimited? (well I can some what see why if you are just doing 1600T)

3. The 500/1600T is 6 tests in 7 days correct? The testing and how its given is my biggest question.

I am searching google but I am not finding direct answers to my questions so I am posting.

You might actually want to work as a deck crew member first before becoming a “mate”.

The term 3rd mate 500/1600 is throwing you off. Just look for 1600 ton mate info. 3rd mate is an unlimited license or it can be issued with tonnage restrictions.

And as far as deck work, whatever company hires you will probably want you on deck for a while as you have no real experience. But get the license asap so you can move up when the time comes.

[QUOTE=beekerbetter;161304]… as you have no real experience. But get the license asap so you can move up when the time comes.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone else find this a bit disturbing? Get the license then try to acquire the training and experience it is supposed to represent?

Do you think that test has anything to do with the experience of being on deck? The system is set up in a way that he has the sea time to test, so why shouldn’t he. If he had a deck rating in the navy he has the experience and knowledge anyway.

Not going for a 3rd job. I am going for a AB limited job for a few years. While I do have my books I read them for about 1 hour a day so when the time does come Its not 100% all new to me. My questions still stand. Just looking for info on how the testing works. The AB I talked to told me he failed 2 tests as planed so he could focus on just 2 for the re test and be sure to pass the first 4. Is that the smart way of doing it? I am years away from testing but I want the info on how its done right now and not last min.

So I get so far

2 tests per day for 3 days then what? If you have to re test do you get 1 day to study or 2 or 3? How does The testing work? I could call the NMC but they just read a screen and never really answer my questions.

[QUOTE=Menizzi;161299]An AB told me he took 3rd mate 500/1600 because if he took 3rd mate unlimited he could not keep re taking the test or something. Said it was easier to take 3rd mate 500/1600 pass and then roll it over to unlimited? [/QUOTE]

The exams are the same, but until a recent regulation change, the policy on re-taking failed parts of the exam was different for “unlimited” licenses. The “limited” license policy allowed more re-takes of failed parts. Others may disagree, but to me, if this is a big concern you should probably just study more and/or reconsider if you’re ready to take the test for either license.

[QUOTE=Menizzi;161299]1. I don’t see 3rd 500/1600 on the NMC site I see National Master oc/nc Is that what he was talking about?.[/QUOTE]
http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/pdfs/mcp_fm_nmc5_05_web.pdf?list1=%2Fnmc%2Fchecklists%2Fpdfs%2Fmcp_fm_nmc5_05_web.pdf&B1=GO!
http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/pdfs/mcp_fm_nmc5_07_web.pdf?list1=%2Fnmc%2Fchecklists%2Fpdfs%2Fmcp_fm_nmc5_07_web.pdf&B1=GO!

[QUOTE=Menizzi;161299] 2. If sea time is the only difference and the tests are the same why not just wait just a little longer and take 3rd unlimited? (well I can some what see why if you are just doing 1600T)[/QUOTE]
I have no idea, doesn’t make sense to me. See my response above.

[QUOTE=Menizzi;161299]3. The 500/1600T is 6 tests in 7 days correct? The testing and how its given is my biggest question. [/QUOTE]
It’s one test made up of 6 modules, and you have to take them on consecutive days, at least two per day. So it’s 6 “tests” in 3 days, not 7 days.

[QUOTE=Steamer;161307]Does anyone else find this a bit disturbing? Get the license then try to acquire the training and experience it is supposed to represent?[/QUOTE]

Since the AB advising the original poster seems to be concerned about being able to pass the license exam, it might be read as saying don’t bother with STCW until you know you can pass the exam. Notwithstanding whether this is a legitimate concern for someone who is ready for the raise in grade, I’d recommend getting both ASAP. There’s going to be a lot more training required for OICNW starting on January 1, 2017.