500t master to 1600t master

Hey guys, Last year I upgraded my 200ton masters to 500 ton masters license using the crossover exam using my Masters of Towing license. Before that I held a 200t masters and 1600 mate testing after 2002… I received a 500t Master and a 3rd mate unlimited in the mail… I’m thinking I may have gotten a little lucky… 2 questions… can I upgrade the 500t Master to 1600t Master on just time alone… and if while researching this, can the evaluator take away my 3/M if he deems that I was given it mistakenly? Thanks

I think you can apply to upgrade from 500 GRT to 1600 GRT on seatime alone without exam.

1 Like

Good friend of mine got to 1600 grt master in the same way you did. Completely legit.

I don’t think they can track these posts…I have a different email account that I deal with the USCG with… Unless of course they really want to do some digging

I also forgot to mention I’ve been working as master in a vessel over 100t but less than 200t for 3 years now… Maybe that had something to do with it

That method of getting a third mate license requires that one specifically serve as Master while holding a 1600 ton Master license. Also, the resulting 3rd mate license would have a tonnage limit on it.