Question for Mr. Cavo/ Raise in Grade

I have a gentleman that holds a 1600 MATE Oceans and would like to obtain a 200 Ton Master Oceans. I was looking through CFRs and found nothing to tell me the requirements to do this. I did look through the deck exam guide also and found that a 200 Ton Mate can upgrade to 200 Ton Master with no additional testing. Being this guy holds a 1600 Mate Oceas and has completed all of the testing and OICNW training, would he have take a complete test to upgrade to 200 Ton Master Oceans? He has the authority to operate a vessel of not more than 100 tons with his current license.

Please let me know what you find on this. Thanks Bunches, Gretchen

Since he holds mate 1600, he should be considered as having taken exams superior to mate 200, and should not have to test. However, the exam guide does not specifically state that licenses that are “superior” to Mate 200 also do not test, so it is possible that the exam guide could be read narrowly and only applied to mariners holding mate 200.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;40791]Since he holds mate 1600, he should be considered as having taken exams superior to mate 200, and should not have to test. However, the exam guide does not specifically state that licenses that are “superior” to Mate 200 also do not test, so it is possible that the exam guide could be read narrowly and only applied to mariners holding mate 200.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I thought the same thing. Hopefully for this mariner the NMC sees it that away. As always I appreciate your help.