Mate 1600 GRT and OICNW 3000 GT question.. difference?

Hi All,

I just completed exams at the USCG REC Long Beach, and I gotta say that its a pretty awesome feeling. I’ve been on cloud 9 ever since. Yesterday, my MMC was issued and I now have a 1600 GRT NC mate ticket, along with a OICNW (Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch) 3000 GT. I’m not really sure what to make of it (I was only expecting to get the 1600 GRT mate)

What does the OICNW 3000GT credential mean? Are they related or are they independent of each other? and what is the difference? I’m assuming that a “mate” by definition includes OICNW duties while underway, but I might be wrong.

Thanks

It means you can work on a boat if they crew based on the ITC tonnage instead of the GRT. Pretty much only useful if you work in the GOM.

Wow MassCap. I guess you’ve never worked anywhere else in the world or on a Foreign Flag, huh? Aquabum make sure you search all the CFRs and search this forum. People (including me) give misinformation all the time or there are multiple answers to the same question. OICNW stands for Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch. Every other country in the world uses ITC and the USA refuses to do away with GRT. Your OICNW 3000 GT (ITC) is the “international” equivalent of the domestic 1600 GRT Mate. If you sail on a Foreign Flagged vessel this is what you will be issued in a C of C by the Flag’s maritime authority and this is the STCW portion of your license which will be recognized by foreign countries (STCW signatories). No STCW foreign country will recognize 1600 GRT Mate.

The NC mate endorsement sort of spoils the whole foreign flag/international work concept, unless I’m guilty of giving misinformation.

[QUOTE=aquabum619;137297]Hi All,

I just completed exams at the USCG REC Long Beach, and I gotta say that its a pretty awesome feeling. I’ve been on cloud 9 ever since. Yesterday, my MMC was issued and I now have a 1600 GRT NC mate ticket, along with a OICNW (Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch) 3000 GT. I’m not really sure what to make of it (I was only expecting to get the 1600 GRT mate)

What does the OICNW 3000GT credential mean? Are they related or are they independent of each other? and what is the difference? I’m assuming that a “mate” by definition includes OICNW duties while underway, but I might be wrong. Thanks[/QUOTE]
http://www.gcaptain.com/forum/maritime-training-licensing/14759-mate-1600-grt-oicnw-3000-gt-question-difference.html

Congratulations on passing and getting the endorsements.

Under STCW, “Mate” 2nd Mate, and 3rd Mate are all the “operational level” and the corresponding STCW endorsement is OICNW.

The actual endorsement title is OICNW 500 GT or More, but because your license is for Mate Less Than 1,600 GRT, your OICNW has a limitation to less than 3,000 GRT. This aligns it with the limitations on your license as 1,600 GRT is considered equivalent to 3,000 GT. Prior to March 24, 2014, both the license and the STCW endorsement would have said “Not More Than 1,600 GRT/3,000 GT.”

If you later decide to go for 3rd Mate, you should need sea time only. There would be no additional training and assessments for OICNW, and because the 3rd Mate, 2nd Mate, Mate 500 and Mate 1,600 exams are the same (since Feb. 2002), there is no additional examination to go to 3rd Mate.

Unless you took a “Leadership and Teamworking Skills” course, or completed the assessments for the same, you should have a limitation on your OICNW endorsement that it is not valid after December 31, 2016. To remove that limitation, you will need to take the course or do the assessments.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;138340]
Unless you took a “Leadership and Teamworking Skills” course, or completed the assessments for the same, you should have a limitation on your OICNW endorsement that it is not valid after December 31, 2016. To remove that limitation, you will need to take the course or [B]do the assessments.[/B][/QUOTE]
Searched uscg.mil/nmc to no avail for aforementioned assessments. You have a location for those Mr. Cavo?

[QUOTE=Capt Brian;138362]Searched uscg.mil/nmc to no avail for aforementioned assessments. You have a location for those Mr. Cavo?[/QUOTE]

Here’s all the new NVICs http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/regulations/NVIC/NVIC_2014/nvic.asp I believe what you seek is hidden within.

[QUOTE=Capt Brian;138362]Searched uscg.mil/nmc to no avail for aforementioned assessments. You have a location for those Mr. Cavo?[/QUOTE]

They are in the NVICs for OICNW (NVIC 12-14) and OICEW (NVIC 17-14): http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/regulations/NVIC/NVIC_2014/nvic.asp The assessments are in Enclosure 2 of each. They are nos. 18.1.A to 18.5.A for OICNW and nos. 16.1.A to 16.4.A for OICEW.