OICNW -Who Needs It?

I’ve shoveled through the threads on these forums and on CG web sites and I still can’t figure out who needs the OICNW. It seems from what I have been able to gather that the required classes etc for the endorcement I’ve already had a more extensive class to get my License. I have a 1600GT Master oceans with GL, WR, and oceans towing endorcement. Any help from this great brain trust of a forum would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

It’s a requirement for any license over 200GRT that authorizes service on outside waters, so to even have a 1,600GRT NC/O license (master or mate) you must also have an STCW certification as OICNW. Look for [B]A-II-1[/B] (OICNW >500GT-ITC) & [B]A-II-2[/B] (master & chief mate >500GT-ITC) on your STCW letter or in the “international” section of your MMC Booklet. In other words, you [B]should[/B] already have it.

I thought I would already have it. I can find on my MMC that “I” have been duly Qualified in Accordance with the provisions of Regulations II/2; V1;VI5 and on the STCW cert it says provisions of Regulations II4, V1,VI2, & II2 ----- Is that where it’s covered? I was looking for the words Officer in Chargs of a Navigational Watch or OICNW somewhere on the docs and it’s not there. Thanks for the come back.

Hey Boat
I went through all the OICNW courses as 500GRT Mate and had a separate STCW certificate until I recently upgraded to Master 1600 and now I have just the MMC. The STCW section list II/2; II/4; IV/2; VI/1; VI/2; VI/3; VI/4. My understanding is that I can upgrade to 3rd & 2nd Mate with sea time only and don’t need to test again until Chief Mate.

You’ll never see the words or the acronym OICNW, or any other qualification, just the Roman/Arabic numeral designations. As long as you see [B]II-2[/B] then you should be okay as far as OICNW goes. That is the code for chief mate or master >500GT-ITC, which is a higher designation than [B]II-1[/B] (OICNW >500GT-ITC). There have been issues, unresolved so far as I know, about the CG not putting all of the codes on the MMC’s and then mariners being given trouble by foreign Port State Control officers when they didn’t see things like the code for [I]Rating Forming Part of a Navigation Watch[/I] (RFPNW) on there too. I had heard that the CG was going to start putting all of the codes in the MMC’s but I don’t know if they actually ever started doing it.

[QUOTE=10talents;27658]Hey Boat
I went through all the OICNW courses as 500GRT Mate and had a separate STCW certificate until I recently upgraded to Master 1600 and now I have just the MMC. The STCW section list II/2; II/4; IV/2; VI/1; VI/2; VI/3; VI/4. My understanding is that I can upgrade to 3rd & 2nd Mate with sea time only and don’t need to test again until Chief Mate.[/QUOTE]

I think that is true depending on when you tested for 500 ton master or mate

you can also do the 70 question crossover from 2nd mate to 1600 master

you can also do the 70 question crossover from 2nd mate to 1600 master

You can go the other way as well I think. Doesn’t your 1600GRT Master oceans alow you to sail as 2nd UNL without further testing or time in grade?<!-- / message –>

[QUOTE=Boatahaulic;27789]You can go the other way as well I think. Doesn’t your 1600GRT Master oceans alow you to sail as 2nd UNL without further testing or time in grade?<!-- / message -->[/QUOTE]

Nah, it’s the other way around…2nd unl allows you to go 1600ton Master with a seventy question crossover exam.

Does anyone know what it takes to go the other way from 1600GRT Master to 2nd UNL? It really doesn’t show on the 46 11.40? block diagram.

Umm…mine actually says it…

[quote=Cal;27813]Umm…mine actually says it…

Mate tickets read OICNW. The Master ticket only list the STCW reference numbers.

Damn, always trying to keep a man down. :smiley:

Never do I desire to keep an individual down, especially for my own glory
but always willing to lend a hand, sit back and listen to their story. :cool:
Very good work on the Mate Ticket (not an easy task).

[quote=10talents;27858]Never do I desire to keep an individual down, especially for my own glory
but always willing to lend a hand, sit back and listen to their story. :cool:
Very good work on the Mate Ticket (not an easy task). [/quote]

Had to go for the humor, albeit twisted, for my lack of knowledge. But, like they say, you learn something new every day.

You’ve got two choices in life, you can laugh or you can cry. I’d like to think that most times I choose to laugh. :wink:

[QUOTE=10talents;27658]Hey Boat
I went through all the OICNW courses as 500GRT Mate and had a separate STCW certificate until I recently upgraded to Master 1600 and now I have just the MMC. The STCW section list II/2; II/4; IV/2; VI/1; VI/2; VI/3; VI/4. My understanding is that I can upgrade to 3rd & 2nd Mate with sea time only and don’t need to test again until Chief Mate.[/QUOTE]
hmmm, i would be interested in hearing if you dont have to test. i just was told yesterday (i have the oicnw classes) that even though i hold a 1600 ton oceans, that i would have to test again…all 7 modules.

[QUOTE=captlaura;27880]hmmm, i would be interested in hearing if you dont have to test. i just was told yesterday (i have the oicnw classes) that even though i hold a 1600 ton oceans, that i would have to test again…all 7 modules.[/QUOTE]

Did you test under the new system or old system. If you tested prior to 2002, I believe is the year. Then you have to retest. If you tested under the new system then you are good to go.